Radsone EarStudio ES100
Nov 27, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #3,331 of 6,675
Since the phone is just transmitting data to the receiver there is very little battery drain, less than when it has to decode, convert, and amplify the signal itself. Although I find that on modern phones the DAC/amp chips are so efficient that the battery drain is quite negligible too - it’s certainly the case on my LG V30 in spite of the powerful Sabre chip it includes.
Thanks! Also I guess even if the drain was a bit more than negligible, using a BT receiver would free up the single port on my phone to connect a mobile battery to.

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #3,332 of 6,675
just out of curiosity, is anyone using high voltage balanced mode with their IEM?
I've been using the ES100 + Note9 with a pair of AKG N5005 for several weeks now and these are kind of hard to drive despite only having an 18 Ohm impedance, so at a certain volume level the music would start to get distorted.

Using high voltage mode drives them as loud as I want without any distortion but I'm a bit worried about the warning that popped up when I activated the high voltage mode saying I could damage my IEM or the ES100..

Nov 27, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,333 of 6,675
just out of curiosity, is anyone using high voltage balanced mode with their IEM?
I've been using the ES100 + Note9 with a pair of AKG N5005 for several weeks now and these are kind of hard to drive despite only having an 18 Ohm impedance, so at a certain volume level the music would start to get distorted.

Using high voltage mode drives them as loud as I want without any distortion but I'm a bit worried about the warning that popped up when I activated the high voltage mode saying I could damage my IEM or the ES100..
I'm using the same setup, have it at -23db while my other IEMs are usually at -30 or -28db. So a bit harder but not terrible.

I will have to check if I have 2x voltage on. Usually don't but remember messing with the setting last week.

Nov 27, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #3,334 of 6,675

As long as you’re listening at a safe volume you should be fine

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #3,335 of 6,675
A few initial notes and questions:

-On a power basis, seems pretty versatile. Running balanced on 2x voltage, more than enough power for the HD800. (I'm not sure yet whether I'd say it's an especially good combination, but the power is there.)
-However, not quite enough power to drive Fostex RP driver based headphones (Argon, in my case) well, at least in single-ended. I'd love to try this balanced, but my Argons aren't wired for that.
-Happily drives the MD+, of course
-On max output, according to the app, it's providing almost 2vrms, potentially pretty good for feeding an amp. I tried this setup for a while with my RSA SR-71A, and seemed to work quite well.
-But, testing that setup did indicate to me that the amp section of the ES100 is probably holding it back a bit. (Would be great to see them come out with a larger version that has a beefier amp section and improved controls, and a volume display of some kind on the device would be sweet
-EQ works well (good for iSine users!), although the requirement to hold the preset name for four seconds or w/e in order to save the setting confused me at first.

Questions:

-If you set EQ through the app, then plug the ES100 into a computer using a cable, does the EQ stay active?
-Adjusting the volume with the buttons is surprisingly difficult. Single tap makes minute, inaudible adjustemnents, while holding the button down tends to make large, hard-to-control changes. Is this something folks get used to, or do they just give up and control the volume from the app? : )

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #3,336 of 6,675
usually if you hold play/pause (except while in a call) it activates google assistant. Still pretty iffy though, mine seems to require me to say OK Google twice or to hold play/pause on a mic/remote cabled headphone twice. The first time, it spends a while unlocking itself and google assistant times out. the second time it works perfect.

can someone give it a try? hold play/pause, see what happens?

holding play/pause on a wired mic during a call mutes the call, does this functionality already exist? Is there any hope of getting it remapped so play/pause during a call will mute and press/hold of play/pause will end call?

Looking on confirmation on mute functionally. I am also on conference calls (mobile and pc) and it would be convenient to have this done on the device rather than my phone/pc.

I looked at the user guide and didn't find anything... I just ordered one and now I'm thinking I may have jumped the gun...

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #3,337 of 6,675
usually if you hold play/pause (except while in a call) it activates google assistant. Still pretty iffy though, mine seems to require me to say OK Google twice or to hold play/pause on a mic/remote cabled headphone twice. The first time, it spends a while unlocking itself and google assistant times out. the second time it works perfect.

can someone give it a try? hold play/pause, see what happens?

holding play/pause on a wired mic during a call mutes the call, does this functionality already exist? Is there any hope of getting it remapped so play/pause during a call will mute and press/hold of play/pause will end call?

