Radsone EarStudio ES100
Aug 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #2,386 of 6,675
Does anyone know if the ES100 can drive a balanced pair of IEMS (In this case, Shure 535's) AND a standard signal from the 3.5mm jack at the same time? I don't want to just try it because of all the aspects of balanced connection I don't understand.
My goal here is to pipe the 3.5mm out to a sub transducer on my listening chair for low frequency while I listen with my IEMs. Soundmatters has their foxlos on sale until Monday, and I'm considering picking one of those up or going with a buttkicker or similar for my chair.

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,388 of 6,675
Does anyone know if the ES100 can drive a balanced pair of IEMS (In this case, Shure 535's) AND a standard signal from the 3.5mm jack at the same time? I don't want to just try it because of all the aspects of balanced connection I don't understand.
My goal here is to pipe the 3.5mm out to a sub transducer on my listening chair for low frequency while I listen with my IEMs. Soundmatters has their foxlos on sale until Monday, and I'm considering picking one of those up or going with a buttkicker or similar for my chair.
I wouldn't try it. You'd be putting a lot of load on the amp, and in my opinion, you risk damaging the device.

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #2,390 of 6,675
That's what I was afraid of. I don't remember reading in any of the de vice literature NOT to plug in two devices at the same time, but I wasn't sure.
No, it won't work at all. Only 1 output at a time. Load doesn't matter. Just get splitter cable and route one to the amp, another to iem.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2,391 of 6,675
For several days, listened to music through ES100 in connection with my car aux-in. Dramatic sound improvements compared to default car Bluetooth sound. Easily feels much more details and richness which I've never heard in my car before! Maybe closed listening space makes the difference stronger (previously mainly listened to ES100 sound in living room).
It was flac file listening from my iPhone7 in the car, so AAC Bluetooth transmission to es100. Curious how much better from LDAC devices.. Seriously considering Galaxy Note 9..

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #2,392 of 6,675
I don't know if this a general issue with headphones, I don't have many amps to test with, maybe someone that does can chime in here.

I think this is a small issue for most headphones, but apparently a large issue for the Focal Elear in particular, that would explain the diverse reviews it gets - and the diverse range of frequency graphs people produce from it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Foc...pbdAhXPMt4KHUl9DK0Q_AUICigB&biw=1022&bih=1014

Focal Elear sounds incredible with a decent cable and into my V20 - but it sounds terrible on my hybrid desktop amp and the ES100.

Aug 31, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #2,393 of 6,675
Would owners say this is one of the best at its price point?

Aug 31, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #2,395 of 6,675
I'm thinking of sending mine back to Amazon (despite getting about 30% off). I like it, but I don't live it.

Pros:
- tiny, lightweight
- highly configurable
- sounds pretty good
- quite detailed

Cons:
- it thins out the bass, particularly when running the sharp filter. soft filter has less problem with the bass but rolls off too much highs
- EQ colours the sound way too much on FLAT, I end up drifting well away from flat to try to match the non-EQ sound, but there's an overtone than annoys with EQ on
- it's a bit spikey sounding
- it's hard to press one button without pressing another because of the layout

I've tried running my headphones through a number of devices, all of which have pros and cons. My K10s sound terrific through the DAC in my Fractal Audio Axe FX II guitar processor, but that's not too practical. They sound good straight out of the lightning port on my iPhone X and straight out the MacBook Pro. I like the clarity from the ES100 but I wish I could tailor the bass and treble slightly with the EQ without introducing overtones. I'm sure it's a bug.

So I may keep it, it's convenient. I may return it and wait for the BTR3 to reach the UK to see if it has a better EQ implementation and tone.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,396 of 6,675
I'm thinking of sending mine back to Amazon (despite getting about 30% off). I like it, but I don't live it.

Pros:
- tiny, lightweight
- highly configurable
- sounds pretty good
- quite detailed

Cons:
- it thins out the bass, particularly when running the sharp filter. soft filter has less problem with the bass but rolls off too much highs
- EQ colours the sound way too much on FLAT, I end up drifting well away from flat to try to match the sound, but there's an overtone than annoys with EQ on
- it's a bit spikey sounding
- it's hard to press one button without pressing another because of the layout

I've tried running my headphones through a number of devices, all of which have pros and cons. My K10s sound terrific through the DAC in my Fractal Audio Axe FX II guitar processor, but that's not too practical. They sound good straight out of the lightning port on my iPhone X and straight out the MacBook Pro. I like the clarity from the ES100 but I wish I could tailor the bass and treble slightly with the EQ without introducing overtones. I'm sure it's a bug.

So I may keep it, it's convenient. I may return it and wait for the BTR3 to reach the UK to see if it has a better EQ implementation and tone.
I have not noticed any decrease in bass whatsoever using sharp roll-off. I can't say anything about the EQ because I don't use it. Just out of curiosity, do you have crossfeed off?

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,397 of 6,675
I have not noticed any decrease in bass whatsoever using sharp roll-off. I can't say anything about the EQ because I don't use it. Just out of curiosity, do you have crossfeed off?

I have everything off - no DCT, no Cross Feed, no oversampling, no Jitter correction. I find in comparison to other sources that the bass has dropped quite a lot. It can be corrected with a little EQ but the EQ on this IMO is terrible.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,398 of 6,675
Which price point? The sale on Amazon right now for $75? Definitely! Regular $99? Definitely! Oh, it's the same answer.
Great answer! A question for iPhone users though. If you have ALAC files on it, and you therefore use AAC for transmission to the ES100, is there a loss of quality or downsampling involved? Thanks.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,399 of 6,675
Great answer! A question for iPhone users though. If you have ALAC files on it, and you therefore use AAC for transmission to the ES100, is there a loss of quality or downsampling involved? Thanks.

You'll get 256k (or is it 250k?) AAC file. I use it with Apple Music, so I am already at that quality.

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #2,400 of 6,675
I have everything off - no DCT, no Cross Feed, no oversampling, no Jitter correction. I find in comparison to other sources that the bass has dropped quite a lot. It can be corrected with a little EQ but the EQ on this IMO is terrible.
Why do you have jitter correction off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back