Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 6, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #4,576 of 6,675
It's not that scary, remember this is a test of digital signal -> codec -> digital signal, so the only problem is if they're decoding it with some SoC that also applies DSP functions or effects, and I don't think they were quite as stupid as to include that kind of stuff in the analysis. :)
There's one comment reply that sort of addresses this, but no specific equipment is named: "We had a little help from friends in the industry, but no, we use certified devices to perform our tests—no tech cannibalism necessary."

Any time any analysis without clearly listing testing condition and equipments is scary to me - it reduces credibility even if the test has been conducted perfectly.

A few years ago a newcomer DAC/amp brand made big splash among HFer community when they published hugely superior data over the competitions, using Audio Precision (AP) audio analyzer no less, but otherwise no real testing condition was mentioned - AP is generally regarded as THE gold standard of testing thus the result must be very creditable, right? Wrong. At least two of the competitors were baffled by how poorly their DAC/amp performed in those published test and they each conducted their own independent tests and finally arrived to the conclusion that their DAC/amp were tested in poor condition (for example, one competition were only able to reproduce the poor result when its battery powered DAC/amp has less than 5% of battery left, just barely able to power on). At the end, no real apology was issud by the newcomer and the whole incident was purposefully fainted out from public eyes. Now I am not implying there are foul play in the LDAC testing, but the basic principal of any scientific testing is repeatablity, otherwise any conclusion that draws from such testing can be merely luck, if not miracle. In order to be able to retest any claim, knowing the test equipment and condition is a must. If not, no third party will be able to repeat what they have tested on the LDAC, nor able to reach the same conclusion they have. Again, I am not saying their conclusion has problem, just how they chose to deliver it that is problematic.

May 6, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #4,577 of 6,675
In order to be able to retest any claim, knowing the test equipment and condition is a must. If not, no third party will be able to repeat what they have tested on the LDAC, nor able to reach the same conclusion they have. Again, I am not saying their conclusion has problem, just how they chose to deliver it that is problematic.
Agreed. It's just the best data I've seen so far, beyond Sony's own marketing materials and various users in forums and comment sections going "ehrmagehrd it sounds so much guutttt" without even bothering to understand or tweak the codec's settings, let alone do any blind comparisons. :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4,578 of 6,675
Today i played with the pre sets before there was a noticable change. The presets where 31.5 +4db and so there where big changes in db now the presets changed and are relative flat why ?
Screenshot_20190506-135756_EarStudio.jpg

This is the hip hop preset it was different bigger db+ - then now

May 9, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #4,581 of 6,675
Between es100 and btr1k, which one should I choose? Where I live the es100 is 4 times the price of the btr1k. How is the sound of both?

ES100's performance is more on the level of BTR3, rather than BTR1K, hence the price difference.

May 9, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #4,583 of 6,675
Today i played with the pre sets before there was a noticable change. The presets where 31.5 +4db and so there where big changes in db now the presets changed and are relative flat why ?
This is the hip hop preset it was different bigger db+ - then now

If you edit any of the presets it will be your custom preset and you need to save it by press n hold one of one the 4 pre buttons to save your settings else it will revert to the original preset

May 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #4,584 of 6,675
Just curious, has anyone compared the balanced output of this to other balanced amps/daps? Thanks
I think the ES100 compares quite favorably to the HiBy R3's balanced output in terms of SQ and power. I have a few other balanced items, but I haven't used them lately enough to remember. I run as many of my IEMs and headphones with balanced cables that I can, and the ES100 has handled all of them extremely well. For its size and price, the ES100 is an amazing piece of equipment.

The only pairing I've found that I don't care for is my AKGs (which I have to run single-ended because of the way they're wired). For those, the ES100 produces acceptable performance, but they need more power to really shine. I do wonder if balanced might change that, but I'm not interested in paying to have them rewired so I run them off more powerful gear.

May 9, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #4,585 of 6,675
I think the ES100 compares quite favorably to the HiBy R3's balanced output in terms of SQ and power. I have a few other balanced items, but I haven't used them lately enough to remember. I run as many of my IEMs and headphones with balanced cables that I can, and the ES100 has handled all of them extremely well. For its size and price, the ES100 is an amazing piece of equipment.

The only pairing I've found that I don't care for is my AKGs (which I have to run single-ended because of the way they're wired). For those, the ES100 produces acceptable performance, but they need more power to really shine. I do wonder if balanced might change that, but I'm not interested in paying to have them rewired so I run them off more powerful gear.

Ah i see. Thanks for your input. I also just came across a post almost a year ago in this thread by someone who compared it with his DP-X1 who said it compared considerably as well. The e100 was my first dip into balanced so I'm curious how it compares to other balanced sources but i guess now it's settled.

Hmm i guess you could rewire the akgs into balanced and try it out? It's cheaper to rewire than to buy another source anyways. Plus the es100 has 2x voltage option for balanced. I didn't try it though as i have no inefficient gear and i never exceed half volume with this bt amp. Heard it powers sennheisers and planars pretty well

May 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #4,586 of 6,675
Ah i see. Thanks for your input. I also just came across a post almost a year ago in this thread by someone who compared it with his DP-X1 who said it compared considerably as well. The e100 was my first dip into balanced so I'm curious how it compares to other balanced sources but i guess now it's settled.

Hmm i guess you could rewire the akgs into balanced and try it out? It's cheaper to rewire than to buy another source anyways. Plus the es100 has 2x voltage option for balanced. I didn't try it though as i have no inefficient gear and i never exceed half volume with this bt amp. Heard it powers sennheisers and planars pretty well
It does power my Sennheiser Jubilees quite well. I listen to them the most, but the AKGs sing when I hook them up to the Burson PlayMate.

May 9, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #4,587 of 6,675
Just curious, has anyone compared the balanced output of this to other balanced amps/daps? Thanks
I pretty much only run balanced aside for my desktop. Balanced depends on the IEM and the user, not really the device circuitry itself in my findings. Using my ZX300 in 4.4 balanced as LDAC receiver and the ES100, of course in LDAC, they both sound great.

May 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #4,588 of 6,675
May 9, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #4,589 of 6,675

It does not power the HE560, T50RP or HD800S particularly well imo. The HE560 and HD800S are listenable but far from their best, the T50RP doesn't get enough power from it to even reach normal listening levels. The HD58X and HD700 does sound great with it though but the Sennheisers are so different in sound and power needs (as are planars) so I don't really understand how your statement should be understood. Do you think all planars and all Sennheisers sound the same and need the same amount of power?

May 9, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #4,590 of 6,675
It does not power the HE560, T50RP or HD800S particularly well imo. The HE560 and HD800S are listenable but far from their best, the T50RP doesn't get enough power from it to even reach normal listening levels. The HD58X and HD700 does sound great with it though but the Sennheisers are so different in sound and power needs (as are planars) so I don't really understand how your statement should be understood. Do you think all planars and all Sennheisers sound the same and need the same amount of power?
My DT770 250ohm does not get enough power too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back