Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #7,756 of 7,883
Some more findings after you had more time to listen? How is the bass comparing the two cables?
I haven't had much time to listen to them as other things have kept me busy, unfortunately. The bass level is perhaps a little higher but I am not too worried about bass with these phones, kind of like worrying about gas mileage with your Ferrari. As I get more time with the new cable I will report updates.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #7,757 of 7,883
I have a Line Magnetic LM-210 SET amp (300B) with a choice of 4/8/16 ohm taps. Would either the SR1b or CA-1a be ok using the TI-1b interface (via the 16 ohm on the 300B amp), or would it be better to use the TI-1c interface which appears to be more suitable in general for these types of amps?

Apr 1, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #7,758 of 7,883
I have a Line Magnetic LM-210 SET amp (300B) with a choice of 4/8/16 ohm taps. Would either the SR1b or CA-1a be ok using the TI-1b interface (via the 16 ohm on the 300B amp), or would it be better to use the TI-1c interface which appears to be more suitable in general for these types of amps?
Totally OK, 16 Ohms matching is as good as 8 Ohms.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 1, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #7,759 of 7,883
You might want to try different taps on whatever transformer interface you get. My Benchmark HPA4 amp outputs 6W into 16 ohms and 3.5W into 32 ohms. I tried both and found the 16 ohm tap sounded slightly better in terms of bass and dynamics.

Apr 1, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #7,760 of 7,883
Some more findings after you had more time to listen? How is the bass comparing the two cables?
I finally had a chance to listen more to my SR-1b phones using the aftermarket Pine Tree Audio umbilical cable from my Benchmark HPA4 amp to the Ti-1b. I also have a Star 8 cable from the Ti-1b to the phones and Mitch convolution filters. And yes, the improvement is real. Everything is improved including some added warmth, bass weight, and especially fleshed-out midrange. Some of the edginess of the phones is gone in favor of midrange body, now more sustain while maintaining the attack only ribbon drivers can provide (I have never heard electrostatic phones, BTW), more body in addition to pluck. With these changes in sound it is becoming more and more difficult to listen to my other phones, no slouches themselves. I would term the improvements wrought by the umbilical cable on a par with those from the Star 8 cable and Mitch filters, the changes being that good. Maybe the new umbilical is now allowing me to hear what the Star 8 and Mitch filters are doing, who knows?

Look, I hate to criticize RAAL Requisite for their choice of umbilical cable in light of their bringing these terrific phones to us in the first place, but IMO you really aren't hearing what these phones are capable of when using the stock umbilical cable. From what I can gather, their attention was diverted elsewhere with bigger fish to fry and rightly so, but I think it well worthwhile to try some custom umbilical cables and see for yourselves. Mine only cost $75 and is well worth it.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #7,761 of 7,883
I finally had a chance to listen more to my SR-1b phones using the aftermarket Pine Tree Audio umbilical cable from my Benchmark HPA4 amp to the Ti-1b. I also have a Star 8 cable from the Ti-1b to the phones and Mitch convolution filters. And yes, the improvement is real. Everything is improved including some added warmth, bass weight, and especially fleshed-out midrange. Some of the edginess of the phones is gone in favor of midrange body, now more sustain while maintaining the attack only ribbon drivers can provide (I have never heard electrostatic phones, BTW), more body in addition to pluck. With these changes in sound it is becoming more and more difficult to listen to my other phones, no slouches themselves. I would term the improvements wrought by the umbilical cable on a par with those from the Star 8 cable and Mitch filters, the changes being that good. Maybe the new umbilical is now allowing me to hear what the Star 8 and Mitch filters are doing, who knows?

Look, I hate to criticize RAAL Requisite for their choice of umbilical cable in light of their bringing these terrific phones to us in the first place, but IMO you really aren't hearing what these phones are capable of when using the stock umbilical cable. From what I can gather, their attention was diverted elsewhere with bigger fish to fry and rightly so, but I think it well worthwhile to try some custom umbilical cables and see for yourselves. Mine only cost $75 and is well worth it.
I don’t think you have anything to apologise about, you have made some ‘tests’ and you have made some observations. It’s up to other people now to make the same kind of ‘tests’ with different connecting cables to see if their observations are similar. In reality it doesn’t matter what anybody else says or thinks, your observations are valid for yourself and that’s all that really matters.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #7,762 of 7,883
While waiting for the Immanis I took the opportunity to buy a used SR1A with a TI-1b. I needed some hours to adapt to the enormous soundstage (even if my Meze Elite with angled pads are not slough in this regard either). But as much as I tried - i became stressed listening to vocal music with the SR1A and got a feeling that something was wrong in the way the SR1A was presenting just voices.

