Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 19, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #19,336 of 24,675
Momentum  4/10

I might have rated this higher but the ending was superfluous and as asinine as can be. Good thing it's an election year and all the crazies are out, even in the film industry. Poorly used nods to Frankenheimer and an attempt to be a Besson film which it definitely is not. If you have an insatiable appetite for Transporter, Taken and actioners of the like this may be right up your alley. Olga Kurylenko really is lukewarm trying to be Anne Parillaud, James Purefoy OK as the villain, Morgan Freeman, mailing in his lines from whatever National Geographic location shoot he is narrating. Cinematography brutally marred by the directors outright obsession with Kurylenko's feet. Not since Tarantino got hold of Uma Thurman have we seen this kind of podophilia and quite honestly it creeps me out no end.

Explosions, impalements, shootings, crushings car chases impalement all the regular superhuman action machine elements are here.

If you are not a fan of the genre wait for that night when its on tv at a million o'clock in the morning and you have insomnia.

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #19,337 of 24,675
Kingsman: The Secret Service [8.5+/10]

This is a movie you rate on entertainment and small touches. And it delivers entertainment in spades. You don’t nitpick on things like plausibility or continuity. You sit down, buckle up, look over at your tame racing driver with cautious optimism, hold onto your knickers, and enjoy the ride.

It really looked like everyone involved was having fun. Which really lets you enjoy what’s happening too. It was rich in parody and referential treatments. The movie was also rich in action sequences which felt grand even though they were mostly confined to interiors. A great example was how they made the opening part of the church fight sequence a oner, or feel like one, measured clarity in the chaos. The film did a great job of creating sequences you wouldn’t expect or plays on what what you would expect which keeps you interested and on your toes.

And Gazelle was awesome. Great character and execution for this type of movie.

Shattered my expectations from the very opening car sequence and just picked up momemtum from there. The feeling was pretty much that after a great amusement park ride or other experience. *Look over at friends* - “That was awesome! Let’s go again.”

And if you think nitpicking is fun anyway, and it is:

Jun 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #19,338 of 24,675
  Kingsman: The Secret Service [8.5+/10]

Agreed, very enjoyable movie. That church scene was so crazy I had to watch it 2-3 times over just to take it all in. One of my favorite quotes was used in the movie. Well-clad master says to young apprentice:

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
- Quote originally by Ernest Hemingway. -

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #19,339 of 24,675

Local Hero - 3/10

Doesn't seem sure if it wants to be a comedy or a drama and ends up being neither. Bland is the word that springs to mind. The film is ostensibly about corporate land grabs and the effect on communities but we spend most of the time following an uncharismatic lead aimlessly around a small Scottish fishing village. No real surprises plot-wise and it ends of a whimper. Most notable perhaps for being an early role for Peter Capaldi - only his second film in fact.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #19,340 of 24,675

Local Hero - 3/10

Doesn't seem sure if it wants to be a comedy or a drama and ends up being neither. Bland is the word that springs to mind. The film is ostensibly about corporate land grabs and the effect on communities but we spend most of the time following an uncharismatic lead aimlessly around a small Scottish fishing village. No real surprises plot-wise and it ends of a whimper. Most notable perhaps for being an early role for Peter Capaldi - only his second film in fact.

Shows it age way to much to be taken in the vein it was intended upon its release.

A better take on the fish out of water scenario was 2001's No Such Thing. That one is a must see. The Coca Cola Kid did it better as well.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #19,341 of 24,675

Shows it age way to much to be taken in the vein it was intended upon its release.

A better take on the fish out of water scenario was 2001's No Such Thing. That one is a must see. The Coca Cola Kid did it better as well.

I'd go with The Wicker Man personally 
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how it was intended upon its release, but it comes off as a weak sauce Northern Exposure to me. It's also only in movies like this where oil companies have a conscience and the CEO would rather go star gazing than tie up a multi million pound deal!

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #19,342 of 24,675

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #19,343 of 24,675

I'd go with The Wicker Man personally 
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how it was intended upon its release, but it comes off as a weak sauce Northern Exposure to me. It's also only in movies like this where oil companies have a conscience and the CEO would rather go star gazing than tie up a multi million pound deal!

Push to shove. I'm still with No Such Thing marginally there just for location and lack of budget.

Look at the climate back in 1983. Thatcher just in again in a landslide, OPEC cutting production to maintain  oil prices which were diving from a glut and the backlash of the 70's "Energy Crisis", Regan implementing the first increase in crude oil taxes and trying to sell Star Wars to the masses. Huge Protests in England to get American missiles and nukes out. 
I miss that. It cost me 9 dollars to fuel my Celica for an entire week at the time.

It was a "feel good film" showing there is hope for the little guy.  I don't think it's a great film by any means but it was entertaining at the time.

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #19,344 of 24,675
[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_SAHvu7gU [/VIDEO]

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #19,345 of 24,675
Babel [5.5/10]

I’ve rarely seen a film with such a hard line of love it or hate it as much as this one. If you look at the IMDB reviews its just a sea of 1’s and 9’s.

I had trouble with this film. It’s demands on the viewer are incredibly lofty given the issues with the plot and superficial nature of the humanistic, social and political commentary the film is trying to pass off.

The titular commentary the film allegedly claims is that our issues communicating and understanding each other are a key cause of our issues and the troubles we find ourselves in. While this might not be inherently untrue, at least in part, the film delivers this in an incredibly superficial way. The film pretty much uses the butterfly effect as a key plot device, but it also uses it as a commentary on the consequences of our actions. Unfortunately, the script pretty much pushes people into making these choices. As a consequence, the intended introspection for the viewer just doesn’t hold or resonate. The message seems more a plot device for an artsy Oscar vehicle than anything else.

