Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 6, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #3,722 of 6,675
Did you turn on the 2X preamp mode?

Thanks for your reply. Yah I did, It only starts sounding loud enough when its in "overdrive" mode, but even then its not as loud as being fed by my Fostex HPA8 (DAC / Headphone Amp). I understand that the ES100 is just a tiny portable unit. I was just hoping it was going to be all I needed to feed high quality bluetooth signal to my Yamaha amp.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #3,724 of 6,675
IMG_20190106_221110_628.jpg

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #3,726 of 6,675
I just received my unit today. Could someone help me to change the codec?
It automatically uses aptX. I am on Android 6.0.1 and have Bluetooth 4.1... I should at least be able to change to AAC?
Assuming that your phone (what is it?) does support AAC...
Install the Radsone EarStudio app. Run it and connect to the ES100. On the home screen, tap on the Input (left of the battery indicator). Scroll down to the Bluetooth Codec Option section. Disable aptX and leave AAC enabled, and tap the Apply button.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #3,727 of 6,675
Assuming that your phone (what is it?) does support AAC...
Install the Radsone EarStudio app. Run it and connect to the ES100. On the home screen, tap on the Input (left of the battery indicator). Scroll down to the Bluetooth Codec Option section. Disable aptX and leave AAC enabled, and tap the Apply button.
If I do, then it will use SBC instead...

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #3,730 of 6,675
Samsung Galaxy Note 4.
Hmm weird...on Samsung's website it lists the Note 4 as having the following audio codecs: MP3, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB/WB, Vorbis, FLAC(*)
(*) Ultra High Quality Audio (~192KHz, 24 bit) support

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #3,733 of 6,675
Why do you want to switch to AAC? AptX technically can provide a better bit rate
I think everyone would appreciate, if we didn't go down this road again. Sufficient to say, if it's possible then I want, if not, then that's ok to... One day, I might not need replaceable batteries, and switch to a newer phone. But until that day, I will stick with my old one.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #3,734 of 6,675
Hmm weird...on Samsung's website it lists the Note 4 as having the following audio codecs: MP3, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB/WB, Vorbis, FLAC(*)
(*) Ultra High Quality Audio (~192KHz, 24 bit) support
I don't know if that's applicable to Bluetooth, but I do believe that it was supported in their own music player, that was installed on the phone.

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #3,735 of 6,675
The codecs they list are likely what the phone's music player can decode. For instance, I can't think of an instance of FLAC over BT.
As for aptX vs. AAC, it's true that it has a higher transfer rate cap than AAC (352 Kb/s vs. 250 Kb/s), and takes less processing/battery power to decode. However, AAC has some perceptual coding algorithms up its sleeve, so bit rate doesn't make for an apples-to-apples comparison.
AAC is likely the best option on an iPhone, as tests on hydrogenaud.io have verified AAC's superior re-encoding quality. As for older Android, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back