Looking on confirmation on mute functionally. I am also on conference calls (mobile and pc) and it would be convenient to have this done on the device rather than my phone/pc.

I looked at the user guide and didn't find anything... I just ordered one and now I'm thinking I may have jumped the gun...
Just tried it, and this is what I observed while connected on a call on Bluetooth:
  • Quick press on play/pause ends the call.
  • Long press on play/pause disconnects ES100 from Bluetooth, but the call remains connected on the phone itself.
In summary, the play/pause button does not mute the ES100 microphone. I would find it useful if I could mute/unmute without pulling out the phone.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #3,338 of 6,675
-If you set EQ through the app, then plug the ES100 into a computer using a cable, does the EQ stay active?

Yes.

I was also able to control the EQ settings and analog volume via the app while the es100 was connected to my PC. I am using latest firmware (I never checked on this functionality in the previous version).

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3,339 of 6,675
Just tried it, and this is what I observed while connected on a call on Bluetooth:
  • Quick press on play/pause ends the call.
  • Long press on play/pause disconnects ES100 from Bluetooth, but the call remains connected on the phone itself.
In summary, the play/pause button does not mute the ES100 microphone. I would find it useful if I could mute/unmute without pulling out the phone.

Thanks! Time to cancel my order.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,340 of 6,675
Thanks! Time to cancel my order.
I wouldn't cancel just yet as Radsone monitors this thread and updates the device with features, when possible, as they come up. Of course you could order again if the feature is ever added

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,341 of 6,675
If that’s still the case, I really wish they would add a long press option to activate Siri. I don’t really care which button, but as so many of us use the device to be wireless AND keep the phone in a bag or pocket, making calls / reading texts / emails via Siri would be a real bonus. Android users may disagree, I guess...

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,342 of 6,675
I wouldn't cancel just yet as Radsone monitors this thread and updates the device with features, when possible, as they come up. Of course you could order again if the feature is ever added

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already cancelled the order.

To the folks at Radsone. Please update so that folks can mute the mic right from the ES100 (or future devices)! Could be others lurking on this thread waiting for this feature before they place their orders :eyes::blush:

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #3,343 of 6,675
If that’s still the case, I really wish they would add a long press option to activate Siri. I don’t really care which button, but as so many of us use the device to be wireless AND keep the phone in a bag or pocket, making calls / reading texts / emails via Siri would be a real bonus. Android users may disagree, I guess...
+1 for Siri activation from the ES100. However, I'd prefer it was activated with a double-click of the power button, same as the FiiO BTR3.
I'd like to reserve the medium long press for a pause function that also engages Ambient mode.

Nov 27, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #3,344 of 6,675
Has anyone done testing with ES100 and DT1770? Is ES100 enough to drive the 250ohms in a DT1770?
I have done some research and a few members here have provided helpful directions.

But I am a bit confused with the 2.5mm vs 3.5mm power outputs. As I understand the DT1770 is an unbalanced headphone and will be driven by the 3.5mm output of ES100. Is this correct? Or will I be able to leverage the higher output of the 2.5mm output even if the headphones are unbalanced?

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3,345 of 6,675
Has anyone done testing with ES100 and DT1770? Is ES100 enough to drive the 250ohms in a DT1770?
I have done some research and a few members here have provided helpful directions.

But I am a bit confused with the 2.5mm vs 3.5mm power outputs. As I understand the DT1770 is an unbalanced headphone and will be driven by the 3.5mm output of ES100. Is this correct? Or will I be able to leverage the higher output of the 2.5mm output even if the headphones are unbalanced?

You can't use the balanced output without balanced cabling on your headphones. You can adapt balanced headphones to single-ended amps, but not single-ended headphones to balanced amps.

I didn't try my HD800 (which are a little harder to drive, power spec-wise, than the DT1770) on the single-ended output of the ES100, but I can do so later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back