Radius HP-TWF11r Review and Impressions thread
Jun 20, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #466 of 864

Quote:
wow let us know if your purchase succeeded. $90 is just crazy. Do they ship worldwide?

Yes, I'll let you all know if I got lucky!  And yes, they ship worldwide.

Quote:
aBc.CaN,
I see you have purchased your DDMs already, Congratulations. So you are saying that you got an OEM version without the accessories!!! The nice cleaning cloth and the earphone case are
atsmile.gif
nice but you can live without it.
when are you going to get them?
It took 4 days for mine to arrive. 
It seems like the website this people have isn't made for individual sale. They sale their products on ebay store as far as I understand.

Looking forward to your review.

Somehow I don't think the cleaning cloth will be something I'll worry about... 
wink.gif
  Who uses cleaning cloths???  The case looks nice, though I'm a quick packer-upperer, and don't want to spend time carefully storing it.  It was supposed to be shipped out to me on Thu. last week, they gave me shipping time of 3-5 days.

That's a good point about eBay.  Trading a smaller discount, for more security, you can buy the OEM version through eBay.

My review... lol... Does anyone care about the EX700?  (Besides me of course ^_^)  It's an unloved IEM on HF.

Quote:
^ aBc.Can, remember to give us some impression when you get yours. Or even post some photos. I want to see what comes with the OEM version of it.

I agree with Eric, it'd be a steal, but for me the money could be used to make custom earmold.

Sorreee sire!  Not everyone has the luxury of affording French decadence (aka SM3), and still be able to procede to spend more money on it for a custom earmold. 
tongue.gif

Here's a pic. they sent me.

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #467 of 864
oh hell I would take that for $90 if I wanted to spend the money on it. That sounds like a great deal imo. Also the difference in price is definitely not worth the accessories from a nib. Actually if given the option I would pay less for an oem rather than get the full package for any iem.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #468 of 864

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if the Radius are forgiving towards lossy audio file (I listen in various bitrate AAC mostly) ? Or do they just reflect every flaw of lossy files?
Thanks in advance.
normal_smile .gif

I actually think they are more forgiving of lossy files than most, just because the lack of biting treble won't make compression artefacts sound awful. Certainly, you'll still pick up compression artefacts, and anything below 160 AAC/MP3 will turn those up, but they won't be hugely distracting as on some other IEMs. Most of my tracks are 256/320 AAC on my portable player, which is where i use my DDMs.

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #469 of 864

Quote:

I actually think they are more forgiving of lossy files than most, just because the lack of biting treble won't make compression artefacts sound awful. Certainly, you'll still pick up compression artefacts, and anything below 160 AAC/MP3 will turn those up, but they won't be hugely distracting as on some other IEMs. Most of my tracks are 256/320 AAC on my portable player, which is where i use my DDMs.

Agreed.  A bad source is always going to be bad, but I'd say the DDMs are on the lower half of the analytical scale, and accordingly forgiving.

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #470 of 864
Nice, thanks for the replies.

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #471 of 864
I'm selling my pair of these in the FS forum if anybody's interested... :)

Jun 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #472 of 864
Ok ppl. They arrived yesterday! Talk about quick shipping! I can't believe how well they were packaged. I was just expecting them to be put in a padded envelope.  I've used them so I repackaged them in the similar fashion in which they arrived for the photo.

1st impressions vs the EX700.

DDM is better at:
Layering / separation of music, bass goes lower and has more impact, treble - as the EX700 can be harsh, catching more attention - why use gold!?

EX700 is better at:
Clarity - it sounds noticeably clearer, comfort - it's easier to put on and doesn't hurt my ears like the DDM, catching less attention.

To me they isolate about the same, which is like a medium level of isolation where you can't hear ppl talking at normal volume with music playing.  The cables seem similarly microphonic, but I can live with it, the X10 had the worst microphonics for me.

So it's like 3 hours into the DDM's burn in.  I hope it becomes a lot clearer because then it will replace my EX700! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #473 of 864

Quote:
1st impressions vs the EX700.

DDM is better at:
Layering / separation of music, bass goes lower and has more impact, treble - as the EX700 can be harsh, catching more attention - why use gold!?

EX700 is better at:
Clarity - it sounds noticeably clearer, comfort - it's easier to put on and doesn't hurt my ears like the DDM, catching less attention.

