Raleigh/Durham/Cary, NC, Saturday March 21, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #16 of 72
@Afghan Vet.  Can you remind me of the two discs you demo'd for me.
One had a lovely young lady's face on the front, and the other one was your drum demo that runs across the front of your dashboard in the car.

Thanks.
Rhett....
Howlin' Fester...

Mar 24, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #17 of 72
  @Afghan Vet.  Can you remind me of the two discs you demo'd for me.
One had a lovely young lady's face on the front, and the other one was your drum demo that runs across the front of your dashboard in the car.

Thanks.
Rhett....
Howlin' Fester...

Sure thing Rhett - I'm glad you enjoyed them. (not sure in this forum how to post YouTube vids that show the thumbnail).

Ibeyi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAzjmDZD4aY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atoFs1Gj4Go

And Dispatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_NViIq_7g

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 72
Oh yeah, Sol's little amp is pretty awesome when I listened to it.  I hope to hear more about it soon. 

BTW - Is JWahl's amp fixed yet!?!!?!

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #21 of 72
That was certainly a fun meet!  I would definitely go to the next one.  Really nice meeting familiar faces from the last meet in December.   Thanks to Shane and Sol for organizing this meet!  

Mar 26, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 72
Hey Howlin Fester & weitn--  what were your two favorite headphones? thanks

My two favorite headphones were:
1.  My Fostex TH-900.  Kinda selfish to pick my own, but that's why I bought them.  Cause I love them.
2.  Audeze LCD-XC.  I had to talk myself out of walking out of there with a pair.

Apparently, I must love the closed can sound.

Honestly, I didn't listen to many different headphones.  I listened to the Audeze EL8 Closed.  I loved how those felt.  But the presentation didn't slap me in the face and make me want them.

Once I tried the LCD-XC, I spent most of the afternoon checking out the XC vs the TH-900.  I think the XC and TH900 are different enough that I may get the XC at some point.  The TH-900 have a U shaped presentation with great bass impact and fun presentation.  The XC provided more midrange, but don't sacrifice bass and highs.  So they appear to be more neutral throughout the frequency band but still have bass impact that I love on the TH-900.

Honorable mention to JWTrace's MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs.  He has a beautiful rig, and sounded great with the Alpha Dogs and the...  Wait for it..  TH900's.  (Now show your surprised face..)

I also fell in love with the Unison Research SH tube headphone amplifier.  We hooked the UR SH up to JWTrace's Auralic just before I left.  Wish I could have spent another 4 hours or so listening to that setup.  Oh well.  Next time I show up earlier and plan to leave later.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 72
  Oh yeah, Sol's little amp is pretty awesome when I listened to it.  I hope to hear more about it soon. 

BTW - Is JWahl's amp fixed yet!?!!?!

Haha, I wish.  Looking forward to it for sure. Haven't heard anything yet, been pretty busy this week though.  I'll have to get in touch with him soon.  Trying not to pester yet.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 72
  My two favorite headphones were:
1.  My Fostex TH-900.  Kinda selfish to pick my own, but that's why I bought them.  Cause I love them.
2.  Audeze LCD-XC.  I had to talk myself out of walking out of there with a pair.

Apparently, I must love the closed can sound.

Honestly, I didn't listen to many different headphones.  I listened to the Audeze EL8 Closed.  I loved how those felt.  But the presentation didn't slap me in the face and make me want them.

Once I tried the LCD-XC, I spent most of the afternoon checking out the XC vs the TH-900.  I think the XC and TH900 are different enough that I may get the XC at some point.  The TH-900 have a U shaped presentation with great bass impact and fun presentation.  The XC provided more midrange, but don't sacrifice bass and highs.  So they appear to be more neutral throughout the frequency band but still have bass impact that I love on the TH-900.

Honorable mention to jtwrace's MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs.  He has a beautiful rig, and sounded great with the Alpha Dogs and the...  Wait for it..  TH900's.  (Now show your surprised face..)

I also fell in love with the Unison Research SH tube headphone amplifier.  We hooked the UR SH up to jtwrace's Auralic just before I left.  Wish I could have spent another 4 hours or so listening to that setup.  Oh well.  Next time I show up earlier and plan to leave later.

After hearing you TH-900's on my setup I decided I need a pair of those.  That was until my accountant called.  Ugh.  Hopefully Shane will still have that pair available when I'm ready.  I'll be at some more so you'll have a chance to hear the full stack again.  
L3000.gif
  Oh, yes, plan on the full day next time...I'm amazed at how quick 12hrs went.  

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #26 of 72
After hearing you TH-900's on my setup I decided I need a pair of those.  That was until my accountant called.  Ugh.  Hopefully Shane will still have that pair available when I'm ready.  I'll be at some more so you'll have a chance to hear the full stack again.  
L3000.gif
  Oh, yes, plan on the full day next time...I'm amazed at how quick 12hrs went.  

Hope you can get it worked out so you can buy a set.  I listen to them at work every day from my Peachtree audio.  I am so happy with this work setup!

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #27 of 72
Hope you can get it worked out so you can buy a set.  I listen to them at work every day from my Peachtree audio.  I am so happy with this work setup!

Me too. I'd much rather give Shane money over Uncle Sam. :smile:

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 72
Silly me - I intended to take several pics while there but only managed to snap a single one!  Too busy listening to great gear.

I've gotta say that everytime I listen to that AURALiC stack I want to punch myself in the face for not making enough money to easily afford it.  It seems to make everything sound so good.  I'd have to say that was my favorite component(s) of this meet and I will make more of a point to hog time on it at the next meet.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #29 of 72
Silly me - I intended to take several pics while there but only managed to snap a single one!  Too busy listening to great gear.

I've gotta say that everytime I listen to that AURALiC stack I want to punch myself in the face for not making enough money to easily afford it.  It seems to make everything sound so good.  I'd have to say that was my favorite component(s) of this meet and I will make more of a point to hog time on it at the next meet.

Next time you can listen to it as long as you want. :grin:

I'd also like to try the ARIES a with the Woo.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #30 of 72
in case anyone missed my comments over on the original, "starter" thread for our meet, i just wanted to say how much i enjoyed my time at the meet last weekend.

enjoyed meeting everybody.  i think we had a very good group. 

since this was my first meet, i was more like "kicking the tires", compared to some of the rest of you there.  i noticed that a couple of the people there were "on a mission" so to speak, (you could tell that they were there to hear how a "specific" headphone might sound with a "particular" amp and/or dac set-up). 

one guy in particular i noticed was "in like flynn".  he shows up, does some comparative listening through a couple of rigs, then he was gone.  he probably kept the car running. 

i didn't have the experienced "reference" that a lot of you guys had, since most of the gear that i was listening to was new to me. so, it was impossible for me to do good, comparative listening, when i didn't even have a "baseline" established yet, like most of you had/have.     

but it was fun.  i enjoyed it.  some very impressive pieces of gear were there.

it was a learning experience for me to be able to get my hands on certain pieces of gear and to hear them for myself.  pieces that i've only read about so far.

thank you sol for your patience in answering some of my stupid (to you, i know) questions.

and thank you to the vinyl guy for letting me hold some replacement G cush pads for my rs1's.  they DID make a difference.  (very much appreciated, man).    

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back