RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
May 30, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #151 of 822
Mine arrived yesterday. Early thoughts: I am really enjoying the Hook-X!
I hate using terms like "musical" or "analog" but they both are fitting for this set.
Have to give it more burn-in, but I think I am digging this a bit more than the Timeless.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #152 of 822
I just finished 100 hours of burn-in. I would say that sound is mature. there was somewhat annoying pitch to my ear (which hurted a bit), but the now the sound is thick, and mature. it is easy and laid back sound I can enjoy whole day.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #153 of 822
Just got mine about two hours ago. These are… whoa.

I thought the bone conduction thing was just so much marketing hype but these have it for sure. They’re remarkable sounding. I need a lot more time under them but right out of the box I’m kind of blown away by these.

May 31, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #154 of 822
I'm floored to be honest. This IEM is such a joy to listen to! Without EQ it equals (in most aspects) my Audeze LCD-2C with EQ.

I've decided to order this instead of the TinHiFi P1 Max, and I'm so glad I did. This fixes everything I thought was wrong with the Timeless : soundstage has lots of depth (probably any IEM beats Timeless here, but still), sounds hit big, treble is not sibilant, mids are smoother and actually have body, bass is punchy and not wooly, dynamic range is godlike.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #156 of 822
I'm floored to be honest. This IEM is such a joy to listen to! Without EQ it equals (in most aspects) my Audeze LCD-2C with EQ.

I've decided to order this instead of the TinHiFi P1 Max, and I'm so glad I did. This fixes everything I thought was wrong with the Timeless : soundstage has lots of depth (probably any IEM beats Timeless here, but still), sounds hit big, treble is not sibilant, mids are smoother and actually have body, bass is punchy and not wooly, dynamic range is godlike.

I find them to have a kind of visceral sound. The detail is there but they kind of “grind” a song out sometimes. So far they seem to thrive on rock.

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #157 of 822
Just received my wife’s (I wanted to wait a bit to watch for QC reports from a larger user base first). Since I went to the hassle of tracking and picking it up. I decided I wanted to listen before she’s home 😂.

I used to be a pure rock/metal listener but diversified after college.

So far in comparison to the S12 I have mixed feelings. Both without EQ I found the Hook-X lacked the energy at the sub bass and upper mids and air frequencies. For female vocals,hip hop, EDM and orchestral tracks it’s was a solid leaning towards the S12.

However there are some things the Hook-X…brings tears to the eyes. Older Rock tracks like Gimme Shelter or Mr Crowley can have some harsher buzzy crackling notes on the S12 as well as background hiss of say Paint it Black.
I’ve been going 4 hours straight revisiting my high school era music with the Hook-X from punk to grunge, rock, metal. Simply amazing.

Keen to try dial in some of the aspects of the S12 I love into the Hook-X for a separate EQ profile.

Just a question, does anyone know if the piezo play the highs on top of the planars or does the planar cuts off up high and it’s purely piezo there?

This IEM has me dreaming of a QX-over 2 with a DD planar combo.

Edit: Please forgive the ramblings. I had just come back from a hill climb with the Hook-X

TLDR:
Prefer S12 to Hook-X for classics, hip hop, EDM.
Much prefer rock (grunge, punk, metal etc) with the Hook-X.
Will try EQ S12’s forte into Hook with Q5K. Will buy my own.

Really wish for a planar/DD hybrid with active crossover (like the QX-over)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #158 of 822
Shameless plug if anyone in UK (or elsewhere) want an essentialy new pair at a discount....Here

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #162 of 822
Jun 3, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #163 of 822
Thank you, great review! Just one thing, you say you would not (so much) recommend them for Electronica, I'm listening to Trance, Progressive, House, Techno, Ambient, Dance, etc all day long. RAPTGO HOOK-X + FiiO UTWS5 - 2pin. They are amazing, I prefer them slightly more than my Timeless. The bass is dominating!
Thanks for sharing your experience, I do have the UTWS5 here so I will give it a try and see.

Jun 3, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #164 of 822
Thanks for sharing your experience, I do have the UTWS5 here so I will give it a try and see.
Definitely, and also give them 100 hours. Overall, they are better than the Timeless. I did not need to tip roll or seek for any cable for my RAPTGO HOOK-X. For the Timeless, the second pair because my first one is permanently hooked on my other UTWS5 MMCX, I had to get a XINHS graphene cable + SpinFit CP100+ tips.

One day, soon, I will connect both to my Mojo 2 and compare. They are both excellent in their way, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back