Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 4, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #5,896 of 6,675
I’m using the AKG K240s. The reason I use a amplifier is that I am hearing impaired. Between the es100 eq, and the amp I can finally enjoy music again!

The es100 is plenty powerful for my zs10pro with a balanced cable. Those sound fantastical!

It is almost enough to run my SHP9500 without the amp, but I max out the volume.

I understand, just a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and you should be ready to rock.

Jan 4, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #5,897 of 6,675
One tip is that many usb thumb drives (especially earlier ones that were long sticks the size of a pack of stick gum) came with a little lanyard that was designed for the exact same type of lanyard hole.

They were quite strong, with a strong (yet small) string and a metal ring. You’d slide the string through, make a loop, and thread the string back through the hole of the loop. Then on the little metal ring you could attach a larger clip for a belt or keychain.

You can buy them all over by searching for the term “USB lanyard”. They cost like $0.10 from Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress, etc. They have long ones, short ones, detachable ones, ones with clips, keychain ones, wrist ones, neck ones, any color imaginable.

They’d work perfect for the ES100.

Yes, exactly! I really think @radsone should include one of these in the package with the es100. They could put Radsone or EarStudio branding on it and it would cost them next to nothing to do so, and make the es100 even more convenient to use.

EDIT: I also think @radsone should put a better microphone in the next version of the es100 - I was listening to music at the airport and had the ambient sound on so that I could hear the boarding announcement for my flight. I did hear the boarding announcement and the conversations around me, but it all sounded very distorted and artificial. Does anyone know what microphone the es100 uses? The Shanling UP2 advertises that it uses a Knowles SiSonic microphone.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #5,898 of 6,675
Yes, exactly! I really think @radsone should include one of these in the package with the es100. They could put Radsone or EarStudio branding on it and it would cost them next to nothing to do so, and make the es100 even more convenient to use.

EDIT: I also think @radsone should put a better microphone in the next version of the es100 - I was listening to music at the airport and had the ambient sound on so that I could hear the boarding announcement for my flight. I did hear the boarding announcement and the conversations around me, but it all sounded very distorted and artificial. Does anyone know what microphone the es100 uses? The Shanling UP2 advertises that it uses a Knowles SiSonic microphone.

Yeah, I played with the ambient feature once as well. Because of the placement and sensitivity of the mic, it seems to be more of a novelty than a serious/useful feature. Which is sad, because I really like the idea and would actually use the feature if it were more mature.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #5,902 of 6,675
Latency...

Okay, so I didn't notice this at all when watching Amazon Prime Video on my Roku TV and using the ES100 as a Bluetooth source from Roku "Private Listening" running in the Roku app on my phone, but latency is very noticeable when watching Hulu. Is there any solution to the latency problem when using the ES100 over bluetooth to watch streaming video? I see that there was some talk early on about adding a buffer option to deal with latency because @radsone was unable to license AptX LL for this device due to the requirements of their contract with Qualcomm. Has there been any developments in dealing with latency? @radsone, can you comment on this?

Okay, you may be confused about what I am trying to do: I have a program streaming on my TCL Roku TV. I am trying to use the "Private Listening" feature in the Roku app on my Android phone to listen to the audio on earphones so that I do not disturb my girlfriend, who is sleeping. I cannot use my headphones in a wired connection to my phone, because, for some reason, this causes the Roku app to lose connection with the TV every several seconds, and then the audio comes back on the TV speakers - requiring me to pause the program and reconnect the app to the TV. The connection between the app and the TV is over WiFi, by the way. For some reason, this problem doesn't occur if I am streaming the audio from my phone to a bluetooth device, so I have been using the ES100 to listen to the audio. It seemed fine when watching streaming or downloaded programs on Amazon Prime Video, but latency is very noticeable when watching streaming video on Hulu. Can anyone help me figure this out?

EDIT: I plan to try using the ES100 in a wired connection to my phone, and I have a USB type C to micro B cable on the way to facilitate this, but I have my doubts about this working, since the wired connection to my phone seems to have something to do with the Roku app constantly losing the connection.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #5,903 of 6,675
I cannot use my headphones in a wired connection to my phone, because, for some reason, this causes the Roku app to lose connection with the TV every several seconds
This is the real problem you need to solve. I searched on Google and saw this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/6z74on/roku_app_for_private_listening_keeps/?sort=old
Open Settings > Apps > Roku > Battery. Make sure "Allow background activity" is turned on. Select "Optimize battery usage" and turn it off for Roku (you may need to open the pulldown menu and select "All" to see it. Then try the wired connection again.
Android might be treating the app status differently when it has an active Bluetooth connection.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #5,904 of 6,675
This is the real problem you need to solve. I searched on Google and saw this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/6z74on/roku_app_for_private_listening_keeps/?sort=old
Open Settings > Apps > Roku > Battery. Make sure "Allow background activity" is turned on. Select "Optimize battery usage" and turn it off for Roku (you may need to open the pulldown menu and select "All" to see it. Then try the wired connection again.
Android might be treating the app status differently when it has an active Bluetooth connection.

Thank you so much! I have tried tweaking a few things to prevent the disconnection, but I don't think I ran across this post on Reddit. I think I had set something like "do not let Stamina Mode stop app to save power", but the other settings you have mentioned may be (probably are) different. If I can use the ES100 in a wired connection to my phone, that would solve 85% of my problem (my phone is not powerful enough on it's own to drive many of my IEMs to my satisfaction). I still think @radsone should look into addressing the latency issue, because it would still be a lot more convenient to listen to streaming video with the ES100 clipped to me, and not tethered to my phone.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #5,905 of 6,675
Do I need to turn off Bluetooth on my phone before connecting es100 to computer?
if ES100 is already connected via USB to computer, then you just have to stop your music from your phone/computer et play it from the other side, it should work properly
For exemple, wired via USB to my computer and if I want to listen a bit from my phone, I just stop playing from computer and then play some music via my phone, ES100 automatically recognize where the signal goes out and takes relay.
But if you want to unplug from USB, you will be obliged to reboot your ES100.

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #5,909 of 6,675
In fact, the great thing about using the ES100 with USB is that you can play audio from the computer while simultaneously controlling the EQ and other settings of the ES100 from your phone!

That is cool. But for some reason, it stops playback on the computer whenever I pick up and unlock my phone. It reverts back to Bluetooth on the phone. iPhone XR. If I turn the Bluetooth off, start playing on the computer, then turn the Bluetooth back on, it doesn’t do it anymore. Weird?

Jan 14, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #5,910 of 6,675
That is cool. But for some reason, it stops playback on the computer whenever I pick up and unlock my phone. It reverts back to Bluetooth on the phone. iPhone XR. If I turn the Bluetooth off, start playing on the computer, then turn the Bluetooth back on, it doesn’t do it anymore. Weird?

That is weird! (I have the same phone, btw)

Do you have multipoint pairing turned off in settings or anything like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back