To me they isolate about the same, which is like a medium level of isolation where you can't hear ppl talking at normal volume with music playing.  The cables seem similarly microphonic, but I can live with it, the X10 had the worst microphonics for me.

So it's like 3 hours into the DDM's burn in.  I hope it becomes a lot clearer because then it will replace my EX700! 
biggrin.gif

Hey abc, congrats on receiving them! (And yay, someone else in Sydney :D )
I had the EX700's a while ago, and I suspect that the DDM's will probably not end up as "clear" sounding as the 700's. You have to be careful though - the EX700 gets its clear sound by basically putting in ear piercing treble. I personally hated the EX700 because I just found the sound bland and painful (especially given the price) but it will probably take a little time to adjust to the DDM's sound. They definitely do clear up with burn in though.

Around Sydney, I've never really noticed anyone giving me looks when I wear the DDM's haha... as for comfort, try wearing them like I do - loop them over the back of your ear all the way till the DDM can go into your ear just the same as if you were wearing them with the cable straight up to your ear. Found that this is the most comfortable position for me.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #474 of 864
Any idea if that seller has lots of the DDM or is it limited? I'm just wondering since it will be a while until I buy another set of earphones. At $90 that's a great deal however. I hope you enjoy them :)

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #475 of 864
Got some Comply T-400 tips for the Radius, as I'd enjoyed the difference the T-100s made to my Klipsch X5. Definitely more comfortable than the silicon tips, probably making the bass a little more precise too (not that there was much wrong in the first place). Recommended.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #477 of 864

Quote:
90$ is a great price... but one that unfortunately will drive these earphones into the mass market at headfi. With a price like that, people will start to think of it as an 'okay' earphone - it always works like that here.

Ha!  You're probably right, if the price lasts...but I doubt it will.  OEM deals are often shortlived (e.g., the Copper from Dell) and the seller will likely realize he can get a better price anyway. : )

Congratulations on SK's advancement into the second round, btw!  Your semifinal run in 2002 required loads of luck, but your team has impressed me ever since!

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #478 of 864
i bought that from that dealer to 105$,and I am using it for 20 days.These earphones definitely worth to their price,and I think what makes DDm so unique is that incredible detail that comes from this little drivers,superb mids and most importantly the dark sound that makes me feel like I am listening a closed headphone.The strings are soft,not a fast earphone but clear music.Even the highs are very dark.I should also add that I think they do not benefit much with amp,dac.Ddm likes portable rigs more...

But the factors that I menitoned why I love radius is makes this earphone so distinct from others.Because a people who buys this earphone as his/her first iem may think that this earphone is not good enough.Because its bass is detailed but not dominant,also its highs are not cold enough for creating the realistic listening experience.But the presentation of music is so different than we are familiar with others;so that I believe it is the reason why most head-fi'ers love this.Maybe the sound that comes from this dual dynamic drivers; very far than the real music experience but it tastes very good with rap music or some techno because of the detail.Also it is good choice for rock also because the strings are clear,short and highs do not blur the music.

Whatever,this iem from radius shows dual dynamics are creating a different world.But these are  definitely for audiophiles,a beginner may choose even cx300 rather than radius.Also not everyone may like this earphone(a confession is some of my favourite songs,I don't like it sometimes.and the reason is not the bad SQ.Just the sound signature).But I believe these earphone worth 160 dollars,and if I own radius company;I would sell it for 200 dollars.

---Also those who have small ears,radius may not fit to your ears.So be aware of it...---

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #479 of 864
Well, the DDM's continue to laugh in the face of every other headphone I get.
The Shure se530's were super smooth and had me beguiled for a while by their midrange but the DDM's just did more things right so I sold the Shures.
Now, my newly acquired Ortofon eq7's are impressing me very muchly, but was just comparing them to the DDM's on Radiohead's Kid A and my poor posh Ortos didn't stand a chance.
Hmm now I wonder how they compare to those pesky SM3's I keep hearing about? ...must resist.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #480 of 864

Quote:
Hmm now I wonder how they compare to those pesky SM3's I keep hearing about? ...must resist.

LoL!  You are so screwed!  Most of the dynamic and DDM boys have gone over to the dark side already.  Resistance is futile...

So can you elaborate on what you liked about the DDM's over the 530's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back