Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 19, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #5,821 of 6,675
Update: If this damn thing doesn't stop starting/restarting every time it goes on or off a charger I'm gonna smash it with a hammer.

In the app you can choose the functionality... but I think you are limited to (a) start when plugged in, or (b) start when unplugged. BTR5 and W3 don’t suffer from this. It is rather unfortunate, but at least for me not rage inducing... :)

I can attest that it is rage inducing. :)

Thank gosh the battery lasts a fairy long time, so it doesn’t have to be charged up that often.

I sure hope the Qudelix has “normal” charging. Since it’s the same guy that did the ES100, I’m a little worried that such a ridiculous quirk is gonna carry over.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #5,822 of 6,675
Has anybody noticed any issues with using ES100 in the cold? This morning it was -20C here (-4F in freedom units), when I turned on the ES100 it played the connection sound it does when establishing connection with my phone VERY SLOWLY... what is usually a ~1 second tone sequence was probably about 4-5 seconds long. After this it stayed in the phone call codec ("Calling Wide Band 16khz") when I started to play music (and sounded very poor). I warmed it up a bunch in an inside pocket, and after 10 minutes or so restarted it and it went back to normal, locked into LDAC immediately and everything was fine.

This isn't my first winter using the ES100... have never noticed this happening before. Is there a rating on this thing for what temperatures it can handle?
Did it start from a cold condition? I've used mine in pretty cold conditions, but it was brought from inside and then exposed to 0F conditions.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #5,823 of 6,675
In the app you can choose the functionality... but I think you are limited to (a) start when plugged in, or (b) start when unplugged. BTR5 and W3 don’t suffer from this. It is rather unfortunate, but at least for me not rage inducing... :)

Well it's not about starting and stopping, like I said. I plugged them in while i had my gym buds in my ears (the ES100 was off), and this turned the ES100 on which made it connect to my phone which stopped the music in my ears. I've owned probably several thousand electronic devices over the course of my life but this is deadass the only one where inserting/removing the plug turns it on.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5,824 of 6,675
Does anyone elses battery drop pretty quickly in the beginning and then seem to last for days from around 40% on down?

Seems to go from 100 to halfway down in a matter of 2-3 hours, then seems to last much longer the rest of the way down?

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #5,825 of 6,675
Does anyone elses battery drop pretty quickly in the beginning and then seem to last for days from around 40% on down?

Seems to go from 100 to halfway down in a matter of 2-3 hours, then seems to last much longer the rest of the way down?

Yeah, that's normal with the ES100.

Dec 19, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #5,826 of 6,675
Yeah, that's normal with the ES100.

This was my assumption. Just a poorly calibrated battery meter. The battery life is fine... So whatever.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #5,828 of 6,675
ES100 owner again for the second time around. New use is to drive my HD58x as a portable setup to listen in bedroom. It has just enough power in SE mode so I'm thinking of hacking together a nice short balanced cable. I'm thinking of just ordering a cheapo cable and converting it to balanced with a 2.5mm TRSS connector. This way I can keep it short enough that I can just clip the ES100 onto the headband. Should be $25 or less. Thoughts, suggestions or am I wasting my time and money?

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #5,829 of 6,675
ES100 owner again for the second time around. New use is to drive my HD58x as a portable setup to listen in bedroom. It has just enough power in SE mode so I'm thinking of hacking together a nice short balanced cable. I'm thinking of just ordering a cheapo cable and converting it to balanced with a 2.5mm TRSS connector. This way I can keep it short enough that I can just clip the ES100 onto the headband. Should be $25 or less. Thoughts, suggestions or am I wasting my time and money?
The Jubilees in balanced mode are very good with the ES100. It has enough power to drive them, although I've found they'll pretty much take whatever you can give them. Single ended sounds pretty bad, IMHO -- I don't think the ES100 has enough to drive them. Thankfully, there are a good amount of upgrade balanced cables available. I just got a new one from Ali that's 4.4mm to match my HiBy R5, but I think the one I had previously (2.5) was from Amazon. Not sure about making a short cable, though -- how are you planning on routing the 2nd side of the cable? Over the headband?

