Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 25, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #6,541 of 6,675
Which are the best settings for the above modes with this extreme EQ booster?
I don't know and suspect that they are independent of EQ, but to avoid clipping you will want a pre-amp reduction to match your boost. I do not know how that calculation works since it should account for the overall change due to the EQ.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #6,542 of 6,675
Got my ES100 MK2 for Xmas present from my daughter and I'm loving it so far👍
I'm using it with various monitors and would like to know what are the best settings to apply when i am using my UM MEST MK2 with extreme bass boost? In particular which is the best
'Eq Processing Headroom'
'Ak4375a DAC Digital Filter"
'Dot Level' & 'Crossfeed Level'
I'm using as VERY aggressive bass boost '+10db@31.5hz' & '+8db@63hz'
Which are the best settings for the above modes with this extreme EQ booster?
Thanx for the help its much appreciated
I’ll preface this response with a very non technical approach….can you hear the difference in your most critical music listening, when you make changes to these values? If so, have them match what sounds good to your music and listening style.

I absolutely love the ES100 and all the numerous controls, have played with them all (and researched what the setting is doing).

GEQ Factor…I get the best soundstage and ‘being in the recording room’ with it at .7071. Although, the blackness between distinct notes is more apparent at the 1.4142 setting.

EQ Processing Headroom…I seem to prefer the top setting. -6db predigital gain, +6db analog gain. The other settings change the overall volume, understandably, but also change the ‘liveliness’, if that makes sense.

DCT Level.…my ears don’t discern a difference at any setting. I leave at 0.

Crossfeed Level. I leave at 0. The higher the setting, the soundstage gets smaller, room airiness (treble) goes away.

AK4375 DAC Digital Filter.…tend to stay with Sharp Roll-Off for best soundstage, timbre of the instruments. Although the Slow Roll Off helps bring the instruments forward, at the expense of the soundstage instrument positioning.

HTH.

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #6,544 of 6,675
After just using the ES100 as a LDAC Bluetooth device, when my XtremPro X1 dongle decided to give up the ghost, I had to repurpose the ES100 as a USB AMP/DAC dongle. Lovely spacious AK4375 sound. Surprised at how good it sounds as a Dongle. Genius device with a great 2.5mm balanced.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #6,545 of 6,675
Heeeey!
I LOVE my ES100!!! Decided to upgrade the battery after a few years of usage. It worked!

Very nice. Thanks for the details and info. Just ordered this battery.

My ES100 (1st rev) isn't charging above 80-90% anymore, and then seems to drain very erratic once I'm using. Maybe it's miscalibrated...but going on a couple weeks with this behavior, so it's worth a try.

edit....Example....just plugged it in, app showing at 31%. Less than 5 minutes later, shows charging 99%. Unplug it, shows in the 80s% range. Discharge while using is this oddness also. It is almost 4 years old now....with many cycles on the original battery.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #6,546 of 6,675
Nice. I'm still trying to kill this first charge. 1% now for a week.... lool.

Compared to what it was doing, im near 3x more but compared to stock maybe 2x or so. A friend tried to do this mod with no tools or anything and had to order a soldering kit to make it all fit. It's a TIGHT fit but it's not impossible and I showed exactly how to fit it.

Hope it goes well!

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #6,548 of 6,675
Has anyone heard anything about a possible new model or this company basically kaput on R&D?
Not heard any new development from Radsone since the ES100 MKII, maybe others will chime in. I did read earlier that one of (if not the main developer) moved/started another company, and that product is currently the Qudelix-5K which is still in production, sells out every time they have a production run the past 6 months or so.

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #6,549 of 6,675
Not heard any new development from Radsone since the ES100 MKII, maybe others will chime in. I did read earlier that one of (if not the main developer) moved/started another company, and that product is currently the Qudelix-5K which is still in production, sells out every time they have a production run the past 6 months or so.

I've heard really mixed things about the Qudelix, but a lot of people seem to like it. People universally seem to love the ES100 in comparison.

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #6,550 of 6,675
I have the ES100 and the 5K. I don't think there's much of a contest. IMHO, the 5K is better in every way other than buttons. In addition, it's under constant development and new features and fixes are being made all the time. It's a shame that Radsone lost their key developer, but I think the 5K is an evolutionary step up.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #6,551 of 6,675
I have the ES100 and the 5K. I don't think there's much of a contest. IMHO, the 5K is better in every way other than buttons. In addition, it's under constant development and new features and fixes are being made all the time. It's a shame that Radsone lost their key developer, but I think the 5K is an evolutionary step up.
How do they compare in sound quality?

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #6,552 of 6,675
People universally seem to love the ES100 in comparison.
In my opinion, I do not think this is accurate. Yes, many still "love" the ES100 but not everyone thinks it is the best out there anymore. ES100 also had it's share of issues such as clips breaking if I recall correctly (never had this issue with mine). I think the ES100 was really the only game in town for a while. I still have one and it was working perfectly fine when I used to actually use it but I never really "loved" it. It served it's purpose but I do "love" my Qudelix 5K. I tried to give my ES100 new life by leaving it attached to my AVR in my living room but that eventually got replaced by a streamer. ES100 is now sitting in a box with unused TWS and IEMs. Aside from the buttons, I actually prefer the design and, more importantly, the functionality of the Qudelix 5K. It has a pretty black background with my SE846 and can drive my Aeon 2 Noire (balanced) in a pinch. The PEQ is really awesome as well and I find the 5K to sound very transparent (without EQ of course).

Don't get me wrong, ES100 was a great device but I think many have moved on to newer devices such as the Qudelix 5K, Fiio BTR5, true wireless adapters for IEMs, etc.

I agree.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #6,553 of 6,675
How do they compare in sound quality?
It's been a while, my ES100 is currently sitting in a drawer. But what I remember is that it has a slightly softer, warmer presentation while the 5k has more detail retrieval. With the EQ (which I usually tailor based on what I'm listening on), the differences can probably be zeroed out to a great degree. The biggest difference to me is the greater power the 5k has - I can run most of my cans to a level where they're enjoyable to listen to. The ES100 couldn't drive some of my gear (mostly headphones, but there were a few IEMs that it didn't push enough). I think the 5k has about twice as much power from the figures online (balanced and unbalanced).

Also, having access to the Auto EQ settings on the 5k is pretty awesome. It gives me a starting point to adjust from. It also means I don't have to figure out PEQ from scratch, which I haven't managed yet.

Mar 2, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #6,554 of 6,675
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #6,555 of 6,675
To me its the other way round, I much prefer the ES100 soundwise and by its physical interface. The 5K sounded a bit cold and sterile to me, its button interface is... not that good, and its associated configuration software is much too complex (the ES100 companion is not much better though, but still a bit clearer to me). The ES100 feels better in hand with the rounded corners and smoother edges. The clip of the 5K may be better though.

Yes, Radsone seems to not be able to come up with a successor (USB-C anyone?), so it looks a bit like a dead end. I do like the sound of the Go BLU, but its double the price and misses the clip. Sold my 5K some months ago and did not miss it a single moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back