RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Jul 23, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #601 of 1,184
Out of interest, anyone know what brand (or nearest approximate), the stock silcone tips are with the Rai Penta?

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #602 of 1,184
I finally got the RP after a long wait.

Design, build quality, comfort and fit are excellent as others said. Most importantly, they seal very well with any tips I put on, unlike my previous iems. Even the double-flange tips, which never worked for me before on any iems. I just listened to them with stock tips within the hour of unboxing and they sounded great out of the box. Bass is not lacking and is well controlled. Mid is not too forward or laid back but is just right, where vocals is coming through with clarity and great present. Treble extension is just nice, clear and smooth; and not bright/sibilant at all. Soundstage is not super large but is very spacious with a 'dark' background. Clarity, separation and imaging are great - I could hear cleaner and clearer sounds than I could hear before.

All in all, a very well balanced and musical sounding set of iem. My only wish is a little more impact in the bass department. I'm not sure how much the DD will improve after burn-in (I doubt), but I will continue to listen and see how it goes. If not, I'm sure I can tune it a bit for my preference with some tips (eg. with CP100). Regardless, I am still happy with the bass as it is now, rather than have it over-powering the rest of the FR.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #603 of 1,184
Good to hear that. I returned my Xelento today and I will be ordering a set of Rai Penta's in the next weeks.

Jul 23, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #604 of 1,184
I finally got the RP after a long wait.

Design, build quality, comfort and fit are excellent as others said. Most importantly, they seal very well with any tips I put on, unlike my previous iems. Even the double-flange tips, which never worked for me before on any iems. I just listened to them with stock tips within the hour of unboxing and they sounded great out of the box. Bass is not lacking and is well controlled. Mid is not too forward or laid back but is just right, where vocals is coming through with clarity and great present. Treble extension is just nice, clear and smooth; and not bright/sibilant at all. Soundstage is not super large but is very spacious with a 'dark' background. Clarity, separation and imaging are great - I could hear cleaner and clearer sounds than I could hear before.

All in all, a very well balanced and musical sounding set of iem. My only wish is a little more impact in the bass department. I'm not sure how much the DD will improve after burn-in (I doubt), but I will continue to listen and see how it goes. If not, I'm sure I can tune it a bit for my preference with some tips (eg. with CP100). Regardless, I am still happy with the bass as it is now, rather than have it over-powering the rest of the FR.
I found that bass impact has improved on mine over time, especially with a source that has some horsepower.
Even though the Penta is quite easily driven, extra source power does noticeably improve the impact of bass transients.

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #605 of 1,184
All in all, a very well balanced and musical sounding set of iem. My only wish is a little more impact in the bass department.
. The spinfits CP100 mediums really featured the bass, as did the large double flange stock tips. Actually, using the large double flange was the most like headphones and had a wider stage because they don't fit as deep (allowing more of your ear to reflect and channel the sound). The large double flange have the most bass by a long shot (for me anyway).

Update: As I dial in the treble, and adjust to them more, I'm noticing that these have better treble layering and separation than I originally judged. Reverb tails and cymbal decays go on for a nice long time. When one crash or splash is decaying and another comes in, the first can still be heard behind it.

Jul 24, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #606 of 1,184
. The spinfits CP100 mediums really featured the bass, as did the large double flange stock tips. Actually, using the large double flange was the most like headphones and had a wider stage because they don't fit as deep (allowing more of your ear to reflect and channel the sound). The large double flange have the most bass by a long shot (for me anyway).

Update: As I dial in the treble, and adjust to them more, I'm noticing that these have better treble layering and separation than I originally judged. Reverb tails and cymbal decays go on for a nice long time. When one crash or splash is decaying and another comes in, the first can still be heard behind it.

Yes I agree, the double-flange tips sound the best among the stock tips for me too. The thing is the RP fit and seal so well that they are so versatile for rolling various type of tips (I have a chuck load).

I am also finding the reverbs and decays from the RP amazing.