There is just too much use of convenient characterizations and plot devices to make things happen, or mostly make them worse, rather than letting the plot and characters develop organically. Consequently, this makes the tugging of heartstrings very artificial. They are used to create tension where the timing and circumstances are just not believable. You pretty much sit there for over 2 hours going “riiiiight” and “of course”.

Many tertiary characters appear to be given personality traits which serve no purpose but to incite drama and conflict. Do such people exist? Of course. Should they all be huddled conveniently together in the powder keg with the slowest burning fuse ever? Not for my tastes.

The only story which showed any promise was the Chieko arc, and that was literally as almost completely detached from the other stories as plausibly possible. If taken on its own, it makes for an interesting short film with strong performances. It’s significantly less heavy handed in areas where the other plot lines are, but is aggressive in its own way and other areas.The juxtaposition of these elements here was more effective due to the cinematography and pacing.

Really, the main reasons to watch this film are the cinematography, which is simple but reasonably rich, and the strong performances by the supporting cast. The music was also well done and integrated. These basically make up my score. When plot devices and emotional manipulation are what come to mind after seeing a movie, I think the score is generous.

It reminds me of when I read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair long, long ago. I hardly remember the book, but what I do remember is that it felt like the author was just making everything that could possibly go wrong for the main characters do so, to artificially push for an emotional impact and response from the reader. There’s a word for exactly this tactic which escapes me right now, but it really felt applicable to this film. If anyone knows the word, please remind me lol.

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #19,346 of 24,675
Conjuring 2 ( 2016) 6.5/10

Pretty typical horror movie accurately following all the cliches of the genre. Completely predictable with lots of cheesy turns. Good job of a marketing team who hyped both Conjuring movies as something big and special.

Jun 21, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #19,348 of 24,675
[VIDEO] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XD_SAHvu7gU [/VIDEO]

Not sure what to make of this movie. Looks interesting but I'm afraid they'll ruin it. But I don't have any experience with the source material.

@vwinter
Melodramatic? Babel sounds like a poor man's Amores Perros...

That was my first thought but I could have sworn there was a more exact word. I have a feeling it starts with an M too... Maybe it is melodramatic and I'm crazy.

[rule]

A Beautiful Mind [3/10]

I couldn't get through this.

That's saying something given that I like Russell Crowe, I like Ed Harris, and probably have a thing for Jennifer Connelly.

At no point in the first hour of this film were they able to create a even an inkling of tension. Even worse at this than The Imitation Game. And they made absolutely zero attempt at exposition regarding his talent at mathematics or what he did to... well do anything. He might as well have been depicted as Ms. Cleo the mathematician. It was pretty insulting to the viewer IMO.

I get that this was supposed to be a movie about his illness and not really about the technicalities. But the fact that both of the above were inextricable from the equation, and that they spent a hour setting it up. That's unforgivable.

Doubt I'll ever finish this.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #19,349 of 24,675
The Martian - 6/10

I watched this last night for the 2nd time. Thought maybe it would improve if I watched it at home.
My impressions haven't changed much. I probably rated it before and gave it a 6.5 or something?

The first half was ok, but then I really just get bored with it. It just seems to drag on and on. I think if they chopped 20 minutes off it would be better.
I don't have a short attention span, but I just had a hard time finding any of this interesting.

I think the only reason I like this is it's characters (and the actors). It's pretty amazing to me that Matt Damon got a nomination for this over Will Smith.
Matt Damon was actually better in "Interstellar".

Somehow I think this would have been 10x more entertaining if Ron Howard directed it. "Apollo 13" and "The Right Stuff" are way better movies.
Heard Interstellar was pretty OK too.

Lonesome Dove - 6.5/10

I do like westerns but I find this one to be a little overrated. It's so slow paced too, but somehow I finished it.
My two favorites are "Open Range" and "High Noon". Can't stand the ones with John Wayne for some reason.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #19,350 of 24,675
Not sure what to make of this movie. Looks interesting but I'm afraid they'll ruin it. But I don't have any experience with the source material.
That was my first thought but I could have sworn there was a more exact word. I have a feeling it starts with an M too... Maybe it is melodramatic and I'm crazy.

[rule]

A Beautiful Mind [3/10]

I couldn't get through this.

That's saying something given that I like Russell Crowe, I like Ed Harris, and probably have a thing for Jennifer Connelly.

At no point in the first hour of this film were they able to create a even an inkling of tension. Even worse at this than The Imitation Game. And they made absolutely zero attempt at exposition regarding his talent at mathematics or what he did to... well do anything. He might as well have been depicted as Ms. Cleo the mathematician. It was pretty insulting to the viewer IMO.

I get that this was supposed to be a movie about his illness and not really about the technicalities. But the fact that both of the above were inextricable from the equation, and that they spent a hour setting it up. That's unforgivable.

Doubt I'll ever finish this.

It's the same comic book template but with a twist as the super hero characters are bad guys. The effects look cool and maybe it has a few "one liners" like Clint Eastwood made famous in the 1970s?

You know tough guy remarks, of course they are pushing the Joker character as he was always a box office draw. Keeping things maybe with what they know will work.

You can see they borrowed a character from real life, or at least the look. There is a criminal which tattooed his face to look like a skull, so of course they have to bring their own take on that guy. If he was in an orange jump suit it would actually be startling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back