flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Nov 24, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #32 of 39,414
Nic, I think you did a good job at the beginning in defining and/or describing terminologies at least we can be on the same page when you are talking about sound stage, bass, mid, and treble resolution and clarity etc.  Would you mind defining your frequency range for us like you did with the treble 7-10 khz? what is sub bass, mid bass, low mid, mid, high mid, low treble and high treble etc to you.  I hope and wish you could add the pair of new comers from 64 audio (Tia and Forte) also.  I will add my prediction after all iems are announced.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 39,414
Thanks for the comments everybody!

@Jalo Well there is a lot of variation in what everybody considers upper midrange, lower treble etc. so it's a good point. I personally consider the 1 KHz a key region important as centre midrange, and the 1 - 3 KHz region will play an important role in the density and size of the midrange. 5 KHz I would consider upper midrange as it plays an essential role in creating a natural clear sound, and start with 6-7 KHz as lower treble. When it comes to mid and upper treble, it become a bit more difficult since most iems roll off around 10 KHz. But I guess I would say around 10 KHz is mid treble and 15 KHz is upper treble. I'd say 60 KHz is a cross point between sub- and mid-bass, but mostly because Alex recently mentioned that hehe.

Nov 24, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #34 of 39,414
  Thanks for the comments everybody!

@Jalo Well there is a lot of variation in what everybody considers upper midrange, lower treble etc. so it's a good point. I personally consider the 1 KHz a key region important as centre midrange, and the 1 - 3 KHz region will play an important role in the density and size of the midrange. 5 KHz I would consider upper midrange as it plays an essential role in creating a natural clear sound, and start with 6-7 KHz as lower treble. When it comes to mid and upper treble, it become a bit more difficult since most iems roll off around 10 KHz. But I guess I would say around 10 KHz is mid treble and 15 KHz is upper treble. I'd say 60 KHz is a cross point between sub- and mid-bass, but mostly because Alex recently mentioned that hehe.

I only go by a well known FR chart: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm so we're all on the same page
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #38 of 39,414
I "sorta" know what you like, so I'm guessing Zeus

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #40 of 39,414
Wow...what an amazing launch and introduction of this new thread.

Went to bed early (didn't feel that well) and couldn't resist a peak at HF at 3 'o clock in the morning on my phone. Result: now I'm totally awake and typing this, haha...

With outcome to the shoot-out you only mean the prediction of the #1? In that case I think somebody here allready could have guessed right. So I'll choose a total dark horse, which is the Warbler Prelude.

Back to sleep now...maybe some other catchy title suggestion will appear in my upcoming dreams :)

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #41 of 39,414
A most excellent thread in which to subscribe! I humbly subscribe and anxiously await your last four so that I may of course shoot a dart at a brick wall; hoping it sticks with the correct choice for #1.

Thank you for letting those of us who cannot partake in such a endeavor be part of your endeavor! I await the reviews first and foremost. :beers:

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #44 of 39,414
Oh guys, I actually meant by the prediction all 15 correct. But I might consider just top 5. Only the first one would be too easy
wink.gif

So hold on with the predictions for now since some important ones are still coming along!

better make it top-3

still not too easy but possible to have a correct guess

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #45 of 39,414

better make it top-3

still not too easy but possible to have a correct guess

Yeah but my guess is top 3 would still be pretty easy, and if 50 people or more want to participate it would come down to who posts the right variation of the top 3 first. And it has to be challenging man, it's a $900 iem haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back