Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 6, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #19,396 of 24,690

I think you are going to have to start adding in a "Rift Factor" on the ratings so us peon's without can gauge accurately
biggrin.gif

Lol yeah. But in most movies that factor would not weight in as heavy as in this one. Hardcore henry should really be watched through a HMD. But wonder how many can stomach it.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #19,397 of 24,690
The Program - 9/10

I don't think this one got very many good reviews, but I found it fascinating.
Of course i'm kind of clueless about what really happened before I watched this.
I would need to check into how accurate this movie is.

Eddie the Eagle - 10/10

Sorry, but I loved this one and found it to be the most fun i've had watching a movie in a very long time.
I wish there were more movies like this. Reminds me of "World's Fastest Indian" a lot (which is a personal favorite).

That ending was a bit overblown...with the crowds lifting him onto their shoulders. LOL maybe that happened in "real life". Doubt it!

BTW I'm now watching the entire Walking DEAD seasons from 1-6 over again. This will be my third time through and I HATE horror movies.
I hated Season 2 the first time I saw it, but now it's one of my favorites. It's pretty cool how much each character has changed throughout every series (especially Daryl).
Too bad they seem to kill off all my favorite characters.One episode felt like a soap opera in Season 2 but it was kind of required.

Dale is a very underrated character IMO

The last episode of the latest season was a major disappointment. They hyped it up way too much.
I really hate watching this series unless it's all in one go and 1 episode per week.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #19,398 of 24,690

The Neon Demon - 8/10

Having seen three of his previous offerings, I've come to regard Nicolas Winding Refn - like many others I suspect - as something of a pedlar of style over substance. In this film, he takes the mantle and runs with it, seemingly on a bloody-minded mission to prove his critics right by not only conforming to type but displaying absolute mastery of it. In doing so though, he's made his most alluring and captivating film to date in my view.

The fourth wall is almost brought down by the vacuous fashion designer's assertion "beauty is not everything, it's the only thing". At this point, wholesome (but equally vacuous) Dean asks Jesse if she wants to go, presuming, along with the audience, that having been confronted with such a blatant admission of style over substance she will assent. "If you want to go, go" she replies with casual disdain.

By this point though, Jesse has undergone a transformation that began with the discovery of a wildcat in her apartment - her totemic power animal - culminating in the ascension to power on the catwalk and the triangle of mirrors: a transformation from prey to predator.

It's not a film without parallels - there are echoes of Black Swan and American MaryInland Empire too, but only superficially; I don't think for a minute Refn's films have Lynch's depth or complexity. The closest parallel to my mind, is Starry Eyes, but The Neon Demon is less direct in its retelling of the classic Faustian pact and less conformant to genre. Refn himself has said the film is about the "insanity of beauty", and I can see what he means - it strongly recalls Suspiria, not just stylistically but also in its descent into madness, moving from the hyper-real into the realm of magical realism towards the end of the film. The campiness and OTT genre tropes start to ramp up by this point too and that will turn a lot of people off but I see it as Refn's playful nod to his Giallo inspirations and a bit of fan service for the horror crowd.

The nature of 'The Neon Demon' is never defined but could refer to the inherently destructive potential of beauty as currency in an increasingly image-obsessed world. As soon as Jesse begins to take ownership of her image and assert her power, she finds herself ambushed by forces that would destroy her if they can't control her. Ultimately, her beauty is a curse.

When all is said and done, this is still a Refn film and Refn in full-on provocateur mode at that, so inevitably the best thing about it is its visual style - eye-popping colours, dynamic lighting and camera work and immaculate mise en scène. Together with a stormer of an electronic soundtrack and crisp sound design, it makes a huge sensory impact that even the film's biggest detractors would be hard pushed to deny.

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #19,399 of 24,690

2 out of 10. The car was cool.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #19,400 of 24,690
The car was cool but always shot in the dark, can't see the coolness, not like the car in The Dark Knight, looks so much cooler.
I agree it is 2/10 btw.

Gotham: 9.9/10. Plot, acting, pace, setting, almost perfect, save 10/10 for God :p

Zootopia: 9.5/10. Not really recent but I haven't mention here.

Warcraft: 3/10. Dialog is not clear, more like mumbling, plot not smooth, picture not clear also.

