Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 28, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #6,512 of 6,675
Does anyone know if the ES100 is due for a makeover, e.g. Mk3?
Yes… EarStudio :wink:

Honestly it doesn’t look likely at this point. As far as I remember the main designer of the ES100 left to create the Qudelix and EarStudio seem to struggle ever since. But this is only my impression which may well be wrong.

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #6,514 of 6,675
What would be a clear upgrade from ES100 MKII?
Have read through BTR5, UP5, X5 threads, seems like they all have all sort of issues, either HW or SW, so not sure if there is a clear winner.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #6,515 of 6,675
Have read through BTR5, UP5, X5 threads, seems like they all have all sort of issues, either HW or SW, so not sure if there is a clear winner.
I think the ES100 is still relevant, and I like it’s DAC. The Qudelix was overwhelming with its configuration and sounded too lean to me. The ifi GO Blu is quite nice yet more expensive. Some people talk about connection problems with the ifi, which I did not experience.

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #6,516 of 6,675

I use the Shanling UP5 with my AV setup, mainly due to aptX LL support. Honestly, the Hiby R3 Pro DAP is a much more flexible option and only slightly larger. It supports both BT TX and RX as well as Airplay and DLNA. And it's a DAP with Tidal and Qobuz streaming built-in.

Jan 29, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #6,517 of 6,675
Honestly, the Hiby R3 Pro DAP is a much more flexible option and only slightly larger. It supports both BT TX and RX as well as Airplay and DLNA. And it's a DAP with Tidal and Qobuz streaming built-in.
That looks like an interesting option... I don't want to carry a DAP anymore, but such a versatile Bluetooth/wireless thing with the option to play music from local media does look nice. Quite a bit larger than the ES100 though.
I had my eyes on the Shanling M0 for some time, which can also be used as a Bluetooth receiver and play Files by itself, due to its small size. But in the end I'm mostly using AirPods 3 in the go nowadays... yes, they sound good, much better than the earlier generations. So the need for a small mobile Bluetooth receiver waned...

Jan 29, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #6,518 of 6,675
I use the Shanling UP5 with my AV setup, mainly due to aptX LL support. Honestly, the Hiby R3 Pro DAP is a much more flexible option and only slightly larger. It supports both BT TX and RX as well as Airplay and DLNA. And it's a DAP with Tidal and Qobuz streaming built-in.
Nice, thanks for your input. I have narrowed it to BTR5 and UP5.
- BTR5 seems to be more stable with some track record but I've read that single ended output is pretty drab, not sure if 2021 refresh addressed that or not (would like to know if anyone has any info on that), also seems like 2021 versions brick after using EQ.
- UP5 on the other hand does not have that problem, both SE and balanced worked equally good, but plagued by QC issues, buggy FW and unstable USB connection.
- Took a quick look at Hiby R3 Pro DAP, seems like BT might not be it's strong suit though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B081TD512M
- Read some rumors that new BTR is around the corner and Qudelix is planning some refresh (hopefully they replace that ugly enclosure with something less DIY looking)

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #6,519 of 6,675
Nice, thanks for your input. I have narrowed it to BTR5 and UP5.
- BTR5 seems to be more stable with some track record but I've read that single ended output is pretty drab, not sure if 2021 refresh addressed that or not (would like to know if anyone has any info on that), also seems like 2021 versions brick after using EQ.
- UP5 on the other hand does not have that problem, both SE and balanced worked equally good, but plagued by QC issues, buggy FW and unstable USB connection.
- Took a quick look at Hiby R3 Pro DAP, seems like BT might not be it's strong suit though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B081TD512M
- Read some rumors that new BTR is around the corner and Qudelix is planning some refresh (hopefully they replace that ugly enclosure with something less DIY looking)

I use my R3Pro more than the others, although I use Airplay whenever possible for better than BT range and quality. Honestly none of them have the BT range of a decent smartphone. And yes, somehow I ended up with ES100, Q5k, BTR5 (non 2021) and UP5. They all work for me, but only the R3Pro and UP5 see regular use. My AirPods Pro also get used quite a bit, mainly for convenience.

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #6,522 of 6,675
I have ES100, UP2, UP4, BTR3, BTR3K and BTR5.
BTR3K is the clear winner for me - has the most natural sound on its single end output, and has a much better BT connection than BTR5.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #6,523 of 6,675
BTR3K is the clear winner for me - has the most natural sound on its single end output, and has a much better BT connection than BTR5.
I'd be very interested in your opinion on:
1) how you'd rate them best to worst
2) what you prefer in the BTR3K over the ES100

Also, does BTR3K only have 1 customizable EQ setting?

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #6,524 of 6,675
While I've spared myself of actually going through that comparison, I'd pick the BTR3K as an alternative to the ES100 as well. I've grown very fond of the AKM DACs from an old Fostex A8 (?) and the AK380, and the integrated DAC/Amp chips used in the ES100 seem to feature a similar sound signature. With the BTR3K being the only other Bluetooth receiver currently employing an AKM chip I'd consider trying that one out at some time. but reading how the BTR5 makes title jumping so complicated I'm a bit hesitant to give the BTR3K a go.

My first gen ES100 seems to start to feel its age (and daily usage for quite some time), now dropping connections sometimes. I still have a 2. gen ES100, and the ifi GO Blu, so there's no irgend need for another one.

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #6,525 of 6,675
Interesting recommendation on completely overlooked BTR3K, seems like nobody talks about it nowadays.
Some quick notes from Mr.ClieOS
BTR3K comes as a slightly surprised replacement / upgraded model for BTR3. The original BTR3 is one of the very first 'Hires' Bluetooth adapter in the market that targeted audiophiles that lost their 3.5mm socket on their new smartphone. It had done a lot of things right but it was always over-shadowed by its main competition, the ES100. FiiO no doubt has taken note of the situation and designed the BTR3K to take on the challenge. First thing to note is that the BTR3K measured very well in RMAA (which FiiO gears usually do). With DAC set to High Performance mode, the result is excellent on both single-ended as well as balanced output. Output impedance are also very low on both, in the perfect sub-1-ohm range. Max power output on the balanced 2.5mm is comparable to, if not just slightly higher than ES100 2.5mm (1x voltage). Max power on 3.5mm is about half of 2.5mm, but it should be more than loud enough for your average headphone. Both BTR3K and ES100 use (*different) AKM DAC/amp codec chips in dual configuration, so overall sound signature is fairly similar. On 2.5mm output, the difference is subtle and hard to say which is better. On the 3.5mm however, BTR3K offers better sound with bigger image / soundstage and grander presentation. In short, ES100 will be able to go louder - but for the same volume, BTR3K sounds at least as good (on 2.5mm) if not better (on 3.5mm). The only real advantage that ES100 still hold are on the more sophisticated app and a working EQ on LDAC. If neither of those are important to you, BTR3K will be a better buy, consider that FiiO's app, while not as good as E100, is still head and shoulders above the rest. Given it is only about $10 more expensive than the already-excellent-in-value Hiby W3, the BTR3K now probably represents the best value and best sounding BT adapter in the sub-$100 price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back