Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 2, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #2,446 of 6,675
Definitely, I think Neutron gets just about everything right for an audiophile, the cross feed actually works very well too. I do love using the EQ on the ES100 though since it serves all phone audio and seems to be good enough for portable use, certainly better than trying to use a general eq filter app within Android.
You are right! I've never bothered with cross feed before but in neutral it sounds very natural. I'm glad you wrote this!

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #2,447 of 6,675

Doing a little testing with the ES100 and some 250ohm DT770s that I modded to balanced. In double-voltage mode it sounds surprisingly good. Tighter bass than I'd expect while at the same time exhibiting less of the shouty character I associate with the DT family.

I've also had a chance to run it with T20RPs and Pinnacle P1s, being generally pleased with both pairings. The T20s sound somewhere in the middle of their scalability range while the P1s really shined in a way that usually requires a lot more amp. So far I'm pleased and I'm really impressed with the depth of the app. Radsone included a ton of options with surprisingly thorough explanations for some of them.

I’m using dt770 32ohm with my es100, bu I found it too v-shaped. Don’t think balanced would help that much.
What did help was true-fi that makes the sound much more balanced.

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #2,448 of 6,675
I’m using dt770 32ohm with my es100, bu I found it too v-shaped. Don’t think balanced would help that much.
What did help was true-fi that makes the sound much more balanced.
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of them overall. I just got the pair really cheap, used on eBay, and use them as "mod pigs" to test ideas on. Not a ton else in my collection that I'd use to test the 2x voltage setting.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #2,451 of 6,675
Hello, I see that many people recommend this device or compare it against other dac / amp and even dap, is it really a scandal for 100 dollars? Is the best purchase for $ 100?

Pretty much. At least "one of the best" purchases.. period.

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #2,452 of 6,675
Hello, I see that many people recommend this device or compare it against other dac / amp and even dap, is it really a scandal for 100 dollars? Is the best purchase for $ 100?
I don't think it's a SCANDAL at $100. It sounds really really good for the money and, assuming your phone supports LDAC, it elevates your phone to somewhere approaching DAP level, but I'm not gonna be throwing out my dedicated DAP anytime soon. Most mid-tier DAPs output a good deal more power and use higher-end DAC chips like the AK4490, ESS9018, etc. vs the combo DAC/AMP ICs in the ES100. So I'd say the ES100 is the uncontested king of Bluetooth streaming, but not a scandal that's gonna destroy the DAP market or anything.

Sep 3, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #2,453 of 6,675
Hi berzerk428,

If you can afford it, make sure to get the version with the unmatched 512 GB base UFS storage!
I have been owning a Note 9 since about 10 days (pre-ordered and received on Aug. 24), never have I have been impressed by a phone this much, and never loved one this much, competition PCs vs smartphones is getting hot...
I love its super fast CPU, 4000 mAh battery, but most of all its big and super fast base storage of 512 GB (+ additional card or 400 or 512 GB... you can get 1 TB of storage in your phone...), ...
Now I can put on it not only many more directories of music album (mostly lossless, ordered by genre),
but even a lot of audiobooks and have the luxury of choosing out of much more choice,
all of this with me all the time wherever I may be... :gs1000smile:

(And with the S-pen like usual you don't have to type text, but just write normally and the handwriting is automatically OCRed, for as many languages as you set up,
I have no other choice as I have big fingers and can hardly succeed in typing on small screens like those of smartphones).

Note 9 [512 GB] + SD card [400 or 512 GB] + ES100 + IEM = most practical and most mobile solution for me :) ...

went into an electronics store over my lunch break today and checked out the note 9 for a couple of minutes .. the little doubt I had left in my mind is now gone haha.
Will be getting the 512 GB version to put my whole music collection on there and pair it up with the SE100 + N5005 :beyersmile:
I'll be sharing my impressions here, the only source I had for my music over the past couple of years was the V10 & V20 (and a DP-X1 for a short time), so I'll probably notice it straight away if there are major differences between the mentioned devices and the ES100 over LDAC

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,456 of 6,675
Yep, it even drives the hd650 well. That’s what I’ve heard. But I’ve hd660s personally and it’s so nice to go wireless sometimes.
It’s weird though, because they don’t seem to drive my 58X as well, despite being very similar technically. And I agree, wireless Sennheiser cans are wonderful.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,457 of 6,675
It’s weird though, because they don’t seem to drive my 58X as well, despite being very similar technically. And I agree, wireless Sennheiser cans are wonderful.

I agree with you, I find them barely ok with the HD58X and even less good with the HD650. I've got a feeling that it's hot enough power though and it's rather the signature that's not the best with the HD58X.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,458 of 6,675
I agree with you, I find them barely ok with the HD58X and even less good with the HD650. I've got a feeling that it's hot enough power though and it's rather the signature that's not the best with the HD58X.
I thought it was just me, so that’s good to know. I have a balanced cable I use with the 58X, and for whatever reason, it makes them sound thinner and brighter overall. I’m using the same cable with the 660s and I’m not really noticing these same changes. Maybe they just don’t have good synergy with the ES100.

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #2,460 of 6,675
Can you use the unit while it's charging? Thinking about using it connected to TV while at home.

Yes you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back