1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Radsone EarStudio ES100

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by m4rkw, Dec 12, 2017.
First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168
Next

Last
  1. zerolight
    Or an iPhone widget.

2. zerolight
    I just wish the es100 had more granular eq. Pulling the 8k down a smidge impacts everything between 4k and 16k I expect.

3. SubMash
    Pull 16k down few dB if you want similar to slow filter result.

4. zerolight
    That's not what I'm trying to replicate. I just find something around 7.5k to be a bit shouty. Dropping it 1 or 2 dB in foobar helps. But you can be much more narrow there. Not so accurate in es100 and as I use my iPhone exclusively, the es100 could shine here with better eq.

5. peter123
    Yeah, I think this is a good idea as well but I think we should give Radsone more than one week to implement it :wink:

6. zerolight
    I'm pretty convinced that turning EQ on, even flat, results in a brighter sound, and a compressed soundstage. Something happens. Gets thinner or something. Maybe a touch of reverb. I don't know, but it sounds off.

tim0chan likes this.
  7. Luap123
    Of course! I was just curious if other people might like this idea as well or if it was just me...

:)

peter123 likes this.
  8. zerolight
    I'm now certain of it. The EQ, even flat, impacts the sound significantly. There's a definite reverb or phase issue, or some artefact that changes the sound profile.

edit: sounds like maybe it's applying similar to the short delay profile when you turn EQ on.

For me the only options are Sharp Roll Off or Slow Roll Off, definitely NO EQ.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    tim0chan likes this.
  9. SubMash
    Are you absolutely certain you never paired it with anything else?

10. SubMash
    Can't hear flat EQ vs Off difference. And mathematically there should be no difference as well. And it can't make reverbs by nature.
    Certainly, every EQ which doesn't restore the linear phase would offset it. As well as headphones crossover or filter.

11. zerolight
    It's very obvious with my K10. Weird.

12. sideways
    It's obvious with my AKG's and Grado's as well...

13. Lurk650
    Will stick with Slow bc that's what I found I like on this device. No EQ, never use EQ with headphones and never will.

100%

14. PiSkyHiFi
    This ES100 seems to be very sensitive to headphones, I don't know what it is yet, but I can't get a good sound with my re-cabled (balanced OFC copper with silver plate) Focal Elears at all.

I thought it might have been because I had EQ on since these posts, but I tried again and I can't hear a difference between flat EQ and no EQ, but I just can't get anywhere near the quality of going straight from the V20 headphone jack into these cans, not even close I'm afraid.

For my Dragon 2+ and MSR7, the ES100 is great, seems to provide excellent sound into these, the Dragon 2+ is balanced, admittedly not much sub-bass, but sounds mostly the same as straight into my V20, which is what I needed for portable use.

I'm going to be honest here and say that the ES100 is great for portable use, but the output from the V20 just has much more detail that when combined with reference headphones, beats my previous desktop configuration and the ES100 just doesn't come close, even in USB mode.

Really functional device, portable king, but not the best sound quality compared to more expensive offerings.

edit: I use sharp roll-off, 4x oversampling, no DCT and no crossfeed and I do use EQ.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    monsieurfromag3 likes this.
  15. PiSkyHiFi
    Buffers these days can be huge - interesting that it was allowed to buffer so much, not particularly useful and this can happen if something is mistimed.

monsieurfromag3 likes this.
First

Back
148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157
159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168
Next

Last