RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #556 of 1,184
Well, about a week ago I asked Meze on IG if they had an update on the Rai Solo. Responded today with "Any moment now. Stay tuned!". Us peasants who like the look of the Penta but can't afford it, we get a Single DD :D

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #557 of 1,184
I just found out that these exist today, just as I was wondering if Meze could make a flagship IEM that could live up to all the praise that the Empyrean has gotten. That's what I get for being away from Head-Fi for several years. The weird thing is that not even a few hours after I found out about them, my cheap $50 Beyerdynamic Byron that was holding me over after my DITA Answer, and later my FAD Heaven VII, stopped working on me ALSO stopped working. (Never getting another IEM without a detachable cable again!) It's almost like the universe wants me to get these.

Anyone with the Empyrean able to tell me if these somewhat manage to take the Empyrean sound and shrink it into an IEM? My endgame desktop setup would be built around the Empyrean so an IEM that gets closest to that for me would be ideal.

Also, would the best place to get them in the US probably be Audio46? They offer a 10% coupon and I haven't seen any other place beating that deal.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #558 of 1,184
Also, would the best place to get them in the US probably be Audio46? They offer a 10% coupon and I haven't seen any other place beating that deal

Just FYI the 10% discount doesn't apply to these. It's not listed as a brand that's excluded but it is. Still, these sound fantastic and are small enough to not give you fit issues like some other TOTL IEMs. Worth the price without discount in my opinion. I bought from Audio 46 and they were good when FedEx took longer than anticipated, they called and made sure they arrived in time.

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #559 of 1,184
Anyone with the Empyrean able to tell me if these somewhat manage to take the Empyrean sound and shrink it into an IEM? My endgame desktop setup would be built around the Empyrean so an IEM that gets closest to that for me would be ideal.

I wouldn't say the RP replicates the Empryean sound in IEM form factor but I would say they both have very nice mid range and nice detailed treble without being bright at all. To me the Empryean's soundstage is amazing while the RP aims for more intimacy in that department. RP's DD bass is also slower than the Empryean's bass response but both are very well-controlled. I must say the RP is one of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever worn and the Empryean is also amazingly comfortable to wear.

Oh and the build quality of both of these are just excellent!

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #560 of 1,184
Just FYI the 10% discount doesn't apply to these. It's not listed as a brand that's excluded but it is. Still, these sound fantastic and are small enough to not give you fit issues like some other TOTL IEMs. Worth the price without discount in my opinion. I bought from Audio 46 and they were good when FedEx took longer than anticipated, they called and made sure they arrived in time.
Oh really? That's disappointing. It says that it's on back-order at Audio46 but HeadAmp has it in stock for the same price. Would like to get them asap since I have no fully functioning IEMs at the moment. I messaged Audio46 about the availability so I guess I'll see what they say before deciding where to order from. Thanks for the heads up though!

Jul 12, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #561 of 1,184
I wouldn't say the RP replicates the Empryean sound in IEM form factor but I would say they both have very nice mid range and nice detailed treble without being bright at all. To me the Empryean's soundstage is amazing while the RP aims for more intimacy in that department. RP's DD bass is also slower than the Empryean's bass response but both are very well-controlled. I must say the RP is one of the most comfortable IEMs I've ever worn and the Empryean is also amazingly comfortable to wear.

Oh and the build quality of both of these are just excellent!
Well I wouldn't expect the soundstage to come anywhere close on the RP considering it's an IEM haha. But the FR and tonal balance seems to be similar if I'm understanding correctly? Comfort, build quality, and design are all very important to me so that's great to hear!

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #562 of 1,184
Well I wouldn't expect the soundstage to come anywhere close on the RP considering it's an IEM haha. But the FR and tonal balance seems to be similar if I'm understanding correctly? Comfort, build quality, and design are all very important to me so that's great to hear!

I think the RP and Empryean complements each other well and they have some similar traits but I wouldn't consider them to have similar tonal balance. I remember one person in the Empyrean thread demoed the Empryean first followed by the RP and was so blown away by the Empyrean, he didn't really want to pick up the RP despite its solid performance.

