Raleigh/Durham/Cary, NC, Saturday March 21, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #46 of 72
I'm happy to report Sol has finished repairing my Super 7 amp and I'm enjoying it as I type.  So someone shoot me a message next time there's a meet.  If I haven't moved up North yet by then.  I'm also using an iFi iDSD Micro for my DAC now instead of the Concero HP.

May 3, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #47 of 72
  I'm happy to report Sol has finished repairing my Super 7 amp and I'm enjoying it as I type.  So someone shoot me a message next time there's a meet.  If I haven't moved up North yet by then.  I'm also using an iFi iDSD Micro for my DAC now instead of the Concero HP.

Great!  What did he find wrong with the Super 7 and do you like the way it sounds now?  Did he happen to mention another meet since this thread seems to be dead?  Moving up North?  VA?  Congrats on the Micro!  

May 3, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #48 of 72

That's pretty awesome. I had a brief listen to it last year in Charlotte when it was working (at low volumes) and even then, within limitations, it sounded great.

May 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #49 of 72

Good news, glad to see that baby back in operation. Hope I can hear it before you move!

May 3, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #50 of 72
It turned out it was originally just a zener diode that blew, but when he was messing with it at the meet he accidently shorted the (solid state) rectifiers and blew them too so he replaced them as well. I think he said the replacement rectifiers are higher quality ones that has been used in some past Cary equipment.  

It's sounding good with the HD800 as I expected but my biggest surprise was finally trying on the speaker taps with some old speakers I have.  The speakers are nothing fancy, just some mid 90's JVC 2.5 way towers I got from a garage sale for $20, but the amp drives it surprisingly well for only 1.5 Watts or so.  Granted, they're tower speakers in a small bedroom, but I was still quite surprised.

May 4, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #51 of 72
You guys might be interested this new product. I have one coming so if we ever have another event it will be there for all to try on YOUR setup. :grin:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen#post_11510664

Thanks Jason for the link - I'm certainly intrigued - especially with your feedback on that thread.

May 5, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #52 of 72
  It turned out it was originally just a zener diode that blew, but when he was messing with it at the meet he accidently shorted the (solid state) rectifiers and blew them too so he replaced them as well. I think he said the replacement rectifiers are higher quality ones that has been used in some past Cary equipment.  

It's sounding good with the HD800 as I expected but my biggest surprise was finally trying on the speaker taps with some old speakers I have.  The speakers are nothing fancy, just some mid 90's JVC 2.5 way towers I got from a garage sale for $20, but the amp drives it surprisingly well for only 1.5 Watts or so.  Granted, they're tower speakers in a small bedroom, but I was still quite surprised.

Great!  Is it your main amp now?  Maybe Shane can tell us if he's going to do another meet and we can all hear it.  

Thanks Jason for the link - I'm certainly intrigued - especially with your feedback on that thread.

No problem.  Maybe if/when there is another meet anyone can try it on their setup.  

May 10, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #53 of 72
Great!  Is it your main amp now?  Maybe Shane can tell us if he's going to do another meet and we can all hear it.  

No problem.  Maybe if/when there is another meet anyone can try it on their setup.  

Yes it is my main amp now. I was going to have Sol do a capacitor upgrade on it but he was really busy so I am doing it myself. I've ordered the parts as well as parts and wire from Double Helix Cable to build a balanced cable for my HD-800.

May 11, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #54 of 72
And also,

If I do end up moving up north in the next few weeks, I'll have to pass through Raleigh anyways, so I could always stop along the way to do a small get-together for anyone who really wants to give it a listen.

May 11, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #58 of 72
Will definitely update when I find out for sure either way. Gotta get one more in with the NC crew before I have to start scanning the Michigan meet scene.

May 28, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #59 of 72
And another update for whenever the next meet comes along.  I've also completed a capacitor upgrade on my Super 7.  Replaced the stock Solen interstage caps with Jantzen Silver and the stock Nichicon electrolytic feedback caps with these monster sized Jantzen Superior.  Quite a nice improvement overall, though a bit less forgiving with the HD800.

May 28, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #60 of 72
Sweet.  Hope to here it before next Febunever.  
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back