RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
May 18, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #121 of 821

Raptgo Hook-X - First Impressions​

IMG_20220518_095246.jpg

Disclaimer: This unit was sent to me for free by Linsoul in exchange for a review. No influence or pressure was applied, and the words you are about to read are my own thoughts and opinions. Thanks again to all the Linsoul team for the opportunity and support.

The Planar Market

If you have been following the IEM scene since around September last year you probably know by now about the wave that made it to shore regarding planars: 7hz released a competitive offer that made some splash, but once reviewers got their hands on it, it turned into a Tsunami.

As always, I was late to the party thanks to national couriers. I was getting so desperate I bought another unit from the DUDO Audio Store around Christmas time and asked for express shipping, which ended up with me receiving two units around the same time. This was actually fine since people realized revisions were made shortly after his launch. I compared both versions, they were pretty close, so I ignored that fact and just focused on how good Timeless is - and oh boy, it is good.

Timeless gave me that “wow” factor that most IEMs seem to fail nowadays. It had major flaws like its imaging chops but its resolving power for around 200 were shocking, as it was giving tribids runs for their money. In 5 minutes it got an instant and severe rec from me, despite its technical flaws and me finding its treble on the harsher side.

Shortly after my take I got amazing news from one of my favorite companies: Letshuoer was about to enter the planar world with the now famous S12. Two weeks later from me auditioning two units of 7hz Timeless, a new king was born. They are pretty close, with S12 coming out as having a better stage and imaging, bass texture and costing way less, at the cost of being brighter (but less harsh to my ears). The consensus was kind of wide - if you have none buy S12, if you had Timeless already, save the bucks).

I would also like to mention that Timeless was not my first planar IEM. Tin Hifi P1 Plus made its way into my desk a couple of days before the black disk did and I wasn’t impressed, but rather disappointed. As I always like to shorten my collection as much as possible, both units of Timeless and P1 Plus were sold and only S12 was kept, as I now regret not keeping one of the 7hz units, as it would be great for comparisons right now as I can’t A/B it with Raptgo Hook-X.

Given how I felt about S12 vs Timeless, I don’t think there will be a problem not having it with me, but still, no direct comparisons will be made to other planars* other than S12 in this impressions or in my final review.

*I’m trying to get hold of the Tin Hifi P1 Max.

The Hook-X

Raptgo Hook-X announcement made everyone take a second look. At a glance, the offer was curious, to say the least. Separating itself from the competition, it packs a semi-open back design and adds a piezo driver, turning itself as a promising hibrid unit and one never seen, on top of looking great, especially paired with a abnormal choice of stock cable (that compliments it great, let me tell you).

Delving directly into sound as I’ve rambled too much, I will start this quick first impressions with an honest take: It didn’t “wow” me. At least not like Timeless did back in December.

graph - 2022-05-18T093655.471.png

Let me try to explain to you why. At first glance, Hook-X doesn’t come out as resolving as its competition. I will attribute this fact majorly to a better treble tuning instead of a peaky boost around the middle area. Compared to the S12, treble is more balanced, both in the graph than in the ear. The mid range area is also more recessed when hearing pianos or female vocals (Hania Rani - Leaving) so that’s probably where I’m complaining the most about detail lacking compared to other planars.
If I had to resume it, I would consider Hook-X as having a more smoothed out presentation, leaning towards a relaxed signature instead of an ultra engaging one.

The second thing was the naturally found “planar timbre” in these type of IEMs. There’s something more exotic to my ears and less planary-like, maybe thanks to the addition of the piezo driver. The replay won’t feel as light and speedy like I got used to - which I’m by no means saying this is a bad thing, as I always like to ask “how fast is too fast?”.

Adding the two factors above, and maybe very high expectations, I got a bittersweet sensation on my stomach. I was expecting the same feeling I got from Timeless and I didn’t.

A week has passed and I’m ready to say Hook-X is still not perfect, but growing on me. The analog type of sound lets you sit on your lazyboy, enjoy a good glass of whisky on a rainy day outside with the fireplace pumping. Which I find amazing because I don’t like whiskey, I don’t own a fireplace or a lazyboy and it’s very hot in Portugal.

There’s an upper hand to Hook-X every other planar I’ve heard to date - it’s stage size. Probably attributed to the semi-open back design and the better treble extension, it puts offers like Timeless to shame in this regard. It’s still far from perfect, but a big step in the right direction.

Another thing that I’m starting to appreciate more and more is the mid-bass slam, which is somewhat present and lets itself show off on prominent kickdrums, as can be heard on tracks like the live loop of “How to get what you want” by Elyse Trouw.

Last good quality I would like to point out is the lack of sibilance on female vocals. The controlled pinna gain is certainly the guilty one for this, but I love it for that, that together with the smoothen out presentation, lets you just immersive listen instead of watching out for your ears.