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #5,830 of 6,675
The Jubilees in balanced mode are very good with the ES100. It has enough power to drive them, although I've found they'll pretty much take whatever you can give them. Single ended sounds pretty bad, IMHO -- I don't think the ES100 has enough to drive them. Thankfully, there are a good amount of upgrade balanced cables available. I just got a new one from Ali that's 4.4mm to match my HiBy R5, but I think the one I had previously (2.5) was from Amazon. Not sure about making a short cable, though -- how are you planning on routing the 2nd side of the cable? Over the headband?

I found a .5M one on Ali for $15 shipped. I'll give it whirl. Plan is to just have it hang, I don't mind a little cable, just don't want to noose myself if I fell asleep. :zzz::sos:

Dec 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #5,831 of 6,675
I can attest that it is rage inducing. :)

Thank gosh the battery lasts a fairy long time, so it doesn’t have to be charged up that often.

I sure hope the Qudelix has “normal” charging. Since it’s the same guy that did the ES100, I’m a little worried that such a ridiculous quirk is gonna carry over.
My guess is this is a bug masquerading as a feature... Sometimes when the hardware is done it doesn't quite behave as desired... Then either a redesign or redefinition of the feature set is required... Easier to define the actual behavior as a feature :)

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #5,832 of 6,675
This was my assumption. Just a poorly calibrated battery meter. The battery life is fine... So whatever.
Yeah, I haven't had any problems with how long the battery lasts, but like you, I DID notice it went down faster in the top half. It doesn't bother me though and I kinda equate it to the fuel tank in a car or truck. If you fill a vehicle with fuel, it usually doesn't take much driving before the fuel guage moves down. Once the guage gets down to halfway, it seems to take more time to get down to a quarter tank or less. That's because the bottom of the fuel tank is wider than the top, therefore there's more fuel in the bottom half than in the top, which is where the little thingy that bobs at the top of the fuel and gives the readings to the fuel guage on the dashboard is located. I'm not sure if batteries work the same way, but it seems plausible and even my smartphone behaves the same way. It doesn't take long (like a couple hours) for it to drop to about 75% battery, but everything after that takes alot longer to get down to like 20% or less. I ran my ES100 for 5 days (at around 3 hours each time) before I had to recharge. I think the battery life is quite good.

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #5,833 of 6,675
I'm currently experimentating but MK2 looks does not suffer anymore of this kind of issue of battery draining fast at the beginning (where I confirm it is on MK1).
Not sure if something has been done from this side (but kept secret?) into MK2.
Anyway I'm still in my first full cycle from 100% to end, so difficult to make a final judgement, I'll stay you guys tuned

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #5,834 of 6,675
Glad to hear the battery drops a lot slower below 50%. Doing battery life tests for a few hours and linearly calculating how many total hours I'd get I was not happy with the estimated total battery life. I'm glad to know this way of testing is pretty much useless given that battery life drops much more quickly from where I've been testing it near the higher end of being charged. I guess I'll start testing battery life below 50% to at least see the slower battery life drop for myself.

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #5,835 of 6,675
I'm currently experimentating but MK2 looks does not suffer anymore of this kind of issue of battery draining fast at the beginning (where I confirm it is on MK1).
Not sure if something has been done from this side (but kept secret?) into MK2.
Anyway I'm still in my first full cycle from 100% to end, so difficult to make a final judgement, I'll stay you guys tuned

I imagine that’s just the difference between a brand new fresh battery with only a couple of charge cycles (your MK2), and an older battery with numerous charge cycles (MK1).

I have a lot of lithium ion batteries because one of my other hobbies is flashlights, and a fresh battery will always last longer than one with many cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back