Rap Sucks
Feb 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #451 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's time for rap to take a back seat no matter if it is good or not. It's only been around for about 25 years now. Time for some new music to take the front seat. What I don't like about rap is not the music so much but the mentality that goes along with it.

well, metals been around for about 40, so...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #455 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God I hate it when people do that.

Why?
There is an obvious difference between the two.
Rap music is focused on lyrics and hip-hop is about the music.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #456 of 782
Rap is something you do, Hip-Hop is something you live. Hip-Hop is the culture, rap is the musical form of that culture. This whole supposed genre split between Hip-Hop and Rap is just something elitists came up with to separate Talib Kweli from Paul Wall, the Roots from Soulja Boy, etc., which I understand. Still, I see it as a false dichotomy. Then you have the situation even more convoluted, when you have media outlets mostly, referring to some Pop/R&B as Hip-Hop, like Beyonce.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #459 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Screaming and growling lyrics is basically rapping in another tone of voice. And that's coming from a metal fan.

That's all I have to say.

Well thats debatable. Rapping relies on rythmic rhymes and puns where standard deathmetal growling is about making strong/loud and straightforward noise with rhyme in lyrics (Almost all singing has rhymes anyway) but little to no rythmic puns and word play. Some growl/screaming also has some "melodic/atmospheric" progression (getting stronger and stronger ending in violent outburst), stuff that rapping doesnt have. Or atleast I have never heard such.

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #460 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well thats debatable. Rapping relies on rythmic rhymes and puns where standard deathmetal growling is about making strong/loud and straightforward noise with rhyme in lyrics (Almost all singing has rhymes anyway) but little to no rythmic puns and word play. Some growl/screaming also has some "melodic/atmospheric" progression (getting stronger and stronger ending in violent outburst), stuff that rapping doesnt have. Or atleast I have never heard such.

If you mean like rising in intensity, of course rap has that, I'd say pretty much every genre does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeamdeye
Those Papoose "lyrics" are absolutely terrible. I'm no fan of rap music, but I'm certain there has to be better than that.

How about the lyrics I posted from Square One lol.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #461 of 782
Quote:

If you mean like rising in intensity, of course rap has that, I'd say pretty much every genre does.

I admit my experience with rap is mainly limited to stuff that concentrates on the word play than actual singing. But still, such word play and intense and fast punning is rare in deathmetal "cookiemonster" vocals. Yes, rising intensity is quite close to what I meant.

Now Numetal, which can have growling vocals sometimes, is different story as that genre pretty much mixes different rap and metal/hardrock essences. Like in Slipknot, vocals are often growled rapping with some normal melodic singing on choruses.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #462 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, anyone who views Eminem's lyrics with an English academic sort of view will realised the amount of complexity in Eminem's lyrics. My former English teacher, who was female, appreciated Eminem and his clever lyrics and in fact, used it in high school English.

I weep for our future.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #463 of 782
except Eminem and 2Pac ..the Rap sux..all these wannabe jerks..they disgust me.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #465 of 782
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also forgot to mention that extreme metal singing has more familiarity to hardcore/punk singing than rapping, in my ears anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back