Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 4, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #3,706 of 6,675
What I meant was (and this is a question) - can the poster with an iphone listen to 96k 24bit files with an ES100 in this way:

iPhone with a hi res file player app
Lightning to Camera connection kit cable to micro usb
In to ES100 micro usb input
ES100 headphone jack - out to wired headphones.

(The rubber band comment was that people using hi res converters with their Iphones attach them with rubber bands, to keep the ePhone and converter together as one "block")

@Double C Recommended doing that at the top of the page. So Yes that will work.
- OP wanted to use LDAC and APTXHD. But those are Bluetooth codecs, and are not used when hard wired. Hard wired is the best sound.
- If using Bluetooth, AAC is pretty darn good with the Es100. LDAC is not currently possible with an apple phone (that I know of).
- LDAC might be a bit better than AAC, and certainly is the preferred wireless when using an Andriod Phone that had LDAC sending capability. (Many Android phones with version 8.0+ have LDAC capability). Though if your phone can send AAC through bluetooth, yu may find less drop outs and better range with AAC.

Think I got all of the above condensed.. (Except for rubber bands !)

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #3,708 of 6,675
What I meant was (and this is a question) - can the poster with an iphone listen to 96k 24bit files with an ES100 in this way:

iPhone with a hi res file player app
Lightning to Camera connection kit cable to micro usb
In to ES100 micro usb input
ES100 headphone jack - out to wired headphones.

(Edit)

I found this

"USB DAC limited to 16bit 48khz. No 24 bit 96khz over USB"

Is that still true? If so that's a bummer for iPhone guy.

(The rubber band comment was that people using hi res converters with their Iphones attach them with rubber bands, to keep the ePhone and converter together as one "block")

iPhone guy here. OP. : ) Yes, a bummer. But, maybe not. I'm simply trying to improve on the sound quality of AAC to take advantage of MQA and CD quality on Tidal as much as possible. I recognize I can't get the full distance. If I can sort out the connections and cables, which I'll try tonight, then what codec is streaming from the iPhone to the headphones if it can't be LDAC or AptX HD, given they're bluetooth codecs? Doesn't the ES100 have to transcode to something it can decode on board the ES100? Might I get stuck in a loop coming right back to AAC? That would make the whole effort pointless. I just assumed that it would function identically to using it as a usb DAC from a laptop. This is where we need @wslee. : )

By the way, guys, this is all in an attempt to avoid rubber bands as two big devices to carry around are not in the cards. : ) Thanks for everyone's help. It's a more interesting puzzle than I thought.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #3,709 of 6,675
iPhone guy here. OP. : ) Yes, a bummer. But, maybe not. I'm simply trying to improve on the sound quality of AAC to take advantage of MQA and CD quality on Tidal as much as possible. I recognize I can't get the full distance. If I can sort out the connections and cables, which I'll try tonight, then what codec is streaming from the iPhone to the headphones if it can't be LDAC or AptX HD, given they're bluetooth codecs? Doesn't the ES100 have to transcode to something it can decode on board the ES100? Might I get stuck in a loop coming right back to AAC? That would make the whole effort pointless. I just assumed that it would function identically to using it as a usb DAC from a laptop. This is where we need @wslee. : )

By the way, guys, this is all in an attempt to avoid rubber bands as two big devices to carry around are not in the cards. : ) Thanks for everyone's help. It's a more interesting puzzle than I thought.
Wired iPhone to ES100, you can get full resolution up to 24/44.1. Wireless/bluetooth from iPhone to ES100. AAC 256 is the best (AFAIK).
(FYI Android devices may limit ES100 to 16/44 in Wired/DAC Mode !)
CORRECTED

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #3,712 of 6,675
Correction. With "MAC OS" ES100 can operate as 24/44.1 when direct wired as a DAC. (Assume that iPhone can do this ? Or is IOS different than MAC OS ?)

Android is limited to using ES100 as USB DAC @ 16/44.1

Can't find exact DAC specifications for the ES100 on the Radsone Website, The 24 bit operation with MAC OS came with a firmeware update. Android still being 16Bit. 16/48 16/44 Same firmware says supports 44.1khz..

The DAC chip itself is capable of decoding up to 24/96. but the ES100 is not be able to implement that because of power usage, or other reasons.

16/44,1 is normal CD bit rates. (For anyone that remembers CD's. LOL)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #3,713 of 6,675
If I can accomplish that, that’s pretty amazing and certainly a “feature” that Radsone and others could be selling to us iOS folk with an accompanying overpriced cable. :)

Nope looks like you can't get the 24bit 96k

Now it depends if you want

1) an ES100 hanging off your phone with several inter connected cables (rubber bands anyone?)

2) just to feed the ES100 AAC to use its great amp and eq and join the line of us skeletons waiting for Apple to do anything good with HiRes

3) or have a device like a FiiO M9 that can store & run your qobuz in another pocket can transmit "close to" full 96k 24 bit audio via LDAC bluetooth tooth or wired via ballanced or un ballanced cables.

I have an iPhone and do option 3

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #3,715 of 6,675
The presets getting buried is not a great solution to clean up the main EQ screen.
1. This causes extra clicks to get to the presets, which is where many users want to go first with EQ
2. You cannot see the impact of the preset changes any longer on the fly without toggling between screens, going back and forth, back and forth.

@wslee, this is an amazing app with tonnes of functionality, so it's not a complaint. Radsone has developed an amazing product, listens to its users and constantly improves the product (Bluetooth 5.0, LDAC, etc). It's simply intended to be constructive criticism.
The ability to control Q Factor on the EQ is nice, though it would be great to be able to vary it per slider - I use higher Q when I get to the higher frequencies. I do prefer having the presets and sliders on the same page; I'd be ok if the sliders were superimposed over the curve.

What I would really like, though, are MORE custom presets. I never use any of the canned ones, and never have. I'm not for different EQ curves for different music, and I use more than 4 different headphones/earphones. Let me override the canned ones, where I want. Also, could they be backed up in the app, so we don't lose them in updates?
Also not complaining! :beerchug: Happy New Year!

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #3,716 of 6,675
After the update on iOS, whenever I go into the app while music is playing, the music now stops. Can anyone else preproduce this?

I was in the app while music was playing to change EQ on the fly to see how it would impact music. It was very handy when tweaking EQ.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #3,717 of 6,675
After the update on iOS, whenever I go into the app while music is playing, the music now stops. Can anyone else preproduce this?

I was in the app while music was playing to change EQ on the fly to see how it would impact music. It was very handy when tweaking EQ.
Did you update to the new-new version? The one released a few days ago had a volume issue, I experienced it with the volume jumping up and down at random. The new one from today seems to have fixed that.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #3,718 of 6,675
Did you update to the new-new version? The one released a few days ago had a volume issue, I experienced it with the volume jumping up and down at random. The new one from today seems to have fixed that.

I updated it yesterday morning, Friday. Same version as is currently on the site but they don’t show two versions. That would suck if there are two versions floating out there where one has a bug fix and the other doesn’t. That’s pretty poor practice.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #3,719 of 6,675
I updated it yesterday morning, Friday. Same version as is currently on the site but they don’t show two versions. That would suck if there are two versions floating out there where one has a bug fix and the other doesn’t. That’s pretty poor practice.
I meant the app, not the firmware. They released a new iOS app (1.9.1) today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back