Rank the AKGs
Jan 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #46 of 51
Somebody told me that people from Phillips didn't think N6330 were built by AKG.
They thought K240 sextett (which they thought were using the techniques of N6330) were the outcomes of the eggheads from Phillips.

Besides, I guess you forgot to mention the versions of SOME cans, e.g. K240DF.
There are at least 4 versions of this model coming with: Blue & White passive radiators, Black & White passive radiators, Black paper-like ring, or White paper-like ring.
Correct me if I am wrong.

How come?
They do NOT sound the same.
If you have a careful check on early productions and late ones, you can tell the differences almost at a glance: the designs of the radiators or non-woven paper-like rings AND that of the TRANSDUCERS.

Michael Amon, a technical support from AKG, said that he couldn't tell me whether the new transducers on old cans could make them DFs.
That means new ones might not make old skeletons fulfill the specs of DFs. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #47 of 51
So, which version of KK do you like the most? or more specifically, the serial number range?
And also the same with K812.

AKG sometimes changes the materials of some models.
Maybe those cans still meet their own specs, but I guess the tolerances may be tough enough (which makes them great cans) at the beginning and relatively bigger and bigger later on. 

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #49 of 51
  Somebody told me that people from Phillips didn't think N6330 were built by AKG.
They thought K240 sextett (which they thought were using the techniques of N6330) were the outcomes of the eggheads from Phillips.

I had a N6330/99, see this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/371753/vintage-philips-n6330-sextett-look-alike-made-in-austria-by-akg/15#post_7237643

Clearly a AKG.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #51 of 51
Actually, Phillips partially owned AKG.
These two companies might have shared the same research department for headphones.
The Phillips people said that tweeters of K340(production from 1979) were using techniques of previous Phillips electrek models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back