Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 11, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #2,641 of 6,675
The ES100 doesn't get it the way if that's what you're asking, it's hard to compare it to DAPs that cost hundreds more but it's pretty close unbelievably and an audiophile portable bargain to be sure.

Ok, then if you don't feel it sounds veiled vs. other wired DACs, then that is yet another vote for the ES100! :L3000: lol

Thanks scotvl!

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #2,644 of 6,675
I still prefer the ESS Sabre to any other DAC, no amount of great service from Radsone, small and light, surprisingly powerful, delicate and functionally superior adaptor can change this for me.

One thing I've learned from this entire ES100 thread is that compatibility of components is the thing.

ESS 9018 and higher DACs are by far the most detailed and precise DAC available and since there had been nothing this detailed before it, it has completely changed my perspective on sound and what can be achieved - it's also opened my mind to other possibilities since, because I was so wrong about things before it.

Sometimes, like with my Symphonio Dragon 2+, though, there just isn't enough precision available for the differences in DACs to be noticed and the balanced connection and using 2 independent DAC/Amps provided by the ES100 actually give them a lively veil (that velvet smoothness) that is fun to listen to - it sounds better than trying to achieve precision only by using say the output of my V20, Sabre all the way and not a good match for these portable headphones.

It's the match and purpose that matters, when I'm at home, I want transparency and musicality that so far, only the ESS Sabre chips of 9018 and above can offer, especially with reference class headphones.

Just my opinion.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #2,645 of 6,675
What a question. I'd go Da3, ES100 (for variability and different DAC implementation and amp staging), Da2. Da2 is is like Da3 light, so same sig but not as good. For the record, I'm a warm presentation fan. LDAC does not equal wired hi-res, but it's the best bluetooBl implwmwnimplem and is wholly acceptable as a good enough alternative for non-high end application. 4 filters and 10 band eq is awesome. Regarding your statsmwst of not being able to hear the difference with flac, I also notice you use poweramo, meaning Android SRC is still handling the handover of the audio. My device is pure bit-perfect, so I'm able to here little differences better Because the Android system is not touching the files at all. Just saying. Sabaj DACs are more neutral with sparkle. The DA3 with it's dual Q2C DACs and lack of compression is definitely the winner. USB-C is able to output enough power to power the DA3 without issue, but without bit-perfect playback, the differences aren't as clear. listening to Da3 on my bit-perfect z3 vs my Galaxy s9 was nowhere near the same. With s9 sounded better than from s9 but staging, sparkle, mid presence wasn't nearly as good, wide, as from my Z3. UAPP will do a better job with your locally stored files

Ok. Then I guess it's Da3 and ES100 for me to try out!! lol

Well when you say LDAC doesn't equal wired Hi-Res, do you mean that in terms of "numbers" or in actual AUDIBLE differences you yourself have noticed?? lol

Yeah I've been through this with others here on Head-Fi. I don't know why ppl still say that, but the fact is, the Quad DAC is FULLY enabled when I'm using Poweramp. So I don't understand why ppl still think the Snapdragon chip is at play here? The Quad DAC, when enabled, handles all audio playback duties itself. That is the whole point of having it. On other phones I WOULD agree with you, but not in this case. (You can actually enable/disable the Quad DAC setup in Settings, and it only shows up when you plug in via the headphone jack.)

I compared Poweramp with UAPP using nearly equal EQ settings, and I COULD NOT hear a difference, and I really tried too. And yes, I have great hearing. lol I've seen the stats, talked to ppl on here who know way more about audio than I ever will, and have done my own blind ABX tests. So I purposely downsample all my Hi-Res files to AAC for that very reason, and they sound just as great. No differences at all (just as long as it stays above mp3-level). But everyone's entitled to their own opinion. lol

Yeah the Z3 which I also had I believe had a Dual DAC setup, and was a great sounding phone for its time! From what I found out just earlier today, the Samsung phones are a two-sided coin. The ones in the U.S. are crap for sound b/c they only use the DAC found on the Snapdragon chip, which is integrated, which you and I know is NOT an audio-friendly word. lol Meanwhile, the international ones all use Exynos chips. But the important difference there is those Exynos-based Samsung phones all have either Wolfson or I believe the newer ones use Cirrus DACs and also have stronger amps than the U.S. versions as well. I would LOVE to get an Exynos-based Samsung phone to try it out, but the issue is those phones don't work 100% with the U.S.-based networks, so reception quality would be diminished, which is unacceptable to me. So that's why I don't buy them, and also, that's why I don't get the newer Sony phones either: same reason! They are too cheap to certify VoLTE with T-Mobile here, and so, I get no access to Band 12, which is like one of the strongest bands, if I use their phones. Even though I REALLY LOVE Sony Xperia phones (I owned yeah the Z3 and later X Performance, which was just ok), that is too much to give up. My LG V30 is awesome though so whatever I guess. lol

"With s9 sounded better than from s9"...............come again? lol

Thanks for the info!

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #2,646 of 6,675
I still prefer the ESS Sabre to any other DAC, no amount of great service from Radsone, small and light, surprisingly powerful, delicate and functionally superior adaptor can change this for me.

One thing I've learned from this entire ES100 thread is that compatibility of components is the thing.

ESS 9018 and higher DACs are by far the most detailed and precise DAC available and since there had been nothing this detailed before it, it has completely changed my perspective on sound and what can be achieved - it's also opened my mind to other possibilities since, because I was so wrong about things before it.

Sometimes, like with my Symphonio Dragon 2+, though, there just isn't enough precision available for the differences in DACs to be noticed and the balanced connection and using 2 independent DAC/Amps provided by the ES100 actually give them a lively veil (that velvet smoothness) that is fun to listen to - it sounds better than trying to achieve precision only by using say the output of my V20, Sabre all the way and not a good match for these portable headphones.

It's the match and purpose that matters, when I'm at home, I want transparency and musicality that so far, only the ESS Sabre chips of 9018 and above can offer, especially with reference class headphones.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, and the V30 has the ES9218P chip, so I'm sure that's even better. And then the V40 will I'm sure have an even newer chip as well when it comes out in October.

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #2,647 of 6,675
IT definitely does not sound veiled!

Ok, then if you don't feel it sounds veiled vs. other wired DACs, then that is yet another vote for the ES100! :L3000: lol

Thanks scotvl!

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,654 of 6,675
i was wondering if buying this little gem ..my old Fiio X5 2nd gen could become useless..regarding the sound quality
I wouldn't say it is useless but I haven't booted mine up since I removed my 128gb micro SD of music from it and put it in my LG G6 to pair with the ES100 over 6 months ago.

Sep 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #2,655 of 6,675
I wouldn't say it is useless but I haven't booted mine up since I removed my 128gb micro SD of music from it and put it in my LG G6 to pair with the ES100 over 6 months ago.

I think you just said "useless" :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back