Raleigh/Durham/Cary, NC, Saturday March 21, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 72
glad you saw my post, Jazic. 
smily_headphones1.gif

i think next time i'll be more focused and will be able to "zero-in" on a few more specific combinations.

for somebody like me who was taking in their first meet, it seemed liked the afternoon last saturday went by way too quick! 

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #33 of 72
glad you saw my post, Jazic.  :)   

i think next time i'll be more focused and will be able to "zero-in" on a few more specific combinations.

for somebody like me who was taking in their first meet, it seemed liked the afternoon last saturday went by way too quick! 

It was my first meet as well.

Next time I'll just bring sticky notes for all my gear and tell people to use whatever they like and browse more.

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 72

i didn't have the experienced "reference" that a lot of you guys had, since most of the gear that i was listening to was new to me. so, it was impossible for me to do good, comparative listening, when i didn't even have a "baseline" established yet, like most of you had/have.     

Great point and well said.  It comes with time.  I think this was my 4th meet now and I've bought and sold a lot of different headphones and equipment to get an idea of what I really like.  The HD-800 is currently my reference TOTL for my tastes, but for the longest time I avoided them like the plague based on others' descriptions, which I eventually found didn't really apply to me.  So that frame of reference helps even more when you're reading others' impressions on other gear online.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #35 of 72
  The HD-800 is currently my reference TOTL for my tastes, but for the longest time I avoided them like the plague based on others' descriptions, which I eventually found didn't really apply to me.

LOL.  So the Skrillex with the HD-800 didn't kill it for you?  Your comment was one of the funniest things I heard all day...  :^)

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #36 of 72
After listening to ardgedee's system at the meet, I've decide to sell my Alpha Prime and move in the direction of HE-6 driven by a speaker amplifier.

If anybody is interested in the AP as a really good closed-back headphone, please PM me. Buying locally means you can auditioning it for several days and save some.

Bought from Mr. Speakers in Dec., 2014. It looks and works flawlessly. It is claret in color, with a single-ended 1/4'' plug cable, a headphone stand, as well as a box and paper work.

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #37 of 72
  LOL.  So the Skrillex with the HD-800 didn't kill it for you?  Your comment was one of the funniest things I heard all day...  :^)

Haha, I totally forgot about that.  To be honest, music like that is usually relegated to car stereo duty so no conflicts with the HD-800.  Though some electronic music sounds good on it, like Deadmau5 and Massive attack.  One only needs to listen to Massive Attack's "Angel", if they doubt the HD-800's ability to reproduce bass.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #38 of 72
I know I'm late but I'm really grateful for having had the opportunity to come and meet such an amazing group of audiophiles. Thanks to everybody especially Shane and soll for setting that up. 

My biggest surprise was the ifi Micro iDSD especially that I'm now looking for a new DAC to replace my Schiit Modi. I never thought iMicro would be that great. To my ears, it's even on another league atop the Bifrost. Speaking of which Bryan setup the Lyr, Bifrost combo with the Audeze XC is so good. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to try the McIntosh amp  with the HE-6, and the Auralic system. 

The K1000 was really interesting concept, and the Audeze LCD-XC was the best I listened to. 

It's been a pleasure meeting y'all! 

------

If anybody is interested in the AP as a really good closed-back headphone, please PM me. Buying locally means you can auditioning it for several days and save some.

Bought from Mr. Speakers in Dec., 2014. It looks and works flawlessly. It is claret in color, with a single-ended 1/4'' plug cable, a headphone stand, as well as a box and paper work.

Interesting offer for great closed cans. Unfortunately my wallet is not ready now. However, if you don't sell them after 2 weeks contact me.  

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #39 of 72
Had a great time at the meet as well. The K1000 in particular was a very fun discovery! Had a bunch of good conversations about gear choice with my tablemate Jazic, and meeting with everyone from the last meet. Can't wait for the next one.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #40 of 72
Had a great time at the meet as well. The K1000 in particular was a very fun discovery! Had a bunch of good conversations about gear choice with my tablemate Jazic, and meeting with everyone from the last meet. Can't wait for the next one.

Lots of fun stuff. I want a pair of HE500s now. It was my first meet and it definitely won't be my last.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #41 of 72
Hey guys and gals.  I was wondering if Rob from West Virginia ended up picking up the EL8, and some other gear.
Rob from WV, if you are on here, speak up.  If he isn't on here, who knows him?  Push him to get an ID and let us know how he is doing.
Did he order the DX90?  What amp did he go with?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #42 of 72
Any thoughts on the next one?  If we can start planning it now before summer it might be beneficial to all.   
beyersmile.png

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #43 of 72
I'm eager to hear about the next meet, as well!

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #44 of 72
Any update on the next?  

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #45 of 72
You guys might be interested this new product. I have one coming so if we ever have another event it will be there for all to try on YOUR setup. :grin:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762967/uptone-audio-usb-regen#post_11510664

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back