Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #1,831 of 24,690
blood diamond: 7/10

insanely brutal story of the diamond trade in modern africa. relentlessly and graphically violent, but with some good performances.

poltergeist: 8.5/10

the film Stephen Spielberg made right before e.t., it says it was directed by tobe hooper, but that was a ruse (spielberg was under contract and ghost-directed (heh) this one). everything about this film is top notch, and the new dvd is great.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #1,832 of 24,690
The Dark Knight: 9/10

Heath Ledger was pure genius. The entire movie was extremely well done. The whole time I was in the theater I was tense because I thought something bad was going to happen to anyone at any second. The directors did such a fantastic job at putting you in Gotham City, I was blown away.

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #1,833 of 24,690
dark night- 7 or 8/10

21- 5/10

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #1,835 of 24,690
Flawless (2007) 7/10

The ending was kinda predictable, but it was a pretty good psychological/heist thriller. The acting was quite notable.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #1,836 of 24,690
The Dark Knight

4/10, just terrible.

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #1,837 of 24,690
Dark Knight - 5/10

Had to see what the fuzz is about. I guess you had to have a love for Batman as a kid or comics to fully appreciate this. As the movie developed it got worse to the point that I totally lost interest in the last half hour. It was not the acting. It just didnt build up and slowly died.

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #1,840 of 24,690
Just watched "The dark knight" - 8.5/10 i usually don't like action films...but this one was not totally focused on action...not at all, plenty of long and intelligent dialogue, story is well developed, Ledger's interpretation of the joker is just unbelievable...one of the best performances i've seen ths year...along with Daniel Day Lewis in "There will be blood" IMO
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #1,842 of 24,690
[size=small]Vision Quest [/size] 10/10
Vision Quest (1985)

The best sports/coming of age flick of the 80’s.

The artificial pump-up I get out of this flick rivals a teenager stoking his first Airsoft pistol. It made me want to go running at 2:00 am and get a mohawk. A lot of that pump comes form the perfectly overlaid soundtrack, with greats like Only The Young – Journey, Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider (that scene gave me the chills), and original stuff from Tangerine Dream (who did the hypnotic soundtrack for the fantasy movie Legend).

The nice thing about it, it’s not a complete testosterone bath. Mathew Modine has a determined innocence that I celebrated in the end with a lot of fist pumping and yelps of “damn right Shute.”

As far as a coming of age films, I’ll duck under my desk and dare say that this one rivals some of Louis Malle’s work.
smile.gif

For those with Netflix, it’s part of their “watch instantly” line-up.:
Netflix Online Movie Rentals - Rent DVDs, Classic Films to DVD New Releases

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #1,843 of 24,690
"There Will Be Blood" - 9/10

It's hard to remember what an unrepentent muckracker Upton Sinclaire was, but this is a good reminder. Sinclaire's conscienseless hyperbolic pedantry fully matched the "robber barons" of the Victorian era and served as a model to present day media and other liberals. In this rehash of Sinclair's "Oil!", the characters of Daniel Plainview and Eli Sunday (you gotta love the irony of the names after expereincing the story) are two men who move through the years with no evolution of their dark conciousnesses. The setting, cinematography, editing and Radiohead's Greenwood's quirky, percussive soundtrack back up consistently excellent acting to make this one seamless movie pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back