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #607 of 1,184
I also noticed the RP tonality to be natural and accurate. I’m still going thru my music collection with the RP and I continue to get gouse bumps after gouse bumps, song after song... the RP is a keeper, no regrets totally.

I got a problem though.. i need to upgrade my player.. Does anyone have feedback on the RP and Kann Cube combo ? (Ideal dap as suggested by Meze for the RP). I’ve seen the KC and it size is massive but with nice design and build quality. I’m going to audition at the shop as soon as I have enough hours on the RP.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #608 of 1,184
guys, here's an interesting find by @tomscy2000 about penta and the fidue sirius A91, follow link below....

Post #1190

Now, I will say that despite the similarities noted, i have to think the Penta's tech is worth it, with the precision machined bores perfectly phase aligning the drivers' output. Still a great observation by this fellow headfier.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #609 of 1,184
I also noticed the RP tonality to be natural and accurate. I’m still going thru my music collection with the RP and I continue to get gouse bumps after gouse bumps, song after song... the RP is a keeper, no regrets totally.

I got a problem though.. i need to upgrade my player.. Does anyone have feedback on the RP and Kann Cube combo ? (Ideal dap as suggested by Meze for the RP). I’ve seen the KC and it size is massive but with nice design and build quality. I’m going to audition at the shop as soon as I have enough hours on the RP.

I was using the RP with a Fiio M11 until I got the Kann Cube the other week. The KC just brings the RP's to life and it's been my go to combo ever since. It is a large DAP and not something that I take when I'm out and about. If you can swing the cost of the KC, I would highly recommend it.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #610 of 1,184
I was using the RP with a Fiio M11 until I got the Kann Cube the other week. The KC just brings the RP's to life and it's been my go to combo ever since. It is a large DAP and not something that I take when I'm out and about. If you can swing the cost of the KC, I would highly recommend it.
Yes I went to local stall to test out the KC.... Omg.... I may retire my SR15 to my wife.... Ha ha.

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #611 of 1,184
I own Noble Encores but might try new sonys or this one, comparisons are welcomed

The only thing I don’t like about encores is the fit by the way
That Noble “Universal Fit” design sure is a stinker, especially since Noble only provides TERRIBLE tips in the default kit. (Search for ‘New Bee tips’ on Amazon. Look identical except for the colors, no? And those are the best tips in the kit..)

I found the Final Audio Type E to make the fit on my K10U well, about as enjoyable as any IEM. Very hard to match those nozzles though - at least with my ears.
:)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #612 of 1,184
those look like they'd provide a pretty shallow fit. Has anyone tried these? I'd try them out but have custom tips on the way.

I thought I’d take a gamble on them. I’ve never tried SpinFits before but the CP360 were a bit tricky to fit (I think I invented several new swear words) but....they do actually sound great; definitely the best match I’ve found so far. The most balanced by far, nice wide staging, nice details, dynamics and one of only about two tips I’ve tried that doesn’t kill the treble for me (which I find quite rolled off anyway).

The large size (I’d normally go for medium), offer decent insertion depth and seal and they’re super soft and comfortable.

All in all, they’re a winner to my ears.

C2EEB3EA-D66D-4F23-B9BA-AC6C2B77AABA.jpeg

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #613 of 1,184
Anyone compared the Kann Cube and Cayin N6ii with the RAI Penta? I've tried the KC with the RP and it's very nice sounding but I don't think I can take the massive size as I need one for mostly mobile use.

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #614 of 1,184
I thought I’d take a gamble on them. I’ve never tried SpinFits before but the CP360 were a bit tricky to fit (I think I invented several new swear words) but....they do actually sound great; definitely the best match I’ve found so far. The most balanced by far, nice wide staging, nice details, dynamics and one of only about two tips I’ve tried that doesn’t kill the treble for me (which I find quite rolled off anyway).

The large size (I’d normally go for medium), offer decent insertion depth and seal and they’re super soft and comfortable.

All in all, they’re a winner to my ears.

Seconded. I'm a size small, so I ordered small/medium CP360 tips and the mediums work great! :ksc75smile:

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #615 of 1,184
How do the CP360 tips differ from the CP100 tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back