Rap Sucks
Feb 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #482 of 782
Feb 19, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #484 of 782
This might sound sad, but the movie "The Wackness" introduced me to rap that I like.

The rap in the movie was mostly nonviolent, and sounded like great poetry to me. I love violence, but I feel like the violence often depicted in rap is offensive even to me. (I love F.E.A.R. 2 just for the blood splatter haha)

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #485 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burninate35 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might sound sad, but the movie "The Wackness" introduced me to rap that I like.

The rap in the movie was mostly nonviolent, and sounded like great poetry to me. I love violence, but I feel like the violence often depicted in rap is offensive even to me. (I love F.E.A.R. 2 just for the blood splatter haha)

mmmm....

Quote:

So who's bringing the guns in this country? (Hmm?)
I couldn't sneak a plastic pellet gun through customs over in London
And last week, I seen a Schwarzenegger movie
where he's shooting all sorts of these mother*****ers with a uzi
I see three little kids, up in the front row,
screaming "Go," with their 17-year-old Uncle
I'm like, "Guidance? - ain't they got the same moms and dads
who got mad when I asked if they liked violence?"

Eminem has a point.

Just listen to 'Dance With The Devil' by Immortal Technique, not so much rap, but more storytelling but yes, violence.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #486 of 782
Why the mmmm? haha

I would love to discuss.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #487 of 782
Dance With The Devil is tragically screwed up. A local radio station once had a fundraiser for Hurricane Katrina I believe, where they played songs on repeat until someone paid to stop it. They did stuff like My Immortal by Evanescence and William Hung. Dance With The Devil probably would've made quite a bit.

Seriously it is like emotionally scarring =\ =\ =\

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #488 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But there's much more than that going on in U.S. rap music, including plenty of jazz influenced rap. Those examples you posted, they don't seem to be doing anything unique.

I know,I listen to a few US groups but for some reason the English language isn't the prettiest language to rap in. It doesn't flow like French...

It doesn't bother me if they aren't doing anything unique but they're doing something that others do at a level higher than the others,thats why I like them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #489 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dance With The Devil is tragically screwed up. A local radio station once had a fundraiser for Hurricane Katrina I believe, where they played songs on repeat until someone paid to stop it. They did stuff like My Immortal by Evanescence and William Hung. Dance With The Devil probably would've made quite a bit.

Seriously it is like emotionally scarring =\ =\ =\

It lets you know that life can be terrible, even in the USA. Dont be scared of it.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #490 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jazz-influenced rap also is great e.g. Southern rap like Outkast.

A Tribe Called Quest
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #495 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you can write like that too?
I guess you can use the grammar structure of Dr. Seuss books and make it into a hard hitting sounding song? Eminem 'The Way I Am' chorus.
I'm guessing you also have the ability to infuse comedic situations and hard-hitting subjects into a song + storytell (too many examples Eminem wise).
There's a reason why the Marshall Mathers LP is rated highly by many reputable reviewers (e.g. Rolling Stone, Robert Christgau) and is even appreciated on an English language academic level.

Anyway here:

Organized Konfusion - Releasing Hypnotical Gases

I assume you know me well enough to assume I can't write like that or better?
wink_face.gif

I don't give a flying hoot what Rolling Stone or any other reviewer thinks about anything. I'm not a spoon fed idiot, I can do my own thinking for myself.

That Organized Konfusion song is krap. Try again
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back