RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Aug 7, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #646 of 1,184
The 4.4mm cable is indeed sold separately but mine was an offer from Meze.

Aug 10, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #648 of 1,184
update:

got the custom tips in. zero sibilance for me now! As I suspected, it was my massive canals. All Penta hopefuls can rest better tonight.

As you can see these are the eartune fidelity from advanced and cost me $150. Really the only gripe I have is that they don't lock in place on the IEM. They seal great, but when you seat them in your ears -with that twist motion CIEM users are familiar with - they can spin slightly. Also, silicone is more difficult to put in/take out than acrylic. It's a non issue with the gel they give you, but a pain to slather that on with each insertion. Perhaps in time they won't be as 'tacky' to the touch they are when new and the gel won't be necessary - we'll see.

Also, note the ravine that prevents vent obstruction on the smaller vent. The bigger vent is fully exposed. Sound is just great!

0809192230.jpg 0809192231.jpg 0809192231a.jpg

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #649 of 1,184
My friends, just a tip: get a nice cable for these. I just tried the Sony Kimber Kable 4.4mm I had here and damn did they come to life... Sound is much more vivid and in your face. It seems the stock cable is very restraining for these.

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #650 of 1,184
Aug 15, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #651 of 1,184
Balanced cable alone may or may not necessarily improve sound quality. Besides the quality of the cable, more importantly it depends on the quality of the amp/dap circuitry running in full differential mode.

Having said that I'm running balanced output with the Rai Penta for a while now. There is a definite increase in power and control when running in balance output but for me, it's not a night and day difference in sound quality. I can detect an improvement in bass response and a bit smoother in the mids & highs. On the SE output, I find the RP soundstage to be pretty average in size and it tends to sound a bit too forward/up-front sometimes. I was expecting a better soundstage in balanced output with a slight mid pullback but I didn't notice any major difference in the staging or sound signature, to be honest. Still, I think the RP sounded better overall with better control in balanced mode (smoother, more enjoyable sound & even more musical). Oh another thing... make sure to break-in the new balanced cable for at least a few hours. In my case, the mid was too recessed when the cable was new. It was resolved after about 10 or so hours. In general I'm not a proponent of equipment burn-in but in this case it really did improved. I was worried initially and am glad that it turned out ok after all.

Another thing I find is that the RP is quite tips and fit sensitive. It will not sound the best if you're not using the right tips (to me the stock silicone tips does not sound the best) or if there's a slightest difference in getting 100% fit. I have tried many tips and finally settled on the Acoustune AET07 tips. These tips are soft & comfortable on the outside with a thick firm core inside which focus on improving clarity and soundstage. They give better treble response without sounding harsh and does not affect bass response much. They are the best tips for the RP to me. Give them a try, you may like them. As usual YMMV.

With that, I think I have already maximised in squeezing the best from the RP and will not be spending anymore on it. I will enjoy the RP sound until my next major upgrade... :)

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #652 of 1,184
Finally had a chance to listen to these for the first time last week. Very comfortable - a tight fit without discomfort. Had that Meze warmer sound I remember from the Classic 99's. Seemed like a goof value for money.

Is it just me : or are these relatively inefficient for an IEM? I had the Hugo2 cranked up higher than I remember for other IEMs. More on the level of regular headphones.

Aug 15, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #653 of 1,184
Finally had a chance to listen to these for the first time last week. Very comfortable - a tight fit without discomfort. Had that Meze warmer sound I remember from the Classic 99's. Seemed like a goof value for money.

Is it just me : or are these relatively inefficient for an IEM? I had the Hugo2 cranked up higher than I remember for other IEMs. More on the level of regular headphones.

No, they are very efficient and easy to drive. Hugo2 will have no sweat to drive it.

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #654 of 1,184
Oh the Hugo2 had plenty of reserve left when I tried it : I was just surprised that I had the volume cranked to “red” when other IEMs are quite a bit lower.

How are other people’s experience using these with lower power devices such as phones and DAPs? More than enough “juice” to get the volume they want?

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #655 of 1,184

Yes, that's the one.

