Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 17, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #5,806 of 6,675
2.0.2 is the last firmware released in janurary 2019, as specs are the exact same between MK1 and MK2 I don't think there will be any new firmware for a very long time.

Only improvement I could see would be to fix the way the devices handles charging. All the weird reboots and power ups when connecting and disconnecting the charge cable are weird. A PEQ instead of GEQ would be nice too, but I don't see that happening.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #5,807 of 6,675
I do exactly this to a Q701, and a K371.

It would look more compact if I could find and redo this with right angle or 45 degree connectors, but this works. These only get used at home. On the go I just use Galaxy Buds.

Where did you get that short TRS to Mini XLR cable, or did you make it?

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #5,810 of 6,675
Thanks for the photos, friend! To be honest though, I don't think the changes in the Mk2 are radical enough to make me think it's much better than the Mk1. As someone who just bought two of the Mk1 in the past couple weeks, it doesn't look like I'd be gaining much by buying the Mk2. Sound wise, everything is the same with both. And I'm totally loving the sound of all my iems with the Mk1. @Slater said it best a while back...best money I ever spent on a piece of gear. This thing is so versatile, has so many options, and can provide so much control of the sound...it's silly not to have one.

It does provide good options for DAC EQ etc, but the bluetooth range is slightly below "next room" which means you practically need to carry your source with you everywhere, almost defeating the goal of light BT wireless portabililty.

Dec 18, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #5,811 of 6,675
Among all my Bluetooth devices the ES100 is definitely in the top segment when it comes to stability and range....

Dec 18, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #5,812 of 6,675
Among all my Bluetooth devices the ES100 is definitely in the top segment when it comes to stability and range....

Same here

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #5,814 of 6,675
It does provide good options for DAC EQ etc, but the bluetooth range is slightly below "next room" which means you practically need to carry your source with you everywhere, almost defeating the goal of light BT wireless portabililty.
I find the range excellent. Couple of nights ago, I was listening to some of my FLAC files off my phone while doing some stuff outside my place. I left my phone outside on my porch and went inside to use the washroom and then had to go even further away to my bedroom to get something. About 35 feet from my phone outside, through a metal door with 2 walls separating my phone and ES100...and only had a stutter in the connection once.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #5,815 of 6,675
I find the range excellent. Couple of nights ago, I was listening to some of my FLAC files off my phone while doing some stuff outside my place. I left my phone outside on my porch and went inside to use the washroom and then had to go even further away to my bedroom to get something. About 35 feet from my phone outside, through a metal door with 2 walls separating my phone and ES100...and only had a stutter in the connection once.

Yeah, I go all over my house (with my phone in my bedroom or whatever), and have no dropouts as well.

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #5,817 of 6,675
Update: If this damn thing doesn't stop starting/restarting every time it goes on or off a charger I'm gonna smash it with a hammer.
In the app you can choose the functionality... but I think you are limited to (a) start when plugged in, or (b) start when unplugged. BTR5 and W3 don’t suffer from this. It is rather unfortunate, but at least for me not rage inducing... :)

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #5,818 of 6,675

@jasonb Is there a tutorial somewhere for making a cord like yours?

I actually agree with this. I can't have my source in the office and walk into the kitchen to make a sandwich without significant dropouts and stuttering (maybe 30'-40' away). Not ideal, but not a deal-breaker. Yeah, I feel I need to carry my source with me.

Dec 19, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #5,819 of 6,675
Has anybody noticed any issues with using ES100 in the cold? This morning it was -20C here (-4F in freedom units), when I turned on the ES100 it played the connection sound it does when establishing connection with my phone VERY SLOWLY... what is usually a ~1 second tone sequence was probably about 4-5 seconds long. After this it stayed in the phone call codec ("Calling Wide Band 16khz") when I started to play music (and sounded very poor). I warmed it up a bunch in an inside pocket, and after 10 minutes or so restarted it and it went back to normal, locked into LDAC immediately and everything was fine.

This isn't my first winter using the ES100... have never noticed this happening before. Is there a rating on this thing for what temperatures it can handle?

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #5,820 of 6,675
Has anybody noticed any issues with using ES100 in the cold? This morning it was -20C here (-4F in freedom units), when I turned on the ES100 it played the connection sound it does when establishing connection with my phone VERY SLOWLY... what is usually a ~1 second tone sequence was probably about 4-5 seconds long. After this it stayed in the phone call codec ("Calling Wide Band 16khz") when I started to play music (and sounded very poor). I warmed it up a bunch in an inside pocket, and after 10 minutes or so restarted it and it went back to normal, locked into LDAC immediately and everything was fine.

This isn't my first winter using the ES100... have never noticed this happening before. Is there a rating on this thing for what temperatures it can handle?
Stop living in your fridge! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back