Radsone EarStudio ES100
Nov 26, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #3,317 of 6,675
There’s a significant usability advantage for me using my IEM’s with ES100 in my gym shorts pocket vs a wire connected to my iPhone XS, which I definitely do not ever put in my gym shorts pocket due to weight and clunkiness. The ES100 is orders of magnitude lighter and with the IEM cable under my shirt into the ES100 in pocket, it’s literally almost like having true wireless earphones to me, and I can change up what I’m listening to (or even watching) without my phone being physically tethered to anything.

I always laugh when I read someone opining that they don’t see the difference between plugging a cable into the ES100 vs directly into the phone! :laughing:

Nov 26, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #3,318 of 6,675
According to their Facebook page the ES100 will be on flash-sale on 2nd December in the UK on amazon

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #3,319 of 6,675
There’s a significant usability advantage for me using my IEM’s with ES100 in my gym shorts pocket vs a wire connected to my iPhone XS, which I definitely do not ever put in my gym shorts pocket due to weight and clunkiness. The ES100 is orders of magnitude lighter and with the IEM cable under my shirt into the ES100 in pocket, it’s literally almost like having true wireless earphones to me, and I can change up what I’m listening to (or even watching) without my phone being physically tethered to anything.

I always laugh when I read someone opining that they don’t see the difference between plugging a cable into the ES100 vs directly into the phone! :laughing:

Good point, thank you.
I am definetely interested in wireless, and only posted to get some good ideas why these particular solutions would be advantages to me. And yours is a good one I hadn't thought of before.

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #3,320 of 6,675
Some phones have output impedance that's a bit on the high side for some IEMs, so this would be one good reason not to rely on the phone's 3.5mm jack, even assuming that the dongle solutions aren't otherwise superior. A wired DAC/amp stack will probably be the best from a quality standpoint (depending on the particular unit, of course), but is often bulky, which would bother some folks. Especially if connecting your your phone to your DAC requires cables that are proprietary and/or fragile and/or too long and/or with connectors that will be stressed whenever you put the stacked devices into your pocket.

Excellent point. I found a post on xda-developers regarding the output impedance of my S7 edge and it appears to be maybe too low and THD kinda high, so not so good....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/s7-edge-headphone-output-measurements-t3336123

Setup
  1. Audio Precision APx525
  2. Loaded (unless specified): 16 Ohm

Summary:
Supports high resolution playback up to 192 kHz.
Flat frequency response: <0.08 dB delta upto 96 kHz
Very good dynamic range: 93 dB
LOW output level: -9dBV (360mV using a 0dBFS signal) into a 16 Ohm load (for reference, Asian iPhone 6 = -1 dBV)
Output impedance: 5.6 Ohm
Crosstalk: didn't have to means to this measurement, sorry
THD+N: at nominal level = max 0.05%, at maximum level = max 0.7%

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #3,321 of 6,675

+1 to all you say. And the phone not being tethered is key - it needs to be free. Now when I occasionally need to plug into the phone, it doesn't take long before I start getting angry lol

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #3,322 of 6,675
Do you ever get glitching on your 3T when using the ES100? I occasionally get a random cut in sound for a fraction of a second, the only way to stop it is the go into airplane mode and out again which stops it for a day or so. Very irritating. Pretty sure it isn't an issue with the ES100 after looking on the Oneplus forums :deadhorse:
I've not experienced that yet but it's only have been 2 days of use.

Nov 26, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,323 of 6,675
Excellent point. I found a post on xda-developers regarding the output impedance of my S7 edge and it appears to be maybe too low and THD kinda high, so not so good....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/s7-edge-headphone-output-measurements-t3336123

5.6ohm is actually really high (not too low) for a lot of IEM... The general rule of thumb is that output impedance at 1/8th of the headphone's own impedance gives appropriate driver clamping force (tho it's just a rule of thumb and not a law). Furthermore, multi balanced armature IEM tend to interact poorly with high output impedance because each armature reacts differently, leading to a wonky frequency response.

