RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Aug 22, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #391 of 831
based from the comments comparing hook to other popular planars which i was interested in(s12, or timeless), others may be more detailed yet more fatiguing, guess i'm happy to have made the right choice going with hook x for my first (and maybe only planar iem). it isn't fatiguing at all and sound pleasant to hear.

happy won't have to go thru the wasting money phase buying and figuring out which planars suits the best. i think i found the keeper here. plan to only own one anyways. :D

agree it's not the best sounding per se. yet it's unique and worth keeping.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #392 of 831
based from the comments comparing hook to other popular planars which i was interested in(s12, or timeless), others may be more detailed yet more fatiguing, guess i'm happy to have made the right choice going with hook x for my first (and maybe only planar iem). it isn't fatiguing at all and sound pleasant to hear.

happy won't have to go thru the wasting money phase buying and figuring out which planars suits the best. i think i found the keeper here. plan to only own one anyways. :D

agree it's not the best sounding per se. yet it's unique and worth keeping.
In all honesty, you couldn't really make a bad choice of those three you had chosen to look into. I don't own the S12/Z12, but I do own the Timeless, and they are also good. I just think that the Hook-X do everything better IMO. I think they are all using the same driver (but modified enough to call it "custom") as far as I can tell, which is a good thing in this case, because it really is a great driver to have as a base IMO.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #394 of 831
I got my Hook-X ~10 days ago and have been trying to decide to keep or sell them. They sound pretty different, they don't have the most natural tone/timbre but to me they are better than the colder sounding Timless. The Timeless has better resolution and details are more easily noticeable but can get fatiguing at times. Hook-X on the other hand has better stage size and Imaging and better Bass response and are relaxed sounding without sacrificing details.

The only think that's bothering me is the slight grain in the higher frequencies, I remember reading somewhere that Hook-X pairs well with a clean sounding source, what's your experience with Hook-X synergy with different DACs.

I do have the same feeling for HOOK-X for the first week. After 100hrs burn-in, I can feel the soundstage completely open up. Pairing it with my RS2, they just sound so musical and organic, smooth highs but more crispy than before. I have another DAP, Zishan Z4, which uses dual ES9038Q2M. I can feel cleaner, leaner vocals by pairing the two. Since both the RS2 and Z4 are warm tuning, the difference may not be huge, but I can still feel the differences. IMO, if you can give it enough power and having good fit, the HOOK-X will sound well. Afterall, I decided to keep it :beyersmile:

11.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #395 of 831
I just did some serious AB testing and that hazy sound is more noticeable on my LG G8x. On the EF400 & Zen DAC, there's almost non of this sound. I guess I need a better portable source.

When I was looking for a relaxed slightly bassy IEM, I had narrowed my list down to Tea 2 and Hook-X. Any users of Tea or Tea 2 here? I'm curious what the differences are.

At the moment, using EF400 or even Zen DAC as source, Hook-X sounds better to me than Timeless, Legacy 4, Honeydew & Kato.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #396 of 831
do you find the Hook-X a bit grainy or hazy up top?
To my ears, the stock cable isn't the best for these IEMs, making the sound narrow and prone to treble whistling, but that's not the IEM's problem, they can sound much better and more natural

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #397 of 831
To my ears, the stock cable isn't the best for these IEMs, making the sound narrow and prone to treble whistling, but that's not the IEM's problem, they can sound much better and more natural
I'm not sure I wanna experiment with cables at the moment but just out of curiosity, What cable are you using with this IEM?

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #398 of 831
Talk about cable, yea im glad it isnt only me but i thought the stock isnt that good too. Upon arrival i immediately put on my xinhs cable on the hook, 4.4 bal, out from ua3. Listened to it for a couple hours, and then tried on the stock cable just for the sake to try.. Immediately felt less transparent and there's sort of haze.

Also tried the hook on dx300 on amp11mk1, gosh the hook scales amazingly from my usual low gain setting, to mid, and high. Amazing.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #399 of 831
I'm not sure I wanna experiment with cables at the moment but just out of curiosity, What cable are you using with this IEM?
Currently listening on copper cable, Acoustune ARC 01s, not the best for them, but better than stock, tried custom on silver plated military/space wire, sound is cleaner, fuller, more transparent and holographic, but I don't like the tone, will do a custom cable soon on cardas wire and compare with others.

Aug 22, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #400 of 831
Talk about cable, yea im glad it isnt only me but i thought the stock isnt that good too. Upon arrival i immediately put on my xinhs cable on the hook, 4.4 bal, out from ua3. Listened to it for a couple hours, and then tried on the stock cable just for the sake to try.. Immediately felt less transparent and there's sort of haze.

Also tried the hook on dx300 on amp11mk1, gosh the hook scales amazingly from my usual low gain setting, to mid, and high. Amazing.
I just checked and these are the only XINHS cables available in my country, which of the 3 cables is the closest one to yours? They are not too expensive so I might give them a try if I feel the need to but only after getting a good portable source.

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #401 of 831
Just as the Hook provides bang for buck, I have recently stumbled upon the Moonlight stock cable. Silver plated Graphene, you can get it on penon for $69. Sounds as good as my PWAudio 1K$ Monile.....

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #402 of 831
I just checked and these are the only XINHS cables available in my country, which of the 3 cables is the closest one to yours? They are not too expensive so I might give them a try if I feel the need to but only after getting a good portable source.
The cheapest one is the one closest to mine, same 4 core occ copper.. Its a nice cable..

Mine is like pic attached, i tried to look for it on xinhs aliexpress store site but it doesnt seem to be available anymore

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822_170328_com.tokopedia.tkpd.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822_170328_com.tokopedia.tkpd.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 22, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #403 of 831
7 AM, rainy morning in Brooklyn....Starbucks...hot coffee...my Shanling M8 and Raptgo Hook! Life is good!

16611684073753946699252696800314.jpg

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #405 of 831

Users who are viewing this thread

Back