RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Jul 5, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #541 of 1,184
The Rai Penta is a great little IEM...especially suited for traveling and commuting given its ergonomics and sound isolation, in addition to it's great sound.

Mine arrive on Wednesday but most likely after I leave for the airport already. Was really hoping to get to test these on a flight and for travel, but they'll have to sit at my desk alone for three extra days!

My IER-Z1R come Monday, which aren't nearly as well suited for travel. But I guess I'm gonna have to put those through their paces anyways on the road.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #542 of 1,184
I got a review loaner set from Kitsune Hifi via Meze Audio this week, and this is quite the looker. I'll post some impressions and a review in the coming week or so. The case and cable are very nice and feel good.

P1030404.JPG

P1030416.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #543 of 1,184
Mine arrive on Wednesday but most likely after I leave for the airport already. Was really hoping to get to test these on a flight and for travel, but they'll have to sit at my desk alone for three extra days!

My IER-Z1R come Monday, which aren't nearly as well suited for travel. But I guess I'm gonna have to put those through their paces anyways on the road.

Look on the bright side.. you will have something exciting waiting for you to come back from your travel :wink:

Have a nice trip and look forward to your impressions.

Jul 8, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #545 of 1,184
Maybe you are not used to the new sound yet. Also, the cp100 do enhance bass a bit.

Suggestion: if you want to reduce more bass, try some Acoustune aet07 tips.

It's pretty crazy how your brain can adjust to sound over a long period of time. I have revisited iems I really like years ago only to now think it sounds odd with sharp treble or too thin, not at all how I remember them.

Jul 8, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #546 of 1,184
It's pretty crazy how your brain can adjust to sound over a long period of time. I have revisited iems I really like years ago only to now think it sounds odd with sharp treble or too thin, not at all how I remember them.

Yep, know what u mean. I guess if u continue to listen to them long enough, their sounds will all start to come back just like how u like them then.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #548 of 1,184
Hello, one help, can anyone let me know how this goes with heavy music, mostly prog metal and the Lotoo Paw Gold?

I like bass but not excessive and love to hear the details in the music.

Thanks

ditto. any thoughts from you penta owners on how this handles metal music / hard rock / progressive rock? With this music containing very fast drum fills and double kick, I find many monitors with a dynamic driver for bass a little sluggish. This genre also has a lot of cymbal work that can become fatiguing if a monitor is too hot. However, there still needs to be a presence in the upper treble for staging. I find that warm neutral monitors (all BA) work best for metal.

I've been enjoying the RAI Pentas with lots of heavy metal, some progressive, some death metal and speedy drum work. I do not find them sluggish. Arch Enemy, Alkaloid, Gojira, Aether Realm, Dream Theater -- they all work really well. Obviously, the better recordings and masters (Dream Theater's latest, Aether Realm's Tarot) sound better than the muddy and compressed recordings of, say, Arch Enemy. But in terms of attack and decay, in terms of just the right amount of brilliance (but not too hot), I love these IEMs.

Jul 8, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #549 of 1,184
I've been enjoying the RAI Pentas with lots of heavy metal, some progressive, some death metal and speedy drum work. I do not find them sluggish. Arch Enemy, Alkaloid, Gojira, Aether Realm, Dream Theater -- they all work really well. Obviously, the better recordings and masters (Dream Theater's latest, Aether Realm's Tarot) sound better than the muddy and compressed recordings of, say, Arch Enemy. But in terms of attack and decay, in terms of just the right amount of brilliance (but not too hot), I love these IEMs.

Now that I own the RP I can confirm that they are fast enough for metal. Tesseract, Soen, Epica, Amorphis, BTBAM, Devin Townsend, Haken, Katatonia, Opeth, Mastodon all sound fantastic.

There's no denying the technical abilities and excellent tuning of this IEM.

Jul 9, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #550 of 1,184
Now that I own the RP I can confirm that they are fast enough for metal. Tesseract, Soen, Epica, Amorphis, BTBAM, Devin Townsend, Haken, Katatonia, Opeth, Mastodon all sound fantastic.

There's no denying the technical abilities and excellent tuning of this IEM.
so funny, you are telling almost all my playlist, im interested in em but i went with the dunu 4001 first, they are arriving on friday hopefully, still, i would love to hear more about your experience with the pentas, right now im toying around with the tinhifi p1's really liking em, they are a bargain BUT im not comparing em at all with any high end or TOTL IEM, they are just a fun piece, will subscribe to follow more comments on this ones

Jul 10, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #551 of 1,184
I was up late last night listening to music with my Rai Pentas and iBasso DX220. I didn't want to stop. The RPs have been "burning in" since I got them, and their sound has really grown on me. They do well with all of the genres I've tried (classical, jazz, electronic, rock, pop). I also purchased the Meze silver-plated copper upgrade 4.4mm MMCX cable and it is a nice complement to the Pentas.

Until today, I've been commuting to work with the RPs. Last night, I couldn't find them in my bag after I got home. I thought to myself, "Did I really lose a $1K pair of earphones?" Ten minutes of total panic until I found them. I've decided that they're too valuable to leave my apartment anymore. They will be home earphones only. I'll commute with my Xelento Remote instead.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #552 of 1,184
I thought to myself, "Did I really lose a $1K pair of earphones?" Ten minutes of total panic until I found them. I've decided that they're too valuable to leave my apartment anymore. They will be home earphones only. I'll commute with my Xelento Remote instead.

No no no... that cannot be, life is too short not to enjoy your RP wherever and whenever :L3000:!

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #553 of 1,184
Jul 11, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #554 of 1,184
Very interested in the Penta! :)

How would you rate sound isolation and sound leakage?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #555 of 1,184
Very interested in the Penta! :)

How would you rate sound isolation and sound leakage?
Sound isolation depends on what tips you use, but it's not the best if you listen to music on low level. I haven't noticed any leakage on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back