I never have eq-ued my headphones before but this time it was clear for me that I had to do it - as I am especially sensible to peaks in the 2000Hz region. I tried Amirs EQ (at the ARS forum) in Roon-player with a drop of 3dB at 2000Hz and bass correction - and I was surprised over the results. Before I liked my Elite more in most regards but after using Amirs parameters I clearly favoured the SR1A in almost every regard (except for the warmth and the fluid sound of the Elite).

And I understand that the Raal will sound even better with a Star-8 cable and a new "unbilical" cable (maybe I will try a Lavricables Grand which I even use as XLR-cables in my chain). I will see if I will sell the SR1A again (and keeping the TI-1b) at the time I get the Immanis. Therefore I don´t try Mitch´s filter just now. For 50 dollar I would have bought it without knowing if I will keep the SR1A.

BTW - I like my Cen.grand Silver Fox with the SR1A. It adds some warmth without loosing any details and is highly musical.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #7,763 of 7,883
While waiting for the Immanis I took the opportunity to buy a used SR1A with a TI-1b. I needed som hours to adapt to the enormous soundstage (even if my Meze Elite with angled pads are not slough in this regard either). But as much as I tried - i became stressed listening to vocal music with the SR1A and got a feeling that something was wrong in the way the SR1A was presenting just voices.

I never have eq-ued my headphones before but this time it was clear for me that I had to do it - as I am especially sensible to peaks in the 2000Hz region. I tried Amirs EQ (at the ARS forum) in Roon-player with a drop of 3dB at 2000Hz and bass correction - and I was surprised over the results. Before I liked my Elite more in most regards but after using Amirs parameters I clearly favoured the SR1A in almost every regard (except for the warmth and the fluid sound of the Elite).

And I understand that the Raal will sound even better with a Star-8 cable and a new "unbilical" cable (maybe I will try a Lavricables Grand which I even use as XLR-cables in my chain). I will see if I will sell the SR1A again (and keeping the TI-1b) at the time I get the Immanis. Therefore I don´t try Mitch´s filter just now. For 50 dollar I would have bought it without knowing if I will keep the SR1A.

BTW - I like my Cen.grand Silver Fox with the SR1A. It adds some warmth without loosing any details and is highly musical.
I'm a little behind in this thread. What is this new "umbilical" cable you are talking about?

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #7,764 of 7,883
I'm a little behind in this thread. What is this new "umbilical" cable you are talking about?
Here is my post above explaining my trying an aftermarket umbilical cable between my BM amp and the Ti-1b.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #7,765 of 7,883
See rlawry´s posts from the past days: the cable between the headamp and the transformer interface.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #7,766 of 7,883
While waiting for the Immanis I took the opportunity to buy a used SR1A with a TI-1b. I needed som hours to adapt to the enormous soundstage (even if my Meze Elite with angled pads are not slough in this regard either). But as much as I tried - i became stressed listening to vocal music with the SR1A and got a feeling that something was wrong in the way the SR1A was presenting just voices.

Here is my take on cables and convolution filters for the SR-1a/b. IMO, and it is just my opinion, adding the Mitch Convolution Filters and/or upgraded cables evoke an evolutionary, and not revolutionary, change. If you really don't like what the SR-1a/b does, I seriously doubt the filters and/or cables will change the sound enough to change your mind about the sound. On the other hand, if you really like the SR-1a/b, the cables and filters will make a great-sounding phone even better and increase your love for them even more.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #7,767 of 7,883
While waiting for the Immanis I took the opportunity to buy a used SR1A with a TI-1b. I needed some hours to adapt to the enormous soundstage (even if my Meze Elite with angled pads are not slough in this regard either). But as much as I tried - i became stressed listening to vocal music with the SR1A and got a feeling that something was wrong in the way the SR1A was presenting just voices.

Based on my experience, Mitch filter set yields a much better result than Amir’s EQ. Perhaps you can try that if possible.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #7,768 of 7,883
See rlawry´s posts from the past days: the cable between the headamp and the transformer interface.
Cool. I got an upgraded umbilical cable when I bought the SR and CA from Raal. Silver...I assume Star-8. It doesn't apply to me anymore, because I use the VM-1a, but it's cool people are making cables for that. :L3000:

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #7,769 of 7,883
Based on my experience, Mitch filter set yields a much better result than Amir’s EQ. Perhaps you can try that if possible.
As far as I know there is no way to try Mitch´s filter in Roon. You just have to buy it for 200 dollar. And this is too much for me not knowing if I will keep the SR1A.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #7,770 of 7,883

With the SR1a, having some warmth before the phones solves a lot of the hotness issues. A DAC | preamp | amp should have 1 or more of those with a little warmth. Now this is without any filters, as I like to use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back