Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #7,741 of 7,847
Is that the “Bypass all Filters” slider?
You can do this or, at least on my copy of Roon, just enable or disable the downloaded Mitch convolution filter itself using the little slider button.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #7,742 of 7,847
You can do this or, at least on my copy of Roon, just enable or disable the downloaded Mitch convolution filter itself using the little slider button.
I prefer the bypass all filters slider. If you only turn off the convolution filter it leaves the Procedural EQ boost active and you get quite a large volume jump. The alternative is to have a preset called Bypass and just engage that when you want all filters off.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #7,744 of 7,847
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #7,745 of 7,847
It’s not going anywhere it’s just a question of how much use it will get; and if it does stay ‘active’ I will buy the SR-1b filter from Mitch, the one that includes the barrel compensation.

However, I have not found ANY combination with the SR1a where I can listen for long with neither compensation or filters. It is too fatiguing for me, even on the VM1a.

I don't use any filters with the VM1a. I always use the SR1b filter (the one that provides compensation so you can take the barrels out of the chain) when using my SR1a with another amp, though. For me, that SR1b filter (removing barrels) made a bigger SQ improvement over the SR1a filter+barrels than the SR1a filter+barrels made over no filter at all. I know that sounds crazy, but that SR1b filter (and removing the barrels) makes a huge difference to my ears.

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #7,746 of 7,847
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #7,747 of 7,847
Just wanted to post my findings of changing the short umbilical cable from my Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp to the T1-1b transformer interface. I have been using the stock umbilical cable and then my Star 8 silver cable from the Ti-1b to the SR-1b. I also use Mitch Convolution Filters, the neutral ones with extended low bass that add the open baffle compensation.

I bought a custom Pine Tree Audio double-ended male 4-pin XLR connector with the same geometry as the stock RAAL cable. The PTA cable is a silver-plated copper cable (not sure what type of copper but I am guessing OHFC) with Neutrik 4-pin XLR connectors. I paid $75 for the custom cable.

And wow! There is quite a difference in sound between the two. Everything with the PTA cable is more detailed and alive. I was listening to a China Crisis album on Qobuz/Roon and it was easier to hear how instruments are played and voices sung. Midrange had more immediacy and body while treble was more delicate and detailed. I am not sure about the bass yet but it was still there. The soundstage was larger and more transparent while dynamics were at least as good as stock. There was even a slight warmth added which IMO is somewhat unusual in that the increased detail didn't accompany a leaner and hyperdetailed sound.

I know RAAL has entertained the idea of a higher value umbilical cable but probably hasn't due to being busy with their new headphone rollout. In the meantime, for those of us who love the SR-1b, I highly recommend getting an aftermarket cable for what is really a reasonable price.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #7,748 of 7,847
Interesting! @rlawry can you show a pictue of your new cable? Which specs do I need to provide to an aftermarket cable manufacturer (I am thinking for example about Lavricables in Europe) to get the right cable?
I also wondered many times why Raal offers the Star-8 as upgraded headphone cable and not an upgrade for the cable which connects the interface with the headphone amp. I have an Immanis on order and want to use it with the T1-1b. Does the Immanis have a different cable which comes with their new interface?
@Aleksandar R. , do you have plans for a new cable?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #7,749 of 7,847
Interesting! @rlawry can you show a pictue of your new cable? Which specs do I need to provide to an aftermarket cable manufacturer (I am thinking for example about Lavricables in Europe) to get the right cable?
I also wondered many times why Raal offers the Star-8 as upgraded headphone cable and not an upgrade for the cable which connects the interface with the headphone amp. I have an Immanis on order and want to use it with the T1-1b. Does the Immanis have a different cable which comes with their new interface?
@Aleksandar R. , have you plans for a new cable?
Hello @yellowblue:

I attached a photo of the stock RAAL umbilical cable which is on the left, along with my Pine Tree Audio umbilical on the right. It is slightly longer but works the same. I did confirm with PTA that the cable wire is silver-plated OFC copper, so it is not pure silver like the Star 8 cable sold by RAAL. I am guessing RAAL never developed an upgraded umbilical as they indicate its effect less than the cable from the Ti-1a/b to the SR-1b which must be of a very low impedance so as not to change the spectral balance of the phones.

Attachments

• PineTreeAudio.jpg
    PineTreeAudio.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #7,750 of 7,847
Just wanted to post my findings of changing the short umbilical cable from my Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp to the T1-1b transformer interface. I have been using the stock umbilical cable and then my Star 8 silver cable from the Ti-1b to the SR-1b. I also use Mitch Convolution Filters, the neutral ones with extended low bass that add the open baffle compensation.

I bought a custom Pine Tree Audio double-ended male 4-pin XLR connector with the same geometry as the stock RAAL cable. The PTA cable is a silver-plated copper cable (not sure what type of copper but I am guessing OHFC) with Neutrik 4-pin XLR connectors. I paid $75 for the custom cable.

And wow! There is quite a difference in sound between the two. Everything with the PTA cable is more detailed and alive. I was listening to a China Crisis album on Qobuz/Roon and it was easier to hear how instruments are played and voices sung. Midrange had more immediacy and body while treble was more delicate and detailed. I am not sure about the bass yet but it was still there. The soundstage was larger and more transparent while dynamics were at least as good as stock. There was even a slight warmth added which IMO is somewhat unusual in that the increased detail didn't accompany a leaner