Rainny Day Headphones?
Oct 3, 2011 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

duccklings

New Head-Fier
I want a good set of breathable headphones for sweaty, humid and/or rainy days.
Something durable and waterproof.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Well...technically most closed headphones can be used in the rain. (But please don't...) Breathable AND waterproof isn't a very good match though.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 18
i'd probably look for IEM's advertised for sports use, sporty people sweat alot, so if they get on with them then should be fine.

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 18
these are supposed to be waterproof, washable, etc. Here's a backwards picture ( not mine I got it from and auction ) see if you can find the model.
The description was :" PHILIPS EAR HOOK HEADPHONES. THESE HEAD PHONES ARE MADE FOR SPORTS, THEY ARE SWEAT PROOF, WATER PROOF AND WASHABLE IN RUNNING TAP WATER. THEY ARE ALSO ADJUSTABLE FOR A COMFORTABLE FIT. "

just  saw it while browsing. No idea what there is in full size though. See you can even ride bikes with them too just like the guy in the picture :)

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 18
STAX SR-009 looks waterproof 
cool.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 18
I've used the HD25 under snow and the plastic cups were wet on the outside, very tough headphone and completely sealed, as long as you dont let the inside of the earpad-cup gets wet. you're OK.

Quote:
i'd probably look for IEM's advertised for sports use, sporty people sweat alot, so if they get on with them then should be fine.

this is the best idea so far.

Quote:
STAX SR-009 looks waterproof 
cool.gif

this is what happens when you watch too much MLP

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 18
http://www.h2oaudio.com/

This seems appropriate. However I can't vouch on sound quality as I've never tried them but I did see them in a catalog BHphoto sent to my house. I found them neat.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 18
Check out a shop that specializes in swim gear.  There are numerous waterproof IEM's and buds specifically made for use in/under the water, so rain should be a breeze.  I have no clue about SQ though.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 18
Logic says the smaller the better.

I would go with a pair of IEM's.

Plastic would be better than metal if they get wet.

Most iems I've seen have the vent on the bottom.....so that shouldn't be problem.

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I want a good set of breathable headphones for sweaty, humid and/or rainy days.
Something durable and waterproof.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Yep - road-tested and proven all by accident.

I was caught out in a flash sun shower with my M50's - they are surprisingly sprinkle proof. If it starts absolutely bucketing down then
I recommend folding them and pushing the cups together to create a weather proof seal. The pads themselves will actually
take a decent sprinkle before allowing water through to the drivers.

Don't go swimming with them by all means but they can survive the elements.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 18
You could try Sennheiser MX680, they're supposed to be sweater and water proof but I doubt it. They're also only IEMs. Or if you really don't care for SQ at all, go buy really cheap headphones that you can afford to throw out after a few rainy days.

At the end of the day, they're headphones, made for use in dry, room temprature conditions (AKA indoors) mostly, not Rolex diver watches. If you want that kind of durability, you're either going to be:

-Paying a price price
-Taking a huge hit in SQ
-Both

Good luck.

P.S. Most headphones will not break in humid/sweaty condition, at least I wouldn't think so. If it's raining, there's another solution - an umbrella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back