RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Aug 21, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #676 of 1,184
Really sucks about the anodized layer coming off... it’s actually not very unusual, however. Anodizing aluminum doesn’t make it indestructible. It also doesn’t really do anything to protect the aluminum deeper than the roughly 0.0005-0.001” dyed layer.

I’m guessing that the edges/corners aren’t getting completely cleaned and polished before the anodizing process, making the bond weaker on those spots. Beyond prepping it better, it’s possible that they’re not doing a thicker “hard coat” anodizing process, which would make it much more durable.

Ultimately, while there are probably some things they could have done differently in the manufacturing process, those spots are the most susceptible to wear and will probably never not buff off.

Aug 21, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #678 of 1,184
Someone has previously posted about his Rai Penta issues where the anodized coating was wearing off easily around the edges. Well, it is also happening on my Rai Penta. I have bought it new for about 1 month only and have been careful using it (no drops or rough handling; also keeping it in the pouch when not in use). I’m really disappointed with the Rai Penta coating/build quality.

I would like to check if anyone else is having the same issue and What can I do about it? I bought it from a local Meze dealer.

Thanks.

Yes it was me and mine also happened after about 1.5 months. Apparently it's not uncommon according to the shop where I bought them from (in Hong Kong) and it also happened to a lot of Campfire Andomedas (I think the green one) I agree this should be brought to the attention of Meze. It's really an eyesore especially with such a beautiful curvy design to begin with.

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #679 of 1,184
Yes it was me and mine also happened after about 1.5 months. Apparently it's not uncommon according to the shop where I bought them from (in Hong Kong) and it also happened to a lot of Campfire Andomedas (I think the green one) I agree this should be brought to the attention of Meze. It's really an eyesore especially with such a beautiful curvy design to begin with.

Yeah I remember your post some time back. Sorry bro for doubting you earlier. Now waiting a response from Meze on the email I sent yesterday.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #680 of 1,184
I emailed Meze about the issue with the coating coming off and I got the following response....

"Thank you for your email. I'm really sorry to see there are some wear off on the Rai Penta, unfortunately, the warranty does not cover wear and tear."

Any suggestions as to how to respond to this? They are advertised as having a "high endurance anodized surface" so the fact that it comes off under very light use (seriously - I haven't even been wearing them as I have been running them through a burn in programme on my phone) should constitute some sort of breach of the trade description. I'm fairly good at challenging stuff, just could do with a steer on the legal aspects if anyone has any experience of applicable regulations, e.g. how to frame an argument that this is a manufacturing defect rather than wear and tear.

@DavidS11 did you get a response from them? Was it the same?

Aug 23, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #682 of 1,184
I'm surprised to hear about all of these issues with wear. I've been taking mine out with me regularly for the past month and there hasn't been any signs of wear at all.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #683 of 1,184
Update - I have had a couple more emails with Meze and I am sending the IEMs back to them for them to have a look / get a replacement. I don't think this is a general issue with the Pentas, I just had the bad luck to get one that hadn't gone through the anodization process properly. A bit of a dodgy start but good customer service in the end - as to be expected (or at the very least hoped for) from a high end brand.

Thanks to @wackoip and @DavidS11 for flagging the issue otherwise I would have just thought it was me

Aug 23, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #684 of 1,184
Yes I have the standard response from Meze too - it’s wear and tear and normally not covered under warranty but we are willing to replace it if you send it back to us directly to Romania.

I have not decided yet to send it back. What are the chances of it getting lost in the mail at my own risk, condition of the replacement, and that it will still wear off again or something else.

My unit is still working fine except for the eye sores. I don’t know what else my options are.. Obviously I can’t sell it. I might just ignore it or just sand the whole damn coating off... or I might just move on and jump ship to another brand...

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #685 of 1,184
I might just ignore it or just sand the whole damn coating off.....

Hmmm - Penta Nude (sanded edition) could be quite cool :dt880smile:

They said it was wear and tear but I challenged that and I don't think it would stand up if things went down a legal/consumer rights route. I said that "these are advertised as having a "high endurance anodized surface". An anodized surface is supposed to be resistant to surface scratches and be able to protect appearance under normal wear and tear conditions. The fact that it can wear off under very light usage over a matter of a couple of weeks suggests that the anodised surface is not "high endurance" at all and this is either a manufacturing defect or misleading advertising."

It's about £60 to ship insured from the UK vs £15 tracked but uninsured so I'm still weighing up which method to go for but I will definitely send them back. I have asked around and I don't think it's a common enough problem that the risk of getting a set with the same issue is high (although those may be famous last words!).

Another option for you, DavidS11, might be to go back to the place you bought them from and request a replacement/refund from them. I don't know where you are based but often the liability lies with the seller rather than the manufacturer and it's then up to the seller to escalate.

Aug 23, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #686 of 1,184
No one cares to compare Rai to SE846? Is shure considered so low quality nowadays that it doesn‘t deserve a comparison to Rai?

SE846 is still a TOTL from shure, so maybe someone having both could compare them, please? :)

I‘m pretty happy with my shure, but in case it breaks one day - maybe Rai would be an option....

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #687 of 1,184
Hmmm - Penta Nude (sanded edition) could be quite cool :dt880smile:

They said it was wear and tear but I challenged that and I don't think it would stand up if things went down a legal/consumer rights route. I said that "these are advertised as having a "high endurance anodized surface". An anodized surface is supposed to be resistant to surface scratches and be able to protect appearance under normal wear and tear conditions. The fact that it can wear off under very light usage over a matter of a couple of weeks suggests that the anodised surface is not "high endurance" at all and this is either a manufacturing defect or misleading advertising."

It's about £60 to ship insured from the UK vs £15 tracked but uninsured so I'm still weighing up which method to go for but I will definitely send them back. I have asked around and I don't think it's a common enough problem that the risk of getting a set with the same issue is high (although those may be famous last words!).

Another option for you, DavidS11, might be to go back to the place you bought them from and request a replacement/refund from them. I don't know where you are based but often the liability lies with the seller rather than the manufacturer and it's then up to the seller to escalate.

Yes, I too was drawn to purchase the RP mainly due to the advertised benefits of excellent build quality and fit.

Thanks for suggestion, I will try the dealer route for the replacement process but not sure if Meze is agreeable. Dealer said they depend on manufacturer for product problems/returns. I think legally this should be the right process as it’s the point of purchase. I also felt that any costs associated with return should not be borne by the buyer.. we should not be made to paid for the trouble to resolve product problems not due to the buyer’s fault.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #688 of 1,184
No one cares to compare Rai to SE846? Is shure considered so low quality nowadays that it doesn‘t deserve a comparison to Rai?

SE846 is still a TOTL from shure, so maybe someone having both could compare them, please? :)

I‘m pretty happy with my shure, but in case it breaks one day - maybe Rai would be an option....

SE846 is certainly still relevant as a great iems today. Heck it can easily lasted at least 3 years or more without any wear and tear.. Compared to RP, I feel SE846 has better clarity overall. They both have their pros and cons. Maybe it’s asking price should be a bit lower by today’s standard.. regardless, it’s still good for sure.

Aug 23, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #689 of 1,184
Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back