Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 9, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #16,996 of 24,690
Maybe it's just me, but I watch some other Nolan movies multiple times (Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Interstellar).

Definitely adding Memento to my movie-to-see list then.

Don't forget "The Prestige"!
I can't get enough of that movie. :D

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #16,997 of 24,690
^
Already watch it, and yeah I quite like it as well.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #16,998 of 24,690
The Abyss. Even better then I remembered it maybe this is Camerons finest but there is so much to choose from of course. 10/10 just to bad it only got a laserdisc release. Yes it´s a laserdisc transfer widescreen in 4:3 box so if you don´t have a player that can zoom out the picture you won´t make use of much of your screen... 

However on my 50" plasma it was perfectly watchable zoomed out but this movie it´s so underserved it´s breathtaking by this dvd release. There is only this "special edition" there is no more :frowning2: It´s mindblowing how it´s possible. It´s a big budget hollywood movie from quite a well known director how can it be forgotten like this?

Might add that the documentary is perhaps the best ever also.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #16,999 of 24,690
The Abyss. Even better then I remembered it maybe this is Camerons finest but there is so much to choose from of course. 10/10 just to bad it only got a laserdisc release. Yes it´s a laserdisc transfer widescreen in 4:3 box so if you don´t have a player that can zoom out the picture you won´t make use of much of your screen... 

However on my 50" plasma it was perfectly watchable zoomed out but this movie it´s so underserved it´s breathtaking by this dvd release. There is only this "special edition" there is no more :frowning2: It´s mindblowing how it´s possible. It´s a big budget hollywood movie from quite a well known director how can it be forgotten like this?

Might add that the documentary is perhaps the best ever also.

+1
I have the DVD version, still waiting for the Ultra, Super Custom Special Blu-Ray release!
This movie deserves the "Deluxe" treatment.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #17,000 of 24,690
My personal favorite from Cameron is Terminator 2: Judgement Day, but yeah The Abyss is up there as well.

Movies like these are one of the reason why getting high-end audio system make sense :D

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #17,001 of 24,690
My personal favorite from Cameron is Terminator 2: Judgement Day, but yeah The Abyss is up there as well.

Movies like these are one of the reason why getting high-end audio system make sense :D

T2:
huge amounts of awesome sauce were poured all over that movie!
:D

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #17,002 of 24,690
  The Dead Lands
A little violent for my tastes, but interesting and I enjoyed it.  If you enjoyed Apocalypto you'll like this one.  A lot like Apocalypto, but a bit darker and more sinister.   A little more centered around evil spirituality , curses, the "boogey man" aspects of native american life.

Huh??????????????????

Okay I just watched a film of the same name and.  As it turns out it is a remarkably well done Maori (New Zealand Natives, in case you are unfamiliar) Kung Fu revenge flic. Of particular interest to me was the Maori weapons and fighting style. Odd choice for the director to film in the Native language with subtitles but it works remarkably well. Touches on the culture of ancestors watching over us and does so well within the limits the director sets out for himself.

Worth a watch for anyone just for it's pure uniqueness. For action fans of the Kung Fu bent it would have to be a must see.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #17,003 of 24,690
The Prestige (8/10): Classic Nolan film. Interesting, exciting, amazing acting. One of those movies that you keep thinking about for several days after seeing it.

Interstellar (6.5/10): I liked the idea and appreciated the ambition but it just didn't resonate with me like other Nolan films. It was a good movie but not really engrossing. I really liked the silence in the space scenes though. Loud explosions inside of a vacuum have always bothered me in movies. 

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (6.5/10): Not a great plot and the characters were pretty "meh" but it was fun to look at and the pace kept up most of the time. Good movie if you want to be entertained without thinking too much. 

Godfather (9/10): My first time seeing this. Absolutely lived up to the hype.

The Bridge on the River Kwai (8.5/10): Decided to start checking out some older films. Other than Easy Riders (10/10 One of my all-time favorites) I struggled to enjoy most movies before the 70's. This one was fantastic and motivated me to check out some other David Lean films.

Lawrence of Arabia (9.5/10): Watched after 'River Kwai.' Incredible epic film. Not much else to say here.

Doctor Zhivago: (7/10): A bit of a disappointment after watching Lean's previous two movies. Still very good though. I don't want to undersell it

Apr 11, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #17,004 of 24,690
Fast and Furious 7: 

10/10

(Keep in mind that i am a massive car enthusiast)

Probably the best F&F movie ever made. Everything about it was terrific. I like how they kept Brian's (Paul Walker) character in the story despite his death. I also like the choice of music (except one song), i found it perfectly fitting to the scenes. The cars were also pretty awesome. The white Supra at the end brought joy to my eyes and so did Dom's '69 Charger. And then there's that ending, and what an ending it was.
This is going to be a hard one to follow, if they're making Furious 8, i can't imagine them making it better than this one. 

