Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 18, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #3,541 of 6,675
Thank you! Definitely helps in understanding how and why things are working a bit bitter. I did come across some of that info in the app, but my device is neither android or iOS--the WM1A uses Sony's own concoction for an OS... and when it streams BT, there is no more control of localized volume (what you are describing as source volume, I believe), and instead the volume buttons control the destination BT device. Just unfortunately not with the ES100. So, while I can quickly shuffle through songs on the player, any volume changes I need to dig around and find the tiny buttons on the ES100, often below layers of clothes/lab coats, etc. Just a pain in the butt, and was hoping there was a workaround, lol. :)

Duh, I completely glossed over that part of your post, tho in theory everything said still kinda applies... I can see why it would be a hassle if you're keeping the ES100 under winter clothes (tho for general use a dab of nail polish on one button can help locate them by feel).

The app is a workaround on Android phones but obviously not an option for you, although if you *are* carrying an Android phone in addition to the Sony player I think you could connect it to the ES100 for volume control and setting configuration only but *not* audio (don't pair it as an audio device).

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #3,542 of 6,675
I read that some of you are using the ES100 as USB DAC with the Onkyo HF player app on Android. I can't seem to get it to work. Android (Samsung Galaxy S7) detects the device and asks whether HF player should take control of the device. When i select yes, HF player pops up showing me the "Info" dialog with the detected "EarStudio USB DAC" device and the supported 44,1/48kHz sampling rate. I can start the playback but i don't hear anything. The LED light on the ES100 switches between red and green in that situation.

Audioquest Dragonfly works fine with the same setup an Android. The ES100 also works fine as USB DAC on Windows. Any ideas?

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #3,544 of 6,675
I read that some of you are using the ES100 as USB DAC with the Onkyo HF player app on Android. I can't seem to get it to work. Android (Samsung Galaxy S7) detects the device and asks whether HF player should take control of the device. When i select yes, HF player pops up showing me the "Info" dialog with the detected "EarStudio USB DAC" device and the supported 44,1/48kHz sampling rate. I can start the playback but i don't hear anything. The LED light on the ES100 switches between red and green in that situation.

Audioquest Dragonfly works fine with the same setup an Android. The ES100 also works fine as USB DAC on Windows. Any ideas?
Unfortunately I don't get aound with all of my Android devices either. It works fine as a USB DAC with my Samsung j3, but I get no sound out of my Xperia z3, so unfortunately, it may simply be device dependent, regarding USB DAC functionality

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #3,545 of 6,675
Just got the device a couple of weeks ago, but the battery life seems not as good as some of the claims, I left home with it fully charged, and after about 4 hours of playing time, the battery is already only at 35%, I've updated the firmware and the situation remained. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence or if I got a defective unit. If it is the latter, I've still have time to exchange it.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #3,546 of 6,675

I've tried it with my oneplus 6T, at first it also didn't work, but after I turned on the OTG option in the phone, it now works. Also, check your usb cable, use the stock one if you can, because some cables only does charging and not data.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #3,547 of 6,675
Just got the device a couple of weeks ago, but the battery life seems not as good as some of the claims, I left home with it fully charged, and after about 4 hours of playing time, the battery is already only at 35%, I've updated the firmware and the situation remained. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence or if I got a defective unit. If it is the latter, I've still have time to exchange it.

Give it a couple battery cycles and don't rely too much on the app's percentage display to quantify how much longer it'll last, a lot of us have seen a fair bit of variation between what it says and what it actually does (with battery often lasting much longer than you'd expect precisely < 20%). Might be the only part of the ES100 that seems somewhat buggy even on the latest firmware.

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #3,548 of 6,675
Give it a couple battery cycles and don't rely too much on the app's percentage display to quantify how much longer it'll last, a lot of us have seen a fair bit of variation between what it says and what it actually does (with battery often lasting much longer than you'd expect precisely < 20%). Might be the only part of the ES100 that seems somewhat buggy even on the latest firmware.
Interesting, I guess I will do some more testing to see exactly how long it will last. Thanks

Dec 18, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #3,549 of 6,675
Interesting, I guess I will do some more testing to see exactly how long it will last. Thanks

Also keep in mind options like over sampling or 2x drive mode will drain it faster, tho I wouldn't expect any combo of options to say cut battery life in half from the max suggested by Radsone. I typically get something closer to 10hr, maybe 8 with balanced mode... Using jitter control but not DCT or the over sampling IIRC.

I've been meaning to run a straight up battery test with the different codecs just cause I'm curious how much of an impact each has, hmm.

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #3,550 of 6,675
Yeah pretty much same here with 2x current

Dec 19, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #3,555 of 6,675
Has anybody experienced bluetooth disconnections with the ES100? I have had mine for two weeks running the 2.0.1 firmware, connected to my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus with LDAC enabled on the bluetooth connection. Over the past few days, the ES100 has started dropping the bluetooth connection after a few minutes and then, sometimes but not always, re-established it about a minute later.

I have tried unpairing and re-pairing; performing a factory reset and re-installing the 2.0.1 firmware. I have also tried disabling LDAC. Bit puzzling. I have sent an email to Radsone's support email address but I am wondering if I should just return it to Amazon while I still can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back