Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 10, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #5,986 of 6,675
Which one is supposedly closest to first gen 1-bit AKM DACs from the late-80's-early 90's, or should I say, which kind of filters did those use? I'm probably asking something impossible by today's standards, or achieving something nonsensical. I'm under the presumption that AKM stuck to the way they make their chips for decades, but I also recognize that implementation is important and differs greatly by devices, especially generations apart. I guess I just want that reassurance.

Typically those old AKM DAC chips won't list down which exact digital filter they used (but a good guess is that they probably used the standard "fast" / “shape” filter, as many old DAC did). Also, older DAC chip used external filter in their LPF stage as well, so they were likely combined digital+analog filter in design, which isn't common anymore as digital filter has gotten better so there isn't much need for analog filter.

Again, just listen and pick the one you like the best.

Feb 10, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #5,987 of 6,675
Typically those old AKM DAC chips won't list down which exact digital filter they used (but a good guess is that they probably used the standard "fast" / “shape” filter, as many old DAC did). Also, older DAC chip used external filter in their LPF stage as well, so they were likely combined digital+analog filter in design, which isn't common anymore as digital filter has gotten better so there isn't much need for analog filter.

Again, just listen and pick the one you like the best.
Well, funny you say that, I've had it settled on sharp roll off since I started using it, because for some reason, I don't know if it's placebo or not, but I've noticed it was to me out of all of them the one that sounded closest to the old AKM DACs, where you can hear the tonality shine in guitar solos and such, almost like you can hear how the individual instruments are being expressed, while having a rich and robust overall sound signature. I switched back and forth a few times, until I settled with sharp. Not only that, I was doing some research and found out not only confirming what you said and my selection, also, why AKM probably calls it "traditional sound" in the diagram of filters. I had a feeling after all I read "sharp" was the one I should leave it on, but I asked because I never had a device where I was given multiple choices, which made me feel a bit perplexed, and thought I was giving myself false expectations from the selection I've made. I didn't want to be totally off or do something "wrong" when I could achieve something better for my listening experience I guess is what I'm trying to say. I will say though, I'm not a big fan of this "VELVET SOUND", I've owned another device with a velvet chip inside, I think it sounds like mashed potatoes, like something in the music isn't coming through and fulfilling; some of the TI and Sabre devices I've heard sound better suited for musical enjoyment. This ES100, while it sounds impressive, it's like it doesn't give a damn about what you listen to, it just does some crazy stuff with source to produce this peculiar instrument separation.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #5,988 of 6,675
This device has weird issues, I turn off bluetooth on my phone while connected via usb to my computer, then disconnect the usb cable from the ES100, and the device just bricks with a solid green light, frozen and couldn't reconnect to bluetooth on my phone until I plugged it back into my computer.

The only reason I did that was because it seems like it was stuck at "99% charging" for like a half an hour, which worried me because I couldn't tell if the battery would overcharge and fail, aside from the fact that the app reads the percentage poorly. When it reached its peak, it just flickered between "charging complete" and "charging 99-100%" quite a few times before disconnecting. After plugging the USB cable back in it finally un-bricked itself and charged all the way up to 100% stably before flickering between "charging" and "charging complete" a few more times; this issue didn't happen yesterday when charging for the first time. Another issue is that the buttons aren't always responsive, like I can change the volume using the rocker button once, but a second click doesn't always register, idk if it's just the cheapy buttons or the software lagging, and the arrow buttons that control forward and back are loose and rattly, they don't click, or aren't very tactile unless they are pressed at an angle toward the edge of the device, same goes for the power/pause button at times.

Latest firmware 2.0.2.

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #5,989 of 6,675
The ES100 is seriously the best $100 I've spent on audio. This thing is just awesome and so versatile. I use it with IEM's and full size over ear headphones. It even works well enough for the hard to drive AKG Q701 for moderate volumes. For the last few months I've been using it velcroed to an AKG K371 with a cable only a couple of inches long. My favorite use lately is with the Blon BL03 IEM's, and the ES100 clipped to my shirt. I have a short cable on its way, but even still this works pretty well with the long cable coiled up. For me the BL03 sound great, but need a small but wide cut in the mid-bass, but of course the ES100's built in EQ can handle that.

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #5,991 of 6,675
The ES100 is seriously the best $100 I've spent on audio. This thing is just awesome and so versatile. I use it with IEM's and full size over ear headphones.

Totally agree. It’s the best money I’ve spent in this hobby as well.

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #5,992 of 6,675
The ES100 is seriously the best $100 I've spent on audio. This thing is just awesome and so versatile. I use it with IEM's and full size over ear headphones. It even works well enough for the hard to drive AKG Q701 for moderate volumes. For the last few months I've been using it velcroed to an AKG K371 with a cable only a couple of inches long. My favorite use lately is with the Blon BL03 IEM's, and the ES100 clipped to my shirt. I have a short cable on its way, but even still this works pretty well with the long cable coiled up. For me the BL03 sound great, but need a small but wide cut in the mid-bass, but of course the ES100's built in EQ can handle that.
Ditto man. Listening with RY4S now and it is crazy awesome.

Feb 12, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #5,993 of 6,675
Finally using the ES100 as it was really intended.

IMG_20200212_132739__01.jpg

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #5,994 of 6,675
Finally using the ES100 as it was really intended.

IMG_20200212_132739__01.jpg
I'm totally diggin how you are wearing it clipped to your cable. That's how I wear mine also.
20191209_180613.jpg

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #5,995 of 6,675
I'm totally diggin how you are wearing it clipped to your cable. That's how I wear mine also.20191209_180613.jpg
It's clipped to my shirt and the cable. This is just so the extra couple inches isn't just hanging.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #5,996 of 6,675
Totally agree. It’s the best money I’ve spent in this hobby as well.
To me it just reminds me the SSD in computers, this thing is such a revolution (in both hardware well thinked/made, and software).
Bluetooth powah! :)

Feb 15, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #5,999 of 6,675
Hi, can i use ES100 as a desktop DAC? i have a 2Stepdance amp, so can i connect the ES100 to the amp from 3.5mm as a line out?
The ES100 can work as a USB DAC+preamp when connected to another amp. The headphone amp in the ES100 is very good and you should also try your headphones directly on the ES100.

Feb 15, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #6,000 of 6,675
This is not actually ES100 problem, or at least I think so, but.. it's close:

I recently installed Radsone Hi-Res Player to my android phone, and ran into problem I haven't been able to solve.

16bit / 44100Hz FLAC files play perfectly, but that's only bit/Hz combination that does so. I get loud static/hiss/noise in left channel when playing any 24bit FLAC, and some 24bit FLACs seem to play at differing speeds. The noise in the left channel is so loud it's quite hard trying to listen to at what speed the song is playing :)

These same files, when played with Foobar2000 from my PC, are perfectly OK.

Both, phone and PC, are connected to ES100 via BT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back