For those who care for tip and source rolling, I found Hook-X to be more enjoyable the moment I swapped out from Cayin RU-6 given its analog basis and used my Xduuo. As for tips, I didn’t love CP100 with it, so went and tried BGVP A07, but a friend told me to try stock blue ones and I’m enjoying them more. They are short and the deeper fit helps with the mids, to my ears.

IMG_20220518_094315.jpg

Initial veredict: As every other offer, Hook-X comes with compromises and trade-offs. If I had to rank it right now I would place it around its brothers, given that if I let Timeless’ imaging pass and still recommend it, I feel that it would be unfair to criticize Raptgo on this one, as they are flour of the same bag. Value wise, I still think LETSHUOER’s offer is the one to beat, as I paid around 140usd for it (don’t quote me, but I think the price raised meanwhile).

I will keep Hook-X playing for a little longer before writing my thoughts as I think I wouldn’t be totally fair to it if I wrote them right now.

Preliminary rankings - Value 4/5. Personal Ranking: Around 7

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #122 of 821

IMG_20220518_095246.jpg

Disclaimer: This unit was sent to me for free by Linsoul in exchange for a review. No influence or pressure was applied, and the words you are about to read are my own thoughts and opinions. Thanks again to all the Linsoul team for the opportunity and support.

The Planar Market

If you have been following the IEM scene since around September last year you probably know by now about the wave that made it to shore regarding planars: 7hz released a competitive offer that made some splash, but once reviewers got their hands on it, it turned into a Tsunami.

As always, I was late to the party thanks to national couriers. I was getting so desperate I bought another unit from the DUDO Audio Store around Christmas time and asked for express shipping, which ended up with me receiving two units around the same time. This was actually fine since people realized revisions were made shortly after his launch. I compared both versions, they were pretty close, so I ignored that fact and just focused on how good Timeless is - and oh boy, it is good.

Timeless gave me that “wow” factor that most IEMs seem to fail nowadays. It had major flaws like its imaging chops but its resolving power for around 200 were shocking, as it was giving tribids runs for their money. In 5 minutes it got an instant and severe rec from me, despite its technical flaws and me finding its treble on the harsher side.

Shortly after my take I got amazing news from one of my favorite companies: Letshuoer was about to enter the planar world with the now famous S12. Two weeks later from me auditioning two units of 7hz Timeless, a new king was born. They are pretty close, with S12 coming out as having a better stage and imaging, bass texture and costing way less, at the cost of being brighter (but less harsh to my ears). The consensus was kind of wide - if you have none buy S12, if you had Timeless already, save the bucks).

I would also like to mention that Timeless was not my first planar IEM. Tin Hifi P1 Plus made its way into my desk a couple of days before the black disk did and I wasn’t impressed, but rather disappointed. As I always like to shorten my collection as much as possible, both units of Timeless and P1 Plus were sold and only S12 was kept, as I now regret not keeping one of the 7hz units, as it would be great for comparisons right now as I can’t A/B it with Raptgo Hook-X.

Given how I felt about S12 vs Timeless, I don’t think there will be a problem not having it with me, but still, no direct comparisons will be made to other planars* other than S12 in this impressions or in my final review.

The Hook-X

Raptgo Hook-X announcement made everyone take a second look. At a glance, the offer was curious, to say the least. Separating itself from the competition, it packs a semi-open back design and adds a piezo driver, turning itself as a promising hibrid unit and one never seen, on top of looking great, especially paired with a abnormal choice of stock cable (that compliments it great, let me tell you).

Delving directly into sound as I’ve rambled too much, I will start this quick first impressions with an honest take: It didn’t “wow” me. At least not like Timeless did back in December.

Let me try to explain to you why. At first glance, Hook-X doesn’t come out as resolving as its competition. I will attribute this fact majorly to a better treble tuning instead of a peaky boost around the middle area. Compared to the S12, treble is more balanced, both in the graph than in the ear. The mid range area is also more recessed when hearing pianos or female vocals (Hania Rani - Leaving) so that’s probably where I’m complaining the most about detail lacking compared to other planars.
If I had to resume it, I would consider Hook-X as having a more smoothed out presentation, leaning towards a relaxed signature instead of an ultra engaging one.

The second thing was the naturally found “planar timbre” in these type of IEMs. There’s something more exotic to my ears and less planary-like, maybe thanks to the addition of the piezo driver. The replay won’t feel as light and speedy like I got used to - which I’m by no means saying this is a bad thing, as I always like to ask “how fast is too fast?”.

Adding the two factors above, and maybe very high expectations, I got a bittersweet sensation on my stomach. I was expecting the same feeling I got from Timeless and I didn’t.

A week has passed and I’m ready to say Hook-X is still not perfect, but growing on me. The analog type of sound lets you sit on your lazyboy, enjoy a good glass of whisky on a rainy day outside with the fireplace pumping. Which I find amazing because I don’t like whiskey, I don’t own a fireplace or a lazyboy and it’s very hot in Portugal.

There’s an upper hand to Hook-X every other planar I’ve heard to date - it’s stage size. Probably attributed to the semi-open back design and the better treble extension, it puts offers like Timeless to shame in this regard. It’s still far from perfect, but a big step in the right direction.

