RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Sep 3, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #707 of 1,184
I spent the last few months listening to the Meze Rai Penta alternating various dap and dac in my possession and my desire was to find an improvement from the medium range to rise and a refinement of the low range, perhaps with a greater articulation.
Not wanting to spend a high amount of money, some friends recommended an Italian cable manufacturer who builds, and then confirmed, some excellent cables using quality materials and finishes.
So I ordered their cable in a balanced 2.5 version so I could use it with everything I have, I have various adapters.
After a short period of adjustment tests, I can say with extreme confidence that it is the best result I could expect.
The cable that is a silver makes the mid / high range sound with more details and nuances without ever being annoying, sax for example are now more clean and bad while before they seemed too soft.
The very high range is more refined and airy and the lower with more articulation, audiophile terms but only to make you understand the major points of change.
Some photos included. invi2.JPG invi3.JPG

Sep 3, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #708 of 1,184
I have had different experiences with silver cables, some very famous and expensive and this one of the Invictus seems to me one of the most balanced, it does not upset the timbre but it acts on refinements on more levels, letting the MEze play in all its beauty and fluidity.
For me the Rai Penta are even more enjoyable, and now I also enjoy them with classical music, they have an incredibly wide headstage and on this second genre now they do not fear rivals.
surely there will be better cables, but at the price of the original replacement I find this Invictus a definite upgrade.
invi1.JPG

Sep 3, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #709 of 1,184
This is interesting regarding cables - I have enjoyed the stock Penta cable quite a lot. Was there significant dissatisfaction with it that led you to the upgrades? I was very impressed with the bass and sub-bass articulation through the mids to the highs and quite a big soundstage with the stock cable.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #710 of 1,184
Nah...it's not bad at all. People just like tweaking. I also upgraded the cable and was able to squeeze out a hair more transparency.

I measured the stock cable and it had pretty good conductivity. you really don't need to upgrade, but that's not going to stop a lot of us from doing so anyway!

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #711 of 1,184
Have been listening to Rai Penta out of my wm1a (4.4) for a few weeks. To be honest they didn't wow me upon first listening. I have/had QDC VX, CE-5. In some aspects they are better than Rai Penta.
Interestingly, I like Rai Penta more the more I listen more to them. They do well no matter what music I throw to them. They are non fatiguing at all so that I can enjoy music longer than I used to. They are also musical. The bass comes with enough quantity to me with good quality. The vocals sounds so emotional.

Sep 5, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #712 of 1,184
This is interesting regarding cables - I have enjoyed the stock Penta cable quite a lot. Was there significant dissatisfaction with it that led you to the upgrades? I was very impressed with the bass and sub-bass articulation through the mids to the highs and quite a big soundstage with the stock cable.

as mentioned above, in particular I don't find some very defined tools as they should be, you can look at my references on my profile, but already a comparison with jh13 freq phase, made you understand that there were not enough details with some tools. With this cable update I got what I was looking for, and anyway I needed a balanced cable, the stock is only 3.5mm, so to be able to use the headphone with sr15 and wm1a in balanced I had to buy a cable update.
On the micro contrasts there is now much more clarity, I repeat, maybe it's just what I was looking for, not all of us are looking for the same things, but now I do very well.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #714 of 1,184
Hello, I have a small question. The product that is being sent to Headfiers, for the review-tour does it come with a regular 3.5mm plug, or just a 4.4 balanced?

Thanks

We are flattered by the response of the tour, we thank everyone for their passion on our Rai Penta.

To enhance the experience of tour reviewer, we shall included a 4.4mm balanced silver plated earphone cable in the tour package.

rai-penta-cable-02.jpg

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #717 of 1,184
4.4mm cable is in addition to the stock 3.5mm cable.
Perfect, I would've been bummed out If it was only balanced. Not like that would've been the case because not everyone has balanced devices.

Sep 16, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #719 of 1,184
Hi guys - quick poll: what are your favorite tips with the Penta (stock or otherwise)?

I find the Spiral Dots I usually use very good but also very short - wax can drop straight in to those bores!

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

I find the stock silicone tips not suitable for me - the normal bore stock tips were a bit too bright/sharp sounding for me, while the wide bore tips were a bit on the muddy side. I don’t prefer the foam tips for sound preference reason.

I was using the Acoustune AET07 tips on the Rai Penta with a balanced cable before but have now switched to the Symbio W Peel and the FiiO FH5/FH7 Balanced tips as I feel they gave better clarity and balanced sound with the Rai Penta. Have not tried the Spiral Dots yet.

There is a tool provided to clean debris and dirt from the sound bores. The Rai Penta is designed with sound bores without a filter/mesh.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #720 of 1,184
Look what came in the mail as part of the World Penta Review Tour :)

Penta0.jpeg

Let's go for a few hours of getting to know each other and beginning of burn in... first ride with DX220 and AMP9 :)

First, I like how compact the shell are the fit is very nice (I quickly switched the tips by the way, on the pics the TenMaks but I tried on Sony Hybrids and the real thing my beloved custom silicon tips from Custom Art now we're talking. Pics coming later when I get back from work).

Penta1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back