Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #16,982 of 24,690
The Battle for Sevastopol ( 2015) 8/10

Critics say that this is the best Russian WWII movie in 25 years. At last Russians managed to make a good war movie and...nobody wants to buy it probably because of Russia's politics or because of other reasons ( different markets in the world defend their strategic interests and filter foreign influence). At least inferior Russian film Stalingrad ( 2014) was released in the USA last year. Also it is an Ukraine-Russia co-production. It is about a Ukrainian woman, a sniper who killed more than 300 German soldiers. Creators of the film managed to make it in such a way that it is not easy to find ideology behind it.

A song from the soundtrack to the film ( popular Ukrainian band Okean Elzy):

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #16,983 of 24,690

Critics say that this is the best Russian WWII movie in 25 years. At last Russians managed to make a good war movie and...nobody wants to buy it probably because of Russia's politics or because of other reasons ( different markets in the world defend their strategic interests and filter foreign influence). At least inferior Russian film Stalingrad ( 2014) was released in the USA last year. Also it is an Ukraine-Russia co-production. It is about a Ukrainian woman, a sniper who killed more than 300 German soldiers. Creators of the film managed to make it in such a way that it is not easy to find ideology behind it.

A song from the soundtrack to the film ( popular Ukrainian band Okean Elzi):

Thanks, I'll definitely have to watch it!

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #16,984 of 24,690

Oddly enough that reel of refuse known as Stalingrad played directly to hollywood sensibilities with it's Jim Cameron inspired love story where it was completely inappropriate. Turnabout being fairplay and all the German film of the same name from 1993(?) also staring Thomas Kretchman is miles   above, a better treatment of the event.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #16,985 of 24,690
The Dead Lands
A little violent for my tastes, but interesting and I enjoyed it.  If you enjoyed Apocalypto you'll like this one.  A lot like Apocalypto, but a bit darker and more sinister.   A little more centered around evil spirituality , curses, the "boogey man" aspects of native american life.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #16,988 of 24,690

Definitely worth watching once. After that it loses its charm, like most of Nolan's movies.

Maybe it's just me, but I watch some other Nolan movies multiple times (Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Interstellar).

Definitely adding Memento to my movie-to-see list then.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #16,989 of 24,690
  Oddly enough that reel of refuse known as Stalingrad played directly to hollywood sensibilities with it's Jim Cameron inspired love story where it was completely inappropriate. Turnabout being fairplay and all the German film of the same name from 1993(?) also staring Thomas Kretchman is miles   above, a better treatment of the event.

Kremlin ideologists decided to bet on a female image in war movies this year. I have no idea why. They started with a story about a female battalion during the First World War.

Then there is The Battle of Sevastopol which is running now. And next there will be a remake of a cult Soviet classic "A zori zdes tikhie" ( 1972). The remake looks like an action film while the original was shot in a realistic manner.

My favorite Russian contemporary war film is In the Fog ( 2012). It is available on Amazon because it was in the main program of Cannes festival.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #16,990 of 24,690

Maybe it's just me, but I watch some other Nolan movies multiple times (Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Interstellar).

Definitely adding Memento to my movie-to-see list then.

You should definitely give "Following" a look. It was the genesis of Nolans filmmaking style.

Kremlin ideologists decided to bet on a female image in war movies this year. I have no idea why. They started with a story about a female battalion during the First World War.

Then there is The Battle of Sevastopol which is running now. And next there will be a remake of a cult Soviet classic "A zori zdes tikhie" ( 1972). The remake looks like an action film while the original was shot in a realistic manner.

My favorite Russian contemporary war film is In the Fog ( 2012). It is available on Amazon because it was in the main program of Cannes festival.

The Dawns Here are Quiet was a brilliant film overlooked by the west. The 70's were not very Soviet friendly . I can see why they would remake it now. Although I really wish they would not. I suppose "Come and See" will be up next as the plauge of remake mania reaches eastward.

I will have to take in Sebastapol. As I am familiar with the story.

I think the female element is being played up to enhance international appeal at this time. Russia wins out on that score as there are a dearth of women in it's recent history worthy of their own stories.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #16,991 of 24,690
  I think the female element is being played up to enhance international appeal at this time. Russia wins out on that score as there are a dearth of women in it's recent history worthy of their own stories.

I think they're trying win the hearts and minds of the folks at home given the political climate.

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #16,994 of 24,690
Hmm turns out there are three movies by Nolan I haven't watch (Following, Memento, Insomnia). Guess I'm all set for this weekend then.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #16,995 of 24,690
  Hmm turns out there are three movies by Nolan I haven't watch (Following, Memento, Insomnia). Guess I'm all set for this weekend then.

Insomnia is a remake of a rather brilliant Scandinavian film. It missed the mark by a bit when translated. Leave it for last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back