Another thing that I’m starting to appreciate more and more is the mid-bass slam, which is somewhat present and lets itself show off on prominent kickdrums, as can be heard on tracks like the live loop of “How to get what you want” by Elyse Trouw.

Last good quality I would like to point out is the lack of sibilance on female vocals. The controlled pinna gain is certainly the guilty one for this, but I love it for that, that together with the smoothen out presentation, lets you just immersive listen instead of watching out for your ears.

For those who care for tip and source rolling, I found Hook-X to be more enjoyable the moment I swapped out from Cayin RU-6 given its analog basis and used my Xduuo. As for tips, I didn’t love CP100 with it, so went and tried BGVP A07, but a friend told me to try stock blue ones and I’m enjoying them more. They are short and the deeper fit helps with the mids, to my ears.

IMG_20220518_094315.jpg

Initial veredict: As every other offer, Hook-X comes with compromises and trade-offs. If I had to rank it right now I would place it around its brothers, given that if I let Timeless’ imaging pass and still recommend it, I feel that it would be unfair to criticize Raptgo on this one, as they are flour of the same bag. Value wise, I still think LETSHUOER’s offer is the one to beat, as I paid around 140usd for it (don’t quote me, but I think the price raised meanwhile).

I will keep Hook-X playing for a little longer before writing my thoughts as I think I wouldn’t be totally fair to it if I wrote them right now.

Nice write up!
Oddly enough, your graph (MRS and HBB) is the first I’ve seen that shows more upper mids/treble on the Hook-X than the S12.

May 18, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #123 of 821

IMG_20220518_095246.jpg

The Planar Market

The Hook-X

IMG_20220518_094315.jpg

Thanks for your initial impressions, I appreciate it, but how many hours have you burned them in, if I may ask?

May 18, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #126 of 821
May 18, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #128 of 821
Has anyone tried EQing the Hook?
I’ve really enjoyed EDM on the S12 but I do love a wide open soundstage. Was hoping to have the best of both worlds with say a Hook + Q5K combo.
I've listened to my Hook-X with my Qudelix-5K and my Mojo 2, a bit. So far, I have not felt the need for EQing but my Hook-X has less than 48 hours of burn-in time. After a couple of days I will give it a serious listen and decide. What I am hearing so far, though, does not make me feel the need of any EQ. I am listening to Electronica through Amazon Music Unlimited, Qobuz and even DI.FM

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #129 of 821
Please, give them around 100 hours of burn in time and post your evaluation.
Thank you

I will have all those hours on my pair by the time I have a full review, no need to worry. But I don't believe in burn in, other than brain burn-in, that Hook-X is actually partly doing.

May 18, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #130 of 821
They completely changed on me from burn-in? You may notice something, still it seemed to make them be thicker and have better bass. Also they gained smoothness and better imaging!
I will have all those hours on my pair by the time I have a full review, no need to worry. But I don't believe in burn in, other than brain burn-in, that Hook-X is actually partly doing.

May 18, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #131 of 821
I am neutral but I can confirm that both of my 2 pairs of 7Hz Timeless definitely benefited from approx. 100 hours of burn-in time.

May 18, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #132 of 821
I've listened to my Hook-X with my Qudelix-5K and my Mojo 2, a bit. So far, I have not felt the need for EQing but my Hook-X has less than 48 hours of burn-in time. After a couple of days I will give it a serious listen and decide. What I am hearing so far, though, does not make me feel the need of any EQ. I am listening to Electronica through Amazon Music Unlimited, Qobuz and even DI.FM
Awesome! Thank you. I can claim to have a fairly diverse set of music genres but I do spend a lot of time on all kinds of dance and hip hop. I feel I have everything I need in a set of Variations stock (stock cable modified with Apple dongle, springtips)but there’s qualities to planar that..I can’t describe it but I like it.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #133 of 821
I've got a pair inbound. Wondering what the leakage is like being open back?

May 23, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #134 of 821
Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #135 of 821
Awesome! Thank you. I can claim to have a fairly diverse set of music genres but I do spend a lot of time on all kinds of dance and hip hop. I feel I have everything I need in a set of Variations stock (stock cable modified with Apple dongle, springtips)but there’s qualities to planar that..I can’t describe it but I like it.
In the case of Raptgo Hook-X, I feel like it has a semi DD tonality and naturalness, semi BA imaging and detail but with, well, planar uniformity, transparency and effortlessness. It is effortless in the sense that it never really begins to sound strained, strident and brittle, like BA's can - when volume is raised above a certain threshold, nor does it lose detail retrieval and imaging stability like DD's tend to do - when volume is raised above a certain threshold. The bandwidth seems endless provided you have enough power.

All that with piezo bone conduction immersiveness as the special sauce.

One of my favorite sets ever. I do wish it had a cleaner and more intricate midrange but it can be somewhat rectified with shallow and wide tips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back