Balanced cable alone may or may not necessarily improve sound quality. Besides the quality of the cable, more importantly it depends on the quality of the amp/dap circuitry running in full differential mode.

Having said that I'm running balanced output with the Rai Penta for a while now. There is a definite increase in power and control when running in balance output but for me, it's not a night and day difference in sound quality. I can detect an improvement in bass response and a bit smoother in the mids & highs. On the SE output, I find the RP soundstage to be pretty average in size and it tends to sound a bit too forward/up-front sometimes. I was expecting a better soundstage in balanced output with a slight mid pullback but I didn't notice any major difference in the staging or sound signature, to be honest. Still, I think the RP sounded better overall with better control in balanced mode (smoother, more enjoyable sound & even more musical). Oh another thing... make sure to break-in the new balanced cable for at least a few hours. In my case, the mid was too recessed when the cable was new. It was resolved after about 10 or so hours. In general I'm not a proponent of equipment burn-in but in this case it really did improved. I was worried initially and am glad that it turned out ok after all.

Another thing I find is that the RP is quite tips and fit sensitive. It will not sound the best if you're not using the right tips (to me the stock silicone tips does not sound the best) or if there's a slightest difference in getting 100% fit. I have tried many tips and finally settled on the Acoustune AET07 tips. These tips are soft & comfortable on the outside with a thick firm core inside which focus on improving clarity and soundstage. They give better treble response without sounding harsh and does not affect bass response much. They are the best tips for the RP to me. Give them a try, you may like them. As usual YMMV.

With that, I think I have already maximised in squeezing the best from the RP and will not be spending anymore on it. I will enjoy the RP sound until my next major upgrade... :)

I think you misunderstood what I said. My Penta came with the stock Meze 4.4mm balanced cable, meaning I never even used them once on the ZX300 3.5mm out. So what I was trying to convey is that going from the Meze 4.4mm cable to the Sony 4.4mm cable made a hell of a difference for me. Music got a lot more... "body", if I can put it like that.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #657 of 1,184
My friends, just a tip: get a nice cable for these. I just tried the Sony Kimber Kable 4.4mm I had here and damn did they come to life... Sound is much more vivid and in your face. It seems the stock cable is very restraining for these.

I just got this in. Shout out to @alpha421 (Triton Audio Cables) for outstanding customer service, fast build/ship. This is the 24.5 AWG-4 wire litz cable in hybrid config (OCC SPC on the positive and OCC copper on the ground). It's too early to fully share sound impressions, but first listen manages to dig out some more ghost notes on snares and an presents a small overall increase in resolution. Enough to be noticeable even with a fresh cable vs the stock meze which is adequately 'burned in'. However, the stock Meze cable is by no means a bottleneck like other stock cables can be.

This cable measures at 0.2 ohms vs the meze's 0.7 ohms. For reference, a standard plastics one' measures 1.6 ohms. Photo credit TritonAudioCables - he even PM'd me this pic prior to mailing it out!

upload_2019-8-13_15-4-42.jpg

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #658 of 1,184
Oh the Hugo2 had plenty of reserve left when I tried it : I was just surprised that I had the volume cranked to “red” when other IEMs are quite a bit lower.

How are other people’s experience using these with lower power devices such as phones and DAPs? More than enough “juice” to get the volume they want?

I find the Meze to be sensitive, but not like andromeda or oriolus mk2. Any competent DAP should do. Fibae Black and Sony IERM7 are harder to drive. There's some serious reserve here with the volume settings:

Plenue 2 - low gain (52/140) is loud and drivers properly driven (I hear no difference with high gain) - zero hiss
DX150 amp 7 - high gain (50/150) sound is 'tighter' and 'airier' in high gain
LG V30 - 'normal audio device' quad DAC engaged - (24/75)

Aug 16, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #660 of 1,184
A good cellphone driving the Periodic Nickel via headphone out jack sounds great. Don't laugh, really not a joke! I was recently away from home for about a month and used my Galaxy S5/Nickel combo forTidal and Spotify and didn't feel I was missing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back