I use them on separate occasions and do enjoy both haha.

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #563 of 1,184
Oh really? That's disappointing. It says that it's on back-order at Audio46 but HeadAmp has it in stock for the same price. Would like to get them asap since I have no fully functioning IEMs at the moment. I messaged Audio46 about the availability so I guess I'll see what they say before deciding where to order from. Thanks for the heads up though!

I definitely got the last pair a week ago. Sorry! I tried using the discount code but it didn't work so I bought anyways. E-mailed them and that's how I found out the coupon code isn't good for Meze. I still feel like $1,100 is a good price for these. I also got the Sony IER-Z1R this week, and the Sony has some advantages, but so do the Rai Penta. I am still burning in the Rai Penta to see if the bass opens up some like people say it will. But the comfort level and sound signature is pretty nice.

Jul 12, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #564 of 1,184
I think the RP and Empryean complements each other well and they have some similar traits but I wouldn't consider them to have similar tonal balance. I remember one person in the Empyrean thread demoed the Empryean first followed by the RP and was so blown away by the Empyrean, he didn't really want to pick up the RP despite its solid performance.
Ah, well I think I'll still take a leap of faith on the RP based on all the good things I've heard and Meze's track record. Want to get the Empyrean eventually but open-back cans just don't suit my current living situation.

I definitely got the last pair a week ago. Sorry! I tried using the discount code but it didn't work so I bought anyways. E-mailed them and that's how I found out the coupon code isn't good for Meze. I still feel like $1,100 is a good price for these. I also got the Sony IER-Z1R this week, and the Sony has some advantages, but so do the Rai Penta. I am still burning in the Rai Penta to see if the bass opens up some like people say it will. But the comfort level and sound signature is pretty nice.
It's cool! Would be interested in hearing some in-depth comparisons between the RP and Z1R at some point!

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #567 of 1,184
Update on my experience with Penta:

I had been having sibilance issues if you recall. It's definitely my ear anatomy so don't fret. I just found some triple flange tips buried in another container I had. These not only take up much more volume in my cavernous ears, they also fit deep and seal against the 2nd bend. This shifts the resonance I was experiencing higher up the FR spectrum to where it doesn't bother me. With that said, the penta's are a keeper. Stage hasn't narrowed, and the FR is excellent now. I'm stoked!

Now that I know it's an air volume resonance, and not the Penta's tuning, I'm going to order custom fit tips for them by Advanced Sound. They apparently have a Penta on hand to do the fit. Will update again in a few weeks after I've got them installed.

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 11.22.14 PM.png

Very interested in the Penta! :)

How would you rate sound isolation and sound leakage?

if you mean isolation, these are not ideal for commuting. Depending on tips, you may gain a couple dB isolation. But these are the least isolating of any sealed BA IEM I've had. I can't compare them to anything 'vented'. Not terribly bad at isolation, they're just a noticeable step behind. You can still commute with them, but you'll have to turn it up, and street noise will still rumble in the background (IE car drone, etc). I wouldn't dare take them on a plane. Actually, I did last week, and within half a song I packed them away in favor of my custom fibae blacks. Sealed customs on a plane is the way to go. It was shocking how low I could play the music and still not hear the plane rumble.

Jul 15, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #568 of 1,184
Just received the Rai Penta and been listening to them for the last two hours. iBasso Dx220 and spiral dots.
Holy crap, this is end game stuff!!

I went ahead and ordered the Meze 2.5 balanced cable. They deserve the best.

Color me impressed.

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #569 of 1,184
Just received the Rai Penta and been listening to them for the last two hours. iBasso Dx220 and spiral dots.
Holy crap, this is end game stuff!!

I went ahead and ordered the Meze 2.5 balanced cable. They deserve the best.

Color me impressed.
So you like them more than the Andromeda S?

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #570 of 1,184
So you like them more than the Andromeda S?

Yes, the Penta seems to really match my preferred sound signature. Still the Andro S are amazing Iems and other people may prefer them :) Different people, different ears.
I think the Penta are a better companion to the LX anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back