flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jan 3, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #7,081 of 39,414
10050017.jpg
How do you like it so far? AND can a cable believer such as yourself hear any difference with the cable switch... thing?

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #7,082 of 39,414
Possibly EE Phantom X takes down the 5-way and earn the top spot for Ranking The Stars 2020 IEM Shoutout?

Maybe this might just be the nudge Grzegorz needs to refresh his line-up and make a successor to the SE5U. It would be really interesting to see what Master.G comes up with next if that happens and would most definitely be something i'll look most forward to.

Having said that, Im also kinda excited to have a listen to this would-be-SE5U beater when the time comes even though i already know what it is. :wink:

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #7,084 of 39,414
How do you like it so far? AND can a cable believer such as yourself hear any difference with the cable switch... thing?

It seems to have an effect. I see it as an adjustment to balance out the brightness / warmth of the source.

And just to be clear :

- I do believe cables have an effect on sound, at least when their impedance is different
- I don't believe cables burn in
- I don't believe cables should be so expensive. A friend who used to work in a cable company I will not named confessed they made margins from 70% to 5000% (copper cable at 2k anyone)
- I don't believe expensive cables necessarily sound better than cheaper ones

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #7,085 of 39,414
Maybe this might just be the nudge Grzegorz needs to refresh his line-up and make a successor to the SE5U. It would be really interesting to see what Master.G comes up with next if that happens and would most definitely be something i'll look most forward to.

Having said that, Im also kinda excited to have a listen to this would-be-SE5U beater when the time comes even though i already know what it is. :wink:
If you have already talked to Grzegorz, you will know he can be "nudged" as much as a giant rock. i.e. not.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #7,086 of 39,414
It seems to have an effect. I see it as an adjustment to balance out the brightness / warmth of the source.

And just to be clear :

- I do believe cables have an effect on sound, at least when their impedance is different
- I don't believe cables burn in
- I don't believe cables should be so expensive. A friend who used to work in a cable company I will not named confessed they made margins from 70% to 5000% (copper cable at 2k anyone)
- I don't believe expensive cables necessarily sound better than cheaper ones

And here I was, about to post 8 different "Oh my God" GIFs to commemorate this momentous event. :D Have fun with the IEM, Mim; I'm sure it's great.

If you have already talked to Grzegorz, you will know he can be "nudged" as much as a giant rock. i.e. not.

Word.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #7,087 of 39,414
Awesome! I'd love to hear impressions when you get the chance.
I just spent a couple of hours listening: to the Mason V3:

• Impressive built : pretty, small (more or less the size of the universal Zeus), super well finished, robust connectors and dials
  • Really cool stock cable
  • The cable switching principle is a bit weird
  • The dial works well if you want to relieve the pressure / reduce or raise bass
  • The overall sound is super resolving and detailed, with very tight bass and crisp highs
  • At this stage I need to do more tip and source rolling as I get some harshness in the lower mids / highs with LPG and JVC Spiral Bores. I will try spinfit and foams, and maybe the WM1Z

What I am liking, that I don't see enough these days, is a well finished product. Not so half baked half engineered concept. UM is really stepping up their game.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #7,088 of 39,414
I just spent a couple of hours listening: to the Mason V3:

• Impressive built : pretty, small (more or less the size of the universal Zeus), super well finished, robust connectors and dials
  • Really cool stock cable
  • The cable switching principle is a bit weird
  • The dial works well if you want to relieve the pressure / reduce or raise bass
  • The overall sound is super resolving and detailed, with very tight bass and crisp highs
  • At this stage I need to do more tip and source rolling as I get some harshness in the lower mids / highs with LPG and JVC Spiral Bores. I will try spinfit and foams, and maybe the WM1Z

What I am liking, that I don't see enough these days, is a well finished product. Not so half baked half engineered concept. UM is really stepping up their game.

Unique Melody has always had top-notch build and I'm glad to see it hasn't dropped with the release of their new flagship. Very exciting impressions! Thanks man, enjoy. :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #7,090 of 39,414

Yes Michael, through mail conversations i did get the notion that he is rather spartan about his views and his craft. I personally have no qualms with that. Infact i respect his opinion and it goes to show that he is very passionate and sure of what he is doing. Like any fan rooting for his/her fav sports team, i do wish that he will not rest on his laurels and call it a day. It will be a shame if he did though.

The SE5U albeit spectacular in some areas; it is however not perfect like any other IEM or headphone out there. There's always room for improvement. Be it in a rehashed version or the next IEM Grzegorz decides to launch. Boundaries are meant to be pushed. Records are meant to be broken. If there is no progress, we might still be living in the dark ages and not the internet dominant society we are living in now which has made the world so much smaller and so readily accessible ; pun intended .

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #7,092 of 39,414
well until something new comes along , se5 is the king around here

it may not have 300 5-star reviews , but judging by what people who own it say it looks like the best ciem around and most importantly it's praised by people who have heard a lot of totl ciems and not just one top iem

but still too few reviews around for such a stellar ciem , we need more

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #7,093 of 39,414
well until something new comes along , se5 is the king around here

it may not have 300 5-star reviews , but judging by what people who own it say it looks like the best ciem around and most importantly it's praised by people who have heard a lot of totl ciems and not just one top iem

but still too few reviews around for such a stellar ciem , we need more

Unfortunately, Grzegorz has refused to make demos for the SE5U (despite companies like EE successfully manufacturing 5-bore acrylic shells, and SE making silicone-filled acrylic demos in the past), and he also refuses to send out review units/discounts. That means the only way to review the SE5U is to buy it at full price, possibly causing confirmation bias and compromising full neutrality. I’m not saying all reviews of the SE5U are then automatically invalidated because of this small possiblity, but it does leave you dangerously open to criticism.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #7,094 of 39,414
Unfortunately, Grzegorz has refused to make demos for the SE5U (despite companies like EE successfully manufacturing 5-bore acrylic shells, and SE making silicone-filled acrylic demos in the past), and he also refuses to send out review units/discounts. That means the only way to review the SE5U is to buy it at full price, possibly causing confirmation bias and compromising full neutrality. I’m not saying all reviews of the SE5U are then automatically invalidated because of this small possiblity, but it does leave you dangerously open to criticism.
You can not modeling to do in an acrylic body what a Gregorz-built silicone body with silicone pipes ... it's quite simply a different sound signature.
Piotr also described that silicone CIEMs may display a little different sound in some cases like acrylic CIEMs.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #7,095 of 39,414

actually , i find reviewers that get free/discounted ciems to be more prone to compromising their neutrality

you don't wanna bite the hand that feeds you (the ciem)

se5 is the real deal , if you wanna search for reviews lacking neutrality you may wanna start from sites who get sponsored by ciem companies....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back