Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #6,076 of 6,675
Anyone else noticed this?
I don't have a lot of proper designed-for-audiophiles sources, but I've noticed a lot of difference between ES100 and other sources as well. I first started noticing it when I got a Shure SE846, which seems to be pretty source sensitive. I started hearing hiss from a lot of stuff I previously thought was fine, as well as effects on sound signature. The most common and most noticeable difference is that the ES100 has richer, deeper, more detailed bass.

The semi-legendary Sansa Clip+ (black, 4 GB, w/ Rockbox and 128 GB Sandisk MicroSD) is probably the best source I have next to the ES100. It makes faint squeaky noises if it reads from the SD in a really quiet stretch of music. It was barely audible on my previous IEMs, Shure SE425, but more audible with SE846. There's no hiss and the sound signature is about the same. The only difference I notice apart from the squeaks is that it has a smaller soundstage. On ES100 things just sound wider, and instrument placement is more precise. This really makes music come alive, but at the same time it makes it more obvious when one IEM isn't inserted quite the same as the other and things sound off-balance.

Laptop onboard Realtek audio on my Thinkpad T440p has hiss, a little less bass, and overall less detail. On most things the hiss is barely audible if it's there at all, but is audible on SE846 and Blon BL-03. The Blons suffer a more noticeable bass hit, having both less bass and less detailed bass -- they sound flat and average on the Realtek but shine on the ES100.

An old Sony Walkman CD player, I don't really notice much difference in the sound, but there is a little hiss.

And my phone, a Galaxy S7 Edge, US/Qualcomm version... It makes almost everything I plug into it sound cruddy. Usually it takes away a lot of bass, and the treble seems to lose some harmonies. Even $9 Sony MDR-EX14 earbuds, without the bass they sound like a tinny cheap radio. The EQ can bring back some bass but it can't make it sound right. The "Tube Amp Pro" filter option does the best, making my old SE425 sound at least somewhat acceptable. This thing and its lousy headphone out is what got me to buy the ES100 in the first place.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #6,077 of 6,675
S8F hiss with everything I test it with except BTR3, BTR5 and ES100, but that's not bothering me.
What confuses me is that audio coming from 3.5mm phone jack is lot bassier. Overall sound presentation on ES100 and especially BTR5 is very nice no doubt about that, it's just I'm starting to think when Huawei tuned dac on mate 9 they left the bass boost switch on lol. What reminds me, I previously owned ifi xdsd, it had the same issue, bass boost button on it didn't make as much difference as the one between In question. So what I'm saying xdsd with bass boost on didn't have as much impact as bass with 3.5 jack on my Mate 9.
I guess I'll find some other phone and test it.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #6,078 of 6,675
Could be output impedance? I can't find a graph for the S8F, but at least with the S8P output impedance would tend to add some upper bass but mostly mids.
I'm basing this off of the "Frequency response of Fearless Audio S8P headphone when connected to amplifiers with constant output impedance" graph at https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/fearless-audio-s8p.php [still pretty new, hoping this is ok to link]

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #6,079 of 6,675
Could be output impedance? I can't find a graph for the S8F, but at least with the S8P output impedance would tend to add some upper bass but mostly mids.
I'm basing this off of the "Frequency response of Fearless Audio S8P headphone when connected to amplifiers with constant output impedance" graph at https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/fearless-audio-s8p.php [still pretty new, hoping this is ok to link]

Thanks for the reply but that's not it. I forgot to mention it's the same with 6-7 iems I tried it with.

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #6,080 of 6,675
Radsone HUD100 Review. Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)

photo_2020-04-12_13-36-23.jpg

Apr 13, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #6,081 of 6,675
I always was a bass-head, so I left my SE846 for a long while, first for the FiiO FH5 and later for the FH7. Sound was good.
Yesterday by chance, I did try the SE846. Boy, I was blown away by the sudden clarity of those. Compare to the FH7 which (now) sounds too boomy and slightly muddy, the SE846 is another story. Initially the sub-bass was not so pronounced as with the FH7, but then I tried the FiiO bass tips (adapted to the narrower SE846 nozzles with a small stem), the sub-bass is there; Now to stay.

I will use the FH7 while mobile (with the SE100 or BTR5) and the SE846 at home with the Chord Mojo.

Apr 13, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #6,082 of 6,675
I always was a bass-head, so I left my SE846 for a long while, first for the FiiO FH5 and later for the FH7. Sound was good.
Yesterday by chance, I did try the SE846. Boy, I was blown away by the sudden clarity of those. Compare to the FH7 which (now) sounds too boomy and slightly muddy, the SE846 is another story. Initially the sub-bass was not so pronounced as with the FH7, but then I tried the FiiO bass tips (adapted to the narrower SE846 nozzles with a small stem), the sub-bass is there; Now to stay.

I will use the FH7 while mobile (with the SE100 or BTR5) and the SE846 at home with the Chord Mojo.
Yeah, I went from fh5 to se846, and I'm not switching back or to an alternative like the fh7.
Btw the se846 sounds like 80% as good as my stereo setup, so that's almost high end for on the go.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #6,084 of 6,675
Initially the sub-bass was not so pronounced as with the FH7, but then I tried the FiiO bass tips (adapted to the narrower SE846 nozzles with a small stem), the sub-bass is there; Now to stay.
What are these Fiio bass tips, and can I buy them someplace? I too am thoroughly impressed with SE846, especially when used with my ES100. It doesn't have as good treble extension as even many budget earphones, but what it has is superb. And the bass is something unique. I've been using the white filters on them for better highs, but experimenting with filter mods to bring back the sub bass. If a tip swap can do that for me, I'm all ears.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #6,085 of 6,675
How come the audio has to be playing in able to listen to Ambient Only? I listen to audiobooks and when someone come and speaks to me it would make more sense to pause the audio when ambient mode is set to "Ambient Only". The way it works now is that when I pause the audio Ambient Sound no longer works and I have to remove my Etymotic deep insert in-ears and break the seal.

On another note... I wanted to clip my ES100 vertically to my shirt so I 3D-printed this clip that's also a more snug fit and won't come off accidently as the original clip does.

es100-clip.jpg

Wondering if I can see this again, or anyone has the 3d print file?

Apr 24, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #6,087 of 6,675
Check cable and try a hard reset. Sometimes mine becomes unresponsive and this does the trick
So I went to use my es100 and it won't turn on or charge. I bought it in 2018 so no warranty. Has anyone encountered this and fixed the problem?

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #6,088 of 6,675
Hello guys, we are excited to share that Earstudio has opened up an official online store: https://earstudio.store
Don't miss out on the 2 weeks opening promotion - Up to 30% off all products :)

I have all the products in your store. How about new ones? :relaxed:

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #6,089 of 6,675
Are you able to physically connect the Es100 Mk2 to your phone with a cable (e.g. 3.5mm)?

I couldn't see a 3.5mm input on the Es100. Wondering if it can maybe be done with a 3.5mm-to-MicroUSB cable perhaps?

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #6,090 of 6,675
Since the Es100 has a microphone, if I use a cable with an in-line microphone, which microphone will end up getting used during calls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back