RAPTGO HOOK-X In Ear Monitor
Jul 9, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #751 of 821
1) How does it compare with the 7Hz Timeless AE?

I have the OG timeless. It’s flatter. Less bass quantity. The Bridge has ample, textured bass with a sub-bass boost. The Timeless is more mid-bass focused with sub-bass roll-off. Timeless has a significantly smaller sound stage too, though both are very good at imaging and placement. I’d classify Timeless as less technical but tuned more reference. The Bridge is more technical but tuned more “fun.”

2) Have you ever heard any IMR IEM? How would it compare with the Elan+ for example?

Nope. No IMRs in my stable yet.

Jul 9, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #752 of 821
Raptgo should probably have it’s own thread at this point.

Anyway…

I’ve been trying to figure out both how to describe and what mechanism is at work making the Bridge sound the way it does. How does it sound? Well, it’s a lot like the Hook-X in general signature but with a much larger stage, a much more open and airy top end and a visceral bass that has a really unique texture to it.

It appears from the marketing material that the “special sauce” is what they’re calling “Sound Superposition Compensation Effect.” According to their literature the 6mm DD is wired in “succession” with the PZT. As far as I can tell from the diagram and from some Web searching, it seems as if they’re using the 6mm’s output as kind of a carrier wave that is then overlaid with the PZT’s output resulting in a combined waveform. The PZT wave is placed in superposition with the BA wave leading to positive volume compensation for the nominally quiet PZT output. They describe the PZT as effecting the whole frequency range in this configuration and I think that’s correct. The combined driver unit is sitting behind a relatively large grill opening where much of the rumble seems to originate. As though the sound is coming from both the nozzle and the vent, which is in contact with the ear. What you get is that same unique Hook-X rumble and sparkle only amped up so that you can absolutely hear and feel the quality of it. The result is a highly technical sound with massive detail and a big soundstage without the sharpness of some treble focused sets and without the boom of some bass focused sets. Meanwhile the mids are creammmmy.

Yeah. Bridge. It’s really good.
Could I ask what tips / tuning adjustments you use? Most reviews I've seen had negative opinions on the upper mid/treble regions that screwed with the timbre - I really do like raptgo for exactly the reasons youre describing so I'm interested.

Jul 9, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #753 of 821
Could I ask what tips / tuning adjustments you use? Most reviews I've seen had negative opinions on the upper mid/treble regions that screwed with the timbre - I really do like raptgo for exactly the reasons youre describing so I'm interested.

Yep.

I have it on the 4.4mm terminated NiceHCK RubyCat cable. The tips I’m using are DUNU S&S XL. I have the high gain switch turned ON and the treble boost switch turned OFF. I have the black nozzle on them. My sources are a HiBy R6 2020 and a FiiO BTR7. I’m listening to just about every kind of music on them. Power pop, metal of various varieties, pop, R&B, jazz. classical etc.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #755 of 821
Raptgo should probably have it’s own thread at this point.

Anyway…

I’ve been trying to figure out both how to describe and what mechanism is at work making the Bridge sound the way it does. How does it sound? Well, it’s a lot like the Hook-X in general signature but with a much larger stage, a much more open and airy top end and a visceral bass that has a really unique texture to it.

It appears from the marketing material that the “special sauce” is what they’re calling “Sound Superposition Compensation Effect.” According to their literature the 6mm DD is wired in “succession” with the PZT. As far as I can tell from the diagram and from some Web searching, it seems as if they’re using the 6mm’s output as kind of a carrier wave that is then overlaid with the PZT’s output resulting in a combined waveform. The PZT wave is placed in superposition with the BA wave leading to positive volume compensation for the nominally quiet PZT output. They describe the PZT as effecting the whole frequency range in this configuration and I think that’s correct. The combined driver unit is sitting behind a relatively large grill opening where much of the rumble seems to originate. As though the sound is coming from both the nozzle and the vent, which is in contact with the ear. What you get is that same unique Hook-X rumble and sparkle only amped up so that you can absolutely hear and feel the quality of it. The result is a highly technical sound with massive detail and a big soundstage without the sharpness of some treble focused sets and without the boom of some bass focused sets. Meanwhile the mids are creammmmy.

Yeah. Bridge. It’s really good.
WOW! You have put a lot of (great) though into these. They must really hit the sweet spot for you?! I'm super happy for you bro. :)

Are these truly bone conduction IEMs? At first, they advertised the Hook-X as bone conducting also, but later removed it from their website (though it remained on their packaging). I have tested them to NOT be bone conducting (unless my set isn't working), but air conducting instead, where the PZT is concerned. Of course, I don't really care because the Hook-X are STILL one of my favorite planar IEMs to date either way. And I suppose if these sound as good as you say, then I don't really care on those either. haha I am just curious to hear a great set that actually is able to incorporate this tech into an amalgamation of something wonderful (rather than the normal, just average unless you pay kilobuck prices).. :) I would love to see this technology advance.

Also, you mention that they are like the Hook-X in some ways. Could you expound on that? I am interested in these, but I don't want to buy a set that will end up being like another set I have. I would have to get rid of one if that were the case... :)

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #756 of 821
WOW! You have put a lot of (great) though into these. They must really hit the sweet spot for you?! I'm super happy for you bro. :)

Are these truly bone conduction IEMs? At first, they advertised the Hook-X as bone conducting also, but later removed it from their website (though it remained on their packaging). I have tested them to NOT be bone conducting (unless my set isn't working), but air conducting instead, where the PZT is concerned. Of course, I don't really care because the Hook-X are STILL one of my favorite planar IEMs to date either way. And I suppose if these sound as good as you say, then I don't really care on those either. haha I am just curious to hear a great set that actually is able to incorporate this tech into an amalgamation of something wonderful (rather than the normal, just average unless you pay kilobuck prices).. :) I would love to see this technology advance.

