Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #4,951 of 6,675
Thanks for the reply. Would you say with your HD800S the difference in loudness between stereo and balanced makes it worth buying balanced cable? Is there much diference or is it marginal?
What would you estimate is the diference in volume? Percentage wise so its simple for my tiny brain to understand....

Tbh I've never tried the two together single ended, balanced only. I can try it of course and let you know my findings but I'm on holiday right now so it would have to wait to the start of next week in that case...

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #4,952 of 6,675
Tbh I've never tried the two together single ended, balanced only. I can try it of course and let you know my findings but I'm on holiday right now so it would have to wait to the start of next week in that case...
Thanks. That would great. When ever it's easy for you. Am away myself so have a few weeks yet before needing decide if to buy the extra $150 balanced cable for HD800S... or not...

Enjoy your holiday.

Jul 11, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #4,953 of 6,675
Anyone able to give a rough idea in percentages as to how much louder the 2.5mm balanced output is compared to the stereo 3.5mm....?

I plan on useing a LG G7 to the ES100 to drive a set of Seinhiser HD800s.... wondering if I need to buy a balanced cable for the HD800s or not?

I don't need crazy loud I just need a full weighty engaging and clear sound.

I've tried this before and I don't recall there being any difference in volume. I might be mistaken, but they may have adjusted the output so the volumes are comparable, just more power available (at a given volume setting, that is).

Jul 11, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #4,954 of 6,675
Anyone able to give a rough idea in percentages as to how much louder the 2.5mm balanced output is compared to the stereo 3.5mm....?

I plan on useing a LG G7 to the ES100 to drive a set of Seinhiser HD800s.... wondering if I need to buy a balanced cable for the HD800s or not?

I don't need crazy loud I just need a full weighty engaging and clear sound.

My balanced cable arrived yesterday and...no difference.
The only difference comes when you run the 2.5mm output in 2 x Voltage mode. At that point you gain and extra 10% - 15% or so in volume (roughly)

Jul 12, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #4,955 of 6,675
So it seems like my ES100 is having some weird sparkly/clicky noise occasionally being triggered by heavier bass but also some highs, like a wrapper being crinkled for a split second (always happens same moments on certain tracks) that I'm sure wasn't there before. I've tried different earphones/headphones as well as changing source (used both phone and laptop) and the sound is still there.

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so was it just a simple firmware update to fix or a hardware thing where I'm stuck trying to get a return or just writing the thing off?

I've only had the ES100 since February 2019 and issues started mid June, so it's alarming if it's useless already, I get that it is quite cheap for what it offers and probably not as built to last but a few months is a bit of a joke. Had moved to ES100 & bluetooth since my old fiio e18 got some problem with the highs after so much use and I figure I'd try some alternatives since I was waiting for newer fiio offerings (tempted to just go looking for another e18 now)

edit: Damn warranty is only 30 days it seems, glad I didn't really invest much here.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #4,956 of 6,675
So it seems like my ES100 is having some weird sparkly/clicky noise occasionally being triggered by heavier bass but also some highs, like a wrapper being crinkled for a split second (always happens same moments on certain tracks) that I'm sure wasn't there before. I've tried different earphones/headphones as well as changing source (used both phone and laptop) and the sound is still there.

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so was it just a simple firmware update to fix or a hardware thing where I'm stuck trying to get a return or just writing the thing off?

