RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #421 of 821
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #423 of 821
Good find then!
Also fyi all the dunu cables are available with both 2 pin and mmcx. They really are an amazing deal for a modular iem cable. You really can't go wrong with them.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #424 of 821
Also fyi all the dunu cables are available with both 2 pin and mmcx. They really are an amazing deal for a modular iem cable. You really can't go wrong with them.
Yeah, I have the DUW-02 (OG) and really love it on my IT-07s... :)

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #425 of 821
Sorry, couldn't resist. I was born in Brooklyn 69 years ago next month and grew up there until I was 12, though I now live on the left bank (better known as Hudson County, NJ, immediately across the Hudson). The quote is from a very early song (1969) by Al Stewart, now remembered, if at all, only for The Year of the Cat, though his finest work were the albums between this early one and that hit.

To get back on topic, I'm really intrigued by the Hook X, but I have the Thieaudio Monarch MKII, which sounds glorious and is undoubtedly superior technically. Does the Hook X do anything that makes it a reasonable complement to the Monarch MKII? I'm not using any planars ATM, though I do have an old Hifiman 400i and an Audeze Isine LX (which even with the cypher cable, is probably the worst IEM I've ever owned).
I recently bought the Hook X and have the Monarchs 2 at hand right now (for 4 months now).
My source is Shanling M8 and i dont really like the Monarchs with this player. Dont get me wrong, they sound amazing with everything i plugged them in but i feel that their analytical nature destroys the musicality of the M8. They are just slightly too much on top, analyzing everything like under the microscope.
I prefer the IT07, Xelento, and especially Kineras Nanna and the Hook X with this player.
Technically the Monarchs are superior to the Hook X but i dont feel like im losing anything coming from the Monarchs. And the Hooks have slightly wider stage. They are on the warmer side but not warm. They are very detailed, maybe not microdetails kings but i hear everything with them so they definitely dont lack resolution.
Have found a buyer for my Monarchs already. They are objectively fantastic but music isnt objective and should give fun and emotions. The Hooks do this.

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #426 of 821
I switched the cable on the Hooks for the Queen of audio Furukawa cable which i used as an upgrade cable for the Nannas.
Well im not a cable believer normally but from my experiences with planar iems, the cable has big impact on sound.
The Timeless gain a whole extra level after i changed the cable so i thought i will do the same with the Hook.
The quality of the sound jumped very very significantly. There is no whistling on top, it just doesnt exist. Everything calmed down when it comes to the notes presentation.
The top is superbly clean but very even and natural. The bass tighten up slightly, no huge difference here but it goeas even deeper. The dynamics improved also.
Overall they sound like iems from 700-800 euros tier. They are really really good.

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #427 of 821
Stumbled upon this cable store that makes amazing cables that sound as good as 1K$+ cables, cost me about $240. Put a gold plated silver 8 wire on the Hook, and it just lights up!

20220905_144724.jpg

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #428 of 821
I still find the stock cable to be best for these (for me and for the time being)... But it also might come down to the pairing with the source too. When I get tired of the sound, and feel I want more, maybe I will try cable rolling (though I am not sure how I will get tired of the sound from these "gems").

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #429 of 821
Hey guys, since you're talking about cables, which cable from the XINHS Official Store would you suggest me for my HOOK-X? :)

Asking just out of curiosity. I have only one pair of the HOOK-X and it is permanently connected to my UTWS5. Additionally, I have not listened to them with the stock cable almost at all. Just curious, though, which XINHS cable would you buy for them?

Thank you :)

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #430 of 821
I still find the stock cable to be best for these (for me and for the time being)... But it also might come down to the pairing with the source too. When I get tired of the sound, and feel I want more, maybe I will try cable rolling (though I am not sure how I will get tired of the sound from these "gems").
Yes the stock cable is good enough, which was not the case with the Timeless. But the sound really improves with a better cable, especially in notes quality. The soundstage doesnt change. But yeah, the stock cable is allright.

Sep 5, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #431 of 821
Hey guys, since you're talking about cables, which cable from the XINHS Official Store would you suggest me for my HOOK-X? :)

Asking just out of curiosity. I have only one pair of the HOOK-X and it is permanently connected to my UTWS5. Additionally, I have not listened to them with the stock cable almost at all. Just curious, though, which XINHS cable would you buy for them?

Thank you :)
I want to try a pure 8 Core silver cable, 4 Core Silver can make the sound a bit thin

Kbear - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001722934298.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

XINHS - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002042493770.html?pdp_ext_f={

Toneking - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32982939514.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

NiceHCK - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001704327856.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #432 of 821
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm currently using a XINHS 8-Cores Graphene cable with my KLH, with amazing results and another XINHS 4-Cores Graphene cable with my 7Hz Timeless, the pair I keep wired, the other one is permanently hooked to my second UTWS5, and used to watch movies from my laptop.

What is your opinion about this cable for the HOOK-X?

IMPORTANT! Will the above cable fit my IMR Na-Le? I am expecting them in December...

Sep 5, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #433 of 821
Thanks for your suggestions! I'm currently using a XINHS 8-Cores Graphene cable with my KLH, with amazing results and another XINHS 4-Cores Graphene cable with my 7Hz Timeless, the pair I keep wired, the other one is permanently hooked to my second UTWS5, and used to watch movies from my laptop.

What is your opinion about this cable for the HOOK-X?

IMPORTANT! Will the above cable fit my IMR Na-Le? I am expecting them in December...
Conductor: 8-core single crystal copper silver-plated graphene, why is it called golden?
Gold is a worse conductor than silver and copper.
An alloy of silver and copper can be called gold because of its color.

Silver plating copper is not the best method, as it does not silvered perfectly and needs to be evenly polished.
The best insulation for the cable is Teflon, it makes the background darker without electrical noise.

Recently made a custom cable on Cardas golden section litz wire in teflon, I was expecting more from the sound, but the bass is just perfect on the hook-x, I don't think that silver will give such a full-feeling bass for planar IEMs

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #434 of 821
Gold is a worse conductor than silver and copper.
You are correct, but it isn't used in cables JUST for its conductivity. It is used in most connectors that are exposed to the air because of the combination of conductivity and corrosive resistance. Rhodium is much better than gold but is much more expensive to use.

Graphene is actually a better conductor than both silver and copper. The problem is that it isn't used by itself. Normally they will impregnate either silver or copper with it. In some expensive cables for headphones, they used Kevlar impregnated with graphene.
Recently made a custom cable on Cardas golden straight litz wire in teflon, I was expecting more from the sound, but the bass is just perfect on the hook-x
So, other than the bass, you're saying you weren't happy with the sound with that cable?

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #435 of 821
You are correct, but it isn't used in cables JUST for its conductivity. It is used in most connectors that are exposed to the air because of the combination of conductivity and corrosive resistance. Rhodium is much better than gold but is much more expensive to use.

Graphene is actually a better conductor than both silver and copper. The problem is that it isn't used by itself. Normally they will impregnate either silver or copper with it. In some expensive cables for headphones, they used Kevlar impregnated with graphene.

So, other than the bass, you're saying you weren't happy with the sound with that cable?
Rhodium is a worse conductor than gold, isn't it? Silver-plated connectors are covered with Rhodium for mechanical protection and against oxidation.

As for the sound of the Cardas, it sounds clean but a bit harsh and not as holographic as I expected, but maybe the burn-in will make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back