Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 27, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #5,881 of 6,675
Wow, some people in this thread are getting way too worked up over nothing! Yes, the rebooting behavior when the ES100 is connected to or removed from a charger is a design flaw and is annoying. Yes, it also has many redeeming and even unique features that more than make up for it, but that doesn't mean that it's not still annoying, and it doesn't mean that @radsone shouldn't fix it in the firmware or in the next version of the device if they can.

This is the cable I ordered for AKG K712 PROs. Maroon / Black Rean / 20 cm / 3.5 mm gold Rean jack.

They used to list "Original Sennheiser 598 cable modded to balanced and cut to desired length" item / option in their list, but since there is a "national stortage" of those cables at the moment, it is missing from their webpage. I asked for one (via email), and it took them 3 days to find and buy one from unofficial source.. I ended up paying 36 GBP for it (including all the work and new TRRS source connector).

They'll make any length cable you need, at least as short as you need, but since they do not list every possible length in webstore, just gather all the info / options you need and send them email. Once everything is clear they'll send you a PayPal link, you pay and wait for the goodies (seriously, I got a biscuit with my cables :D) to arrive.

EDIT: About the cable quality. I was told that Pellucid Plus cable is better, but "for such a short cable I don't think there would be a noticeable audio difference, especially with the signal being partly wireless", so I actually got recommendation, from OIDIO, to order the cheaper Pellucid cable. They didn't suggest Mongrel for such a short cable either.

Many thanks or this! The cable may be too expensive for me, so I might prefer to have my hand at making one. Someone on the K275 thread mentioned a method for making a cable using a certain A/V spooled cable and a paracord Aleve, but when I asked about a link to detailed tutorial or instructions, they didn't respond. I hope to mod my K275 to make them balanced and add a 4-pin mini XLR (there is a tutorial for doing this online).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #5,882 of 6,675
LOL I would have just returned it and went with the FiiO, save the hassle of soldering
It took less time to fix it than it would have taken to fill out the form, print the label, box it up and take it out to the post office.

As for the ES100 restarting when plugged/unplugged thing, yeah it's annoying and all, but I hardly ever do that while using it. The flimsy clip is a bigger issue to me, and I have that fixed acceptably with a small ziptie and figure when it finally breaks for good I'll dremel the remains of it off and stick a lapel mic clip onto the back with mounting tape. Oh, also, the extra latency added by the device itself is annoying -- even with the Bluetooth latency compensation Android automatically adds, it's still a little out of sync on videos. Still, if these are the biggest gripes I have about an audio device that costs this little and sounds this nice, I consider it a really awesome device.

Still, I'm probably going to buy the Qudelix 5K when it comes out. I want that parametric EQ, and I'm hoping it'll do something to reduce or eliminate its own internal latency or add a low-latency no-postprocessing mode I can select.

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #5,883 of 6,675
What are some universally recommended settings for the app? Like DCT Level, Oversampling rate, etc.

Also, I use this with my iPhone, so as I understand, the best audio streaming is AAC. Then does that mean streaming lossless music on iPhone is worthless and I'd better replace lossless with lossy (good sources, like from iTunes) files with minimally notable differences of audio quality and save much more phone storage? Thanks

Dec 29, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #5,884 of 6,675
What are some universally recommended settings for the app? Like DCT Level, Oversampling rate, etc.

Also, I use this with my iPhone, so as I understand, the best audio streaming is AAC. Then does that mean streaming lossless music on iPhone is worthless and I'd better replace lossless with lossy (good sources, like from iTunes) files with minimally notable differences of audio quality and save much more phone storage? Thanks

It means you should ditch the iPhone for an Android phone so you can benefit from LDAC. All my music is played through Google Play Music which is 320kbps AAC, so I'm not getting the full benefits of LDAC though. I may try Amazon music which offers FLAC. I've tried tidal and quboz and am not a huge fan of either.

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #5,886 of 6,675
Just ordered one of these. I’m coming from a btr3, am I going to be disappointed? The btr3 makes my nx3s play my k240s wonderfully. Hoping the es100 will be just as good.

I have both the BTR3 and the ES100. I would say the ES100 has an airier sound especially balanced. The one thing the BTR3 has which the ES100 does not is the lanyard for wearing round one's neck and that matters. Soundwise though although the BTR3 is fantastic, the Radsone is a little more to my liking. More spacious.

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #5,887 of 6,675
The one thing the BTR3 has which the ES100 does not is the lanyard for wearing round one's neck and that matters.

My ES100 has a hole for a neck lanyard. It's right above the shirt clip.

Jan 2, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #5,889 of 6,675
Exactly where you said it is. My bad. Just now made a simple 2 ply cotton one and will figure to do a stronger one soon. Thanks Slater. Useful.

One tip is that many usb thumb drives (especially earlier ones that were long sticks the size of a pack of stick gum) came with a little lanyard that was designed for the exact same type of lanyard hole.

They were quite strong, with a strong (yet small) string and a metal ring. You’d slide the string through, make a loop, and thread the string back through the hole of the loop. Then on the little metal ring you could attach a larger clip for a belt or keychain.

You can buy them all over by searching for the term “USB lanyard”. They cost like $0.10 from Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress, etc. They have long ones, short ones, detachable ones, ones with clips, keychain ones, wrist ones, neck ones, any color imaginable.

They’d work perfect for the ES100.

C3730F77-FF49-4C24-A03F-D7D1C65820F2.png 064B35D5-8669-4B84-A790-78C29FC0D3B1.png
BC7ADD1D-1C54-497C-BB51-B5D50F5DE156.png

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #5,890 of 6,675
Ij just set up the es100 on my iPad and it works physically but I cannot get the app to find the ES100. It just keeps searching... I’ve turned off both but it just won’t pair to the app. Any advice.?

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #5,893 of 6,675
Just got my es100. Working lovely on 2.5mm balanced with my zs10 pro’s.
Question, do I have to do anything special to hook it up to my nx3s to run my cans? Do I just plug in the 3.5 and go?
TIA.

What headphones are you using? The ES100 is powerful enough for a lot of headphones on its own.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #5,894 of 6,675
Just got my es100. Working lovely on 2.5mm balanced with my zs10 pro’s.
Question, do I have to do anything special to hook it up to my nx3s to run my cans? Do I just plug in the 3.5 and go?
TIA.

What headphones are you using? The ES100 is powerful enough for a lot of headphones on its own.

Works fine with an amp. I usually have mine hooked up to my Ray Samuels SR-71A or ALO CDM.

I have some hard to drive stuff but honestly even with easy-to-drive stuff, I'd kind of rather my setup have a volume knob. ; )

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #5,895 of 6,675

I’m using the AKG K240s. The reason I use a amplifier is that I am hearing impaired. Between the es100 eq, and the amp I can finally enjoy music again!

The es100 is plenty powerful for my zs10pro with a balanced cable. Those sound fantastical!

It is almost enough to run my SHP9500 without the amp, but I max out the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back