The difference between ~3 ohm output Z on my old Pixel vs 1 ohm or less on a dongle or the ES100 is pretty noticeable with my Massdrop Plus Universal IEM. I like using this kind of adapter because I just need one to pair with both my IEM and on ears as needed, and it's easily replaceable when it's outdated or the battery conks out. When the battery conks out on natively wireless cans you end up with a nice paperweight.

I typically use a short cable with my IEM and on ears (both have removable cables) which allows me to clip the ES100 (and previous BT adapters I've owned) to my shirt collar or sleeve. At that point it's not really any more obtrusive than those wireless IEM joined by a cable, and it'll get better battery life than most of those thanks to a larger battery. You could even clip it to on-ears or full size headphones tho it can look a bit dorky.

If your own choice of headphones don't have a removable cable then yeah, there might not be a lot of difference between having the ES100 in a pocket vs a DAP (being able to cut the tether to the phone is huge to me either way)... Though you'd have to spend significantly more on a DAP to get better sound and the ES100 is small enough it'll fit in the change pocket of jeans or even clip discretely to a belt.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #3,324 of 6,675
5.6ohm is actually really high (not too low) for a lot of IEM... The general rule of thumb is that output impedance at 1/8th of the headphone's own impedance gives appropriate driver clamping force (tho it's just a rule of thumb and not a law). Furthermore, multi balanced armature IEM tend to interact poorly with high output impedance because each armature reacts differently, leading to a wonky frequency response.

The difference between ~3 ohm output Z on my old Pixel vs 1 ohm or less on a dongle or the ES100 is pretty noticeable with my Massdrop Plus Universal IEM. I like using this kind of adapter because I just need one to pair with both my IEM and on ears as needed, and it's easily replaceable when it's outdated or the battery conks out. When the battery conks out on natively wireless cans you end up with a nice paperweight.

Yeah. Not all multi-driver IEMs are very sensitive to differences in output impedance, but the MD+ sure is one of them. There are wired solutions to this, like the iFi IEMatch, but the IEMatch is pretty fragile for regular use if you're carrying your phone in your pocket.

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #3,326 of 6,675
Recently picked up the ES100, and have paired it successfully with both of my Sony daps using LDAC. However, I am not able to use the volume controls on either dap. Do I need to update the firmware on the ES100? I did search thru the thread, but was unsuccessful in determining an answer. Thx for any advice.

Bern

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #3,327 of 6,675
Just got mine (I also jumped on the $75 price). It's adorable, and I appreciate that the box it comes in isn't bigger than it needs to be. (Although of course that didn't stop Amazon from shipping it in a box many times larger.)

The app integration is extremely impressive. Oh, and to answer my own recent question about the crossfeed: the implementation is pretty subtle and should be unobjectionable to most users. I might have liked a more aggressive option for when one is listening to stuff that was never intended to be heard on headphones.

Nov 27, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #3,328 of 6,675
Recently picked up the ES100, and have paired it successfully with both of my Sony daps using LDAC. However, I am not able to use the volume controls on either dap. Do I need to update the firmware on the ES100? I did search thru the thread, but was unsuccessful in determining an answer. Thx for any advice.

Bern

I upgrade mine to v2.0.1 when i first got it.

If I connect the es100 to my note 9 and open the app you should see a source volume slider and analog volume slider.

When I adjust my note 9 volume manually, the source volume slider in the app also moves.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #3,329 of 6,675
This question isn't specific to the ES100 but is there a significant battery drain difference between using a phone directly vs. using Bluetooth and a receiver? Maybe a dumb question but I don't really ever use BT devices.

Nov 27, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #3,330 of 6,675
This question isn't specific to the ES100 but is there a significant battery drain difference between using a phone directly vs. using Bluetooth and a receiver? Maybe a dumb question but I don't really ever use BT devices.
Since the phone is just transmitting data to the receiver there is very little battery drain, less than when it has to decode, convert, and amplify the signal itself. Although I find that on modern phones the DAC/amp chips are so efficient that the battery drain is quite negligible too - it’s certainly the case on my LG V30 in spite of the powerful Sabre chip it includes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back