Also, you mention that they are like the Hook-X in some ways. Could you expound on that? I am interested in these, but I don't want to buy a set that will end up being like another set I have. I would have to get rid of one if that were the case... :)

They amp up the ineffable quality of Hook-X’s sound. It’s that visceral bass. If you look at the graphs for both you’ll see that they’re quite similar in response as well.

It’s a hard quality to describe and that’s why I struggle with it. The uniqueness really does appear to be coming from the 6mm dynamic coupled to the 12mm piezo. No way it’s bone conduction. More like an amplified and smoothed out PZT.

Jul 10, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #757 of 821
They amp up the ineffable quality of Hook-X’s sound. It’s that visceral bass. If you look at the graphs for both you’ll see that they’re quite similar in response as well.

It’s a hard quality to describe and that’s why I struggle with it. The uniqueness really does appear to be coming from the 6mm dynamic coupled to the 12mm piezo. No way it’s bone conduction. More like an amplified and smoothed out PZT.
Thanks so much for sharing... I am considering these, but I still haven't made up my mind yet. :)

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #758 of 821

Do they need burn-in time and, if so, how much? :)

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #759 of 821
Do they need burn-in time and, if so, how much? :)

For me they needed “brain burn in” time. They don’t sound like the average set out of the box. It took a little time for my ears to get accustomed to the staging and placement.

So yeah, I’d give them a week or so of play before making a final evaluation.

Jul 11, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #760 of 821
For me they needed “brain burn in” time. They don’t sound like the average set out of the box. It took a little time for my ears to get accustomed to the staging and placement.

So yeah, I’d give them a week or so of play before making a final evaluation.
For me this is pretty mandatory because I like to bring in new sets that sound different than anything that I previously had (unless I am simply looking for an upgrade for something I already have). And it DOES take some time to get used to a different signature. It might take longer depending on how long and how often you listen to something with a different type of sound. :)

Having said that, having dual DD I would imagine that there will also be some conditioning going on here. I know some don't believe in it, and the FR doesn't change much (if at all), but the tone will change some with conditioning. Also, sometimes the "BA timber" will calm down after time too (if the set has any). But as usual, YMMV on this. :)

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #761 of 821
Well, I got the Bridge today, and after only about half an hour, all I can say is WOW! These sound amazing thus far. You were right @Surf Monkey. These just have so many layers (when the music has it), and I would put the dynamics as the star of the show on these. The tuning is really good also. I gotta' say that the graph doesn't really do justice to these, because the upper mids/lower treble does not hurt my ears at all and is NOT boosted so as to be shouty at all (IMHO), though it is not recessed either. Maybe I am just going deaf, and no longer can hear it.... :) Or maybe I am just listening to the wrong music thus far. We shall see.... :wink:

Anyhow, I got these because you were persistent in your favor for these. I am so glad I did. I am still a bit in shock at how cheap these are with the quality of sound on offer here. I will probably have more impressions after I get some time on them. Thanks again for the recommending them. At this point, as far as I can see, YOU are the whole hype train.... ROFL

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #762 of 821
Well, I got the Bridge today, and after only about half an hour, all I can say is WOW! These sound amazing thus far. You were right @Surf Monkey. These just have so many layers (when the music has it), and I would put the dynamics as the star of the show on these. The tuning is really good also. I gotta' say that the graph doesn't really do justice to these, because the upper mids/lower treble does not hurt my ears at all and is NOT boosted so as to be shouty at all (IMHO), though it is not recessed either. Maybe I am just going deaf, and no longer can hear it.... :) Or maybe I am just listening to the wrong music thus far. We shall see.... :wink:

Anyhow, I got these because you were persistent in your favor for these. I am so glad I did. I am still a bit in shock at how cheap these are with the quality of sound on offer here. I will probably have more impressions after I get some time on them. Thanks again for the recommending them. At this point, as far as I can see, YOU are the whole hype train.... ROFL

Awesome! I’m happy you like them. Honestly, I think the Bridge missed the hype because of how the shells look. Personally I love them but the design was pretty roundly criticized here upon their launch.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #763 of 821
Awesome! I’m happy you like them. Honestly, I think the Bridge missed the hype because of how the shells look. Personally I love them but the design was pretty roundly criticized here upon their launch.
Would definitely recommend the Bridge as well, very impressed with it. My friends heard my set and all of them ended up ordering a set.

I love the shells, they look like tie-fighters.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #764 of 821
Would definitely recommend the Bridge as well, very impressed with it. My friends heard my set and all of them ended up ordering a set.

I love the shells, they look like tie-fighters.

Excellent. The Bridge has really flown under the radar. I’ve made it my mission to expose more people to it. The Hook-X kind of suffered a slow start too. Probably because Raptgo doesn’t seem to send out a lot of review copies.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #765 of 821
Excellent. The Bridge has really flown under the radar. I’ve made it my mission to expose more people to it. The Hook-X kind of suffered a slow start too. Probably because Raptgo doesn’t seem to send out a lot of review copies.
In Surf Monkey we trust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back