Just a side note: If you're one of these people that complain about movies being unrealistic, don't watch it. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #17,005 of 24,690
  The Prestige (8/10): Classic Nolan film. Interesting, exciting, amazing acting. One of those movies that you keep thinking about for several days after seeing it.

Interstellar (6.5/10): I liked the idea and appreciated the ambition but it just didn't resonate with me like other Nolan films. It was a good movie but not really engrossing. I really liked the silence in the space scenes though. Loud explosions inside of a vacuum have always bothered me in movies. 

Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (6.5/10): Not a great plot and the characters were pretty "meh" but it was fun to look at and the pace kept up most of the time. Good movie if you want to be entertained without thinking too much. 

Godfather (9/10): My first time seeing this. Absolutely lived up to the hype.

The Bridge on the River Kwai (8.5/10): Decided to start checking out some older films. Other than Easy Riders (10/10 One of my all-time favorites) I struggled to enjoy most movies before the 70's. This one was fantastic and motivated me to check out some other David Lean films.

Lawrence of Arabia (9.5/10): Watched after 'River Kwai.' Incredible epic film. Not much else to say here.

Doctor Zhivago: (7/10): A bit of a disappointment after watching Lean's previous two movies. Still very good though. I don't want to undersell it

You didn't give LoA 10/10.?   Credibility ruined!

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #17,006 of 24,690
  Fast and Furious 7: 

10/10

(Keep in mind that i am a massive car enthusiast)

Probably the best F&F movie ever made. Everything about it was terrific. I like how they kept Brian's (Paul Walker) character in the story despite his death. I also like the choice of music (except one song), i found it perfectly fitting to the scenes. The cars were also pretty awesome. The white Supra at the end brought joy to my eyes and so did Dom's '69 Charger. And then there's that ending, and what an ending it was.
This is going to be a hard one to follow, if they're making Furious 8, i can't imagine them making it better than this one. 

Just a side note: If you're one of these people that complain about movies being unrealistic, don't watch it. 

I dunno. I love the series, but it got a cliched as cliched can be.

I was literally predicting the one-liners and comebacks they'd use. The Action scenes were amazing, as usual. Still, the whole thing felt forgettable, other than the Paul Walker tribute at the end. Funny enough, it seems ninjas were sneaking around, chopping fresh onions in the theater during the tribute. 

Idk, I guess it's a bit like watching Lebron James on a fast break. You know he's going to dunk it. You know he's going to jump really high and do a tomahawk with the right hand. It just gets predictable.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #17,007 of 24,690

This film is my standard for cinematic epic. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #17,008 of 24,690
The Magnificent Seven - 6/10

Wanted to see this because I like all the actors and the director of this also made "The Great Escape" which i've seen 100+ times.
Too bad it was incredibly boring. All of it. I hit pause and fell asleep during the movie the first time around.  I remember checking the running time at one point and was surprised it was almost over yet nothing really interesting had happened yet.
Somehow movies rarely bore me.

FYI I also disliked "The Seven Samurai" which this is based on. Most Akira Kurosawa movies bore me to death unless it's one of his non-samurai films like "Red Beard" or "The Lower Depths".
His movie "One Wonderful Sunday" is impossible to sit through.

Two more on my most boring movies list is "Flowers of Shanghai" and "Ulysse's Gaze".

BTW I also love "Bridge on the River Kwai". I use to watch that every week. Somehow when I saw it in the theater it ruined it temporarily for me and I didn't like it as much. Not sure why. Haven't seen it since..
I probably have seen it a 100 times or more.

"Passage to India" is also known to be one of David Lean's best films

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #17,009 of 24,690
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010): 7/10

The jokes that have always fallen flat fall flatter for me every time I watch it, but conversely, the great moments keep on getting greater. I can't help but feel like it could have used a bit more time in the oven, and some of the performances are of questionable merit, but the film's sense of vitality and fun is as charming as it's always been, at least if you're a member (past or present) of this film's almost laser-point-specific target demographic. Still, it's got everything that it needs to remain a minor cult film, and who says that it needs to be anything more than that?

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #17,010 of 24,690

You didn't give LoA 10/10.?   Credibility ruined!

I might very well change it to a 10. For me to give a perfect score, the movie has to belong with the other perfect score movies. I'm not sure Lawrence is there for me personally but it is truly a great film. Easy Riders, while it may not be "better" than LoA, had huge effect on me and my perception of films. It's one of those movies where, even after it being over a year since I saw it, I'll just be sitting around and randomly start reliving the movie again. I've done the same with LoA since I've seen it but that was only a few days ago. We'll see how I feel in a year or so... I'd probably say LoA is the best film I've seen since I saw Easy Riders.

This film is my standard for cinematic epic. 

Any other cinematic epics you'd recommend off-hand? Lawrence, I think, would have to be my standard as well now that I've seen it. I can't think of anything that comes close in terms of sheer "epicness" 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back