Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 23, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #1,771 of 6,675
have you pause the music after altering the DTC? im in LDAC and is adjustable (only when the music is paused/stop)
Yep, that was it. Music was playing. Interesting, before used to adjust while it was playing. I leave it at 5 anyways. What do you guys have it set at?

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,772 of 6,675
Yep, that was it. Music was playing. Interesting, before used to adjust while it was playing. I leave it at 5 anyways. What do you guys have it set at?
It's not working during LDAC playback - not enough memory to run dct or crossfeeding with LDAC codec. So it doesn't matter what you set it to.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,774 of 6,675
@wslee
1. Can you create an iOS lockscreen widget that gives access to the analog volume control? Opening the app each time to check the analog volume is frustrating.
2. The physical volume buttons do not respond to rapid presses - I must wait for a delay between each press to change the volume accurately, or press and hold and to quickly change by an unknown amount.
3. Can you add an option to allow iOS volume sync? I don't care about granularity - the invisible analog volume control is just annoying to me. Maybe allow setting a maximum limit for the analog volume so the iOS volume steps would be divided over a smaller range.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #1,776 of 6,675
Hi,
I really like the ES100, sound is amazing, especially with the newly added LDAC codec. However, I have a slight problem, every time I connect to the ES, SBC is used even though I have previously set up LDAC as my preferred codec in my dev settings. I have to change it back to LDAC in the dev settings every time.
Do you guys have a fix for that?
Thanks

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,778 of 6,675
Hi,
I really like the ES100, sound is amazing, especially with the newly added LDAC codec. However, I have a slight problem, every time I connect to the ES, SBC is used even though I have previously set up LDAC as my preferred codec in my dev settings. I have to change it back to LDAC in the dev settings every time.
Do you guys have a fix for that?
Thanks
Yeah man!
In BT devices, go to earstudio preferences and there are a LDAC option which must be activated to make the ldac codec as a prefered one. (guess only OREO OS have it)

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #1,780 of 6,675
On Android 8 (Oreo), open the phone's Bluetooth settings. It will show a list of paired devices. Tap on the settings for EarStudio (gear icon). You should see a control to enable/disable LDAC.

Bluetooth_Settings.jpg
EarStudio_Settings.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,781 of 6,675
I experienced a lot of dramatic improvements lately with one being using balanced cables in combination with my es100 Bluetooth adapter instead of regular cables. The improvement in sound quality was dramatic not because of the balanced cable per se but because of this particular device working so much better in the balanced mode. This is the best portable combination ever which includes es100. For ultimate convenience this is a superb option.

However, using the same cable with a small adaptor that converts balanced to unbalanced in order to be used with my little bear, the change in sound was even more dramatic with the new opamp from burson audio installed. This new opamp drastically transformed the sound after one day that has been installed. The combination es100 + little bear + burson audio v5i opamp is less portable but the sound quality is unbelievable for the price. Sometimes I am not believing what I am hearing I just need to compare directly now with a most expensive system in order to be able to put things into perspective. As I said, is less portable now but having
IMG_20180721_093051212.jpg
IMG_20180721_091429193.jpg
even in bed when lying down the little bear connected to es100 is not a big deal. The sound quality thought reminds me a proper main system. Guitars and generally music instruments sound so powerful.

It is such a shame that Motorola/levono do not support the software of their (old) phones anymore and I will not get the chance soon to add LDAC in this superb combination ( and of course I will never get a Moto phone again given this poor software update experience... )

Nevertheless, es 100 can be used in budget friendly combinations that have the potential to be giant killers and this is what matters in this case...

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #1,782 of 6,675
There is zero difference between balanced and unbalanced from amplifier to headphones. Each driver is an inherently balanced system. The balanced connection is 6 dB louder, so you must increase the analog volume by 6 dB when using an unbalanced connection in order to make a fair comparison.

I also noticed zero audible difference with HD Jitter Cleaner, DCT, DAC Digital Filter, and DAC Oversampling, on my Shure SE846 with both balanced and unbalanced cables.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,783 of 6,675
I think the real benefit of the balanced output in ES100 is its ability to drive higher-impedance loads. The SE846 is a low impedance earphone (9 Ohms @ 1 KHz), so there's likely no perceptible benefit to going balanced on the ES100 for that one.

I had no problem driving my 20-yr-old Sennheiser HD 545 (150 Ohms) in unbalanced 2x current mode, though at around 60+% analog volume (and ALWAYS 100% digital volume - otherwise, why worry about bit depth?).

However, if you scaled up to the HD 650 (300 Ohms), I think you'd want to go balanced.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #1,784 of 6,675
Hd650 is somewhat not loud enough at maximum voltage. And with 846 you need really low resistance cables while most balanced cable is 10x higher than they should be. Balanced still useful to remove ground noise issue and increase channel separation. I have to use 1x balanced voltage mode (can't hear any difference of 1x or 2x voltage) and -23dB analog volume with -6dB preamp to use 846.

Jul 24, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #1,785 of 6,675
@wslee
1. Can you create an iOS lockscreen widget that gives access to the analog volume control? Opening the app each time to check the analog volume is frustrating.
2. The physical volume buttons do not respond to rapid presses - I must wait for a delay between each press to change the volume accurately, or press and hold and to quickly change by an unknown amount.
3. Can you add an option to allow iOS volume sync? I don't care about granularity - the invisible analog volume control is just annoying to me. Maybe allow setting a maximum limit for the analog volume so the iOS volume steps would be divided over a smaller range.

I think the lockscreen widget and/or Apple Watch control would be a handy addition. As for volume granularity, I wouldn't look to sync the digital volume, as that would compromise dynamic range, which is counter to this device's main intent; instead, they could give an option to vary the analog volume step rate or increment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back