Finding Dory: 6.5/10. Good but if you have been watching Finding Nemo for 10 times (my kids willing), it's pretty similar movie, not as fresh as Zootopia.

Jul 7, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #19,401 of 24,690
The Mermaid - 8/10

Latest movie from Stephen Chow. Craziest movie i've seen in years. Quite a lot of extremely funny parts.
I think many Americans would find this a bit too weird. Somehow I found this at Redbox and it was subtitled!

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #19,402 of 24,690
The car was cool but always shot in the dark, can't see the coolness, not like the car in The Dark Knight, looks so much cooler.
I agree it is 2/10 btw.

I'm the guy with all the Batman DVD box sets, the guy who saw the movies in the cinema and who watches the DVDs again and again. I wanted to like it, I can't imagine how bad it would be for someone not into Batman?

It just goes to show that formulas work at times and at times they don't. I can't help but think the movie was hurt by the casting. Most of the roles were simply not held by actors right for the part in my opinion.

Makes the old Batman movies look good though. That is a positive note?

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #19,403 of 24,690
I quite like Batman but maybe not as much as you. I have Tumbler Batman toy car and as you can see my avatar is, well, Joker from The Dark Knight. I was so disappointed the movie made this way. The Batman was so 'fat' and sluggish, slow. I keep thinking do I see Batman or Robocop ????
Batman need Christopher Nolan to show its best!

Jul 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #19,404 of 24,690

I quite like Batman but maybe not as much as you. I have Tumbler Batman toy car and as you can see my avatar is, well, Joker from The Dark Knight. I was so disappointed the movie made this way. The Batman was so 'fat' and sluggish, slow. I keep thinking do I see Batman or Robocop ????
Batman need Christopher Nolan to show its best!

Again it seems we have the controversy as to which is the best Batman. In the 1990s folks were not sure who was the best actor. Now we come to appreciate Nolan more, though at the time his trilogy was in high regard by many.

Jul 7, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #19,405 of 24,690

Again it seems we have the controversy as to which is the best Batman. In the 1990s folks were not sure who was the best actor. Now we come to appreciate Nolan more, though at the time his trilogy was in high regard by many.

Keaton in the first film, and by a wide mark. Dishevelled, stunned by the loss of his parents. He brought the view of comedic input in dealing with horrific loss to a character as dark as can be without turning the film into the 60's series. If times had been different, Nolan directing Keaton would have been stunning and it would have been an absolute one off. No sequel would have been attempted.

Confesssion Bman vs Superman. I could not review it as 3 minutes did me in. That is in fact a personal record.

Lets see if asspick can torpedo Suicide Squad in the same manner.

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #19,406 of 24,690
Keaton in the first film, and by a wide mark. Dishevelled, stunned by the loss of his parents. He brought the view of comedic input in dealing with horrific loss to a character as dark as can be without turning the film into the 60's series. If times had been different, Nolan directing Keaton would have been stunning and it would have been an absolute one off. No sequel would have been attempted.

Confesssion Bman vs Superman. I could not review it as 3 minutes did me in. That is in fact a personal record.

Torpedo :smirk:

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #19,407 of 24,690

Keaton and Bale both are good, but I prefer Bale more.  Definitely not ... ! 

Well, actually I love this guy more:

or shall I say I am a fan of Joker?
He's my best actors, eva!!

If there's no Wonder Woman in the movie, I would have given it score 1

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #19,408 of 24,690

Call me old fashioned or just call me old, 1992 had a singularity of style and form. Casting was perfect, acting ? Well...................10/10.

So what is so hard about doing it again? That is what is special, that lighting never hits in the same place twice.

I'm not even saying this is the best Batman, it's just one of em.

Jul 8, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #19,410 of 24,690
"Money Monster" [6.8/10]: Despite my rating I didn't hate this movie. I enjoyed the interaction between Julia Roberts and George Clooney's characters, and I'm a sucker for a desperate underdog against the establishment movie. The story kept my attention. However, the script was formulaic to the max, and the performances, for the most part, were "phoned in." After a great workout, I went to see the film on impulse in a "second run"/discount theater that is directly beside the gym. I had a bag of popcorn and enjoyed my own spontaneity. A good film to see on HBO or when it gets to cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back