I've only had the ES100 since February 2019 and issues started mid June, so it's alarming if it's useless already, I get that it is quite cheap for what it offers and probably not as built to last but a few months is a bit of a joke. Had moved to ES100 & bluetooth since my old fiio e18 got some problem with the highs after so much use and I figure I'd try some alternatives since I was waiting for newer fiio offerings (tempted to just go looking for another e18 now)

edit: Damn warranty is only 30 days it seems, glad I didn't really invest much here.
Try contact Radsone directly?
Mine is still working flawlessly after 1 year :)

Jul 12, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #4,958 of 6,675
My balanced cable arrived yesterday and...no difference.
The only difference comes when you run the 2.5mm output in 2 x Voltage mode. At that point you gain and extra 10% - 15% or so in volume (roughly)
If useing a 2.5mm balanced male to 3.5mm stereo adapter and the ES100 output in 2 x Voltage mode to HD800S headphones will we still gain a 10% volume over using the ES100 3.5mm socket directly? Or does the balanced cable need to run all the way from ES100 to the headphone ears?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FF2R13Z/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A282CIVY4X0P53&psc=1

Baoblaze 2.5mm Plugs Balanced Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female Audios Connection Adapter Cable

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #4,959 of 6,675
If useing a 2.5mm balanced male to 3.5mm stereo adapter and the ES100 output in 2 x Voltage mode to HD800S headphones will we still gain a 10% volume over using the ES100 3.5mm socket directly? Or does the balanced cable need to run all the way from ES100 to the headphone ears?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FF2R13Z/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A282CIVY4X0P53&psc=1

Baoblaze 2.5mm Plugs Balanced Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female Audios Connection Adapter Cable
You can't go single to balanced. Plug will do nothing. 2.5 male end to dual 3.5 cables are cheap and will be the only thing to work.

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #4,960 of 6,675
Sorry I'm still unsure.
My line up would be:
ES100 2.5 ballanced output in 2 x voltage mode.
2.5mm balanced male to 3.5mm stereo female adapter.
3.5mm stereo male cable to HD800s

So it is Balanced to Stereo... not the other way round.
2 questions:
1 - Will this work?
2 - Will it still give the 10% increase in volume that balanced output in 2 x voltage mode can with a dedicated 2.5mm balanced cable?

Thanks.

Dedicated custom 2.5mm balanced cable cost $150
2.5mm Balanced to 3.5mm Stereo adapter cost $10

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #4,961 of 6,675
Sorry I'm still unsure.
My line up would be:
ES100 2.5 ballanced output in 2 x voltage mode.
2.5mm balanced male to 3.5mm stereo female adapter.
3.5mm stereo male cable to HD800s

So it is Balanced to Stereo... not the other way round.
2 questions:
1 - Will this work?
2 - Will it still give the 10% increase in volume that balanced output in 2 x voltage mode can with a dedicated 2.5mm balanced cable?

Thanks.

Dedicated custom 2.5mm balanced cable cost $150
2.5mm Balanced to 3.5mm Stereo adapter cost $10
Your stock cable terminates to 3.5 single ended, they sell those worthless adapters that do not actually run balanced and can damage equipment. Trust me, you can find a cable that works, look up the Meze 99 Classics balanced cable, it's $50 US (49.00€).

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #4,963 of 6,675
It will work but I don't think you'll get the extra power. Don't the HD800S come with a balanced cable?

It will SHORT CIRCUIT the ES100's balanced output.

@Matty Allen - Never plug a singled-ended headphone to the balanced output of any source using some trash adapter. If you want to use balanced output, you need to make sure the whole headphone is wired in balanced configuration. There is NO magic adopter that magically turn a single-ended headphone into balanced. All that thing does is short circuiting the ES100 - at best it increases the noise a bit or makes it sounds a little funny, at worst something inside ES100 can get burnt.

You can only turn a balanced wired headphone into single-ended using adapter, but not the other way around.

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #4,965 of 6,675
Isn't that (balanced to single ended) what he's asking about or did I completely misunderstood??

Edit: I use 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm single ended adapters all the time to avoid shifting cables. Have never had any issues whatsoever.

Balanced headphone to singled-ended source using an adapter is fine. Single-ended headphone to balanced source with an adapter is NOT - that's what @Matty Allen is asking for.

Whether the latter will cause permanent damage depends on whethe the balanced output stage has short circuit protection or not. If not, then the chance of something get burnt will increase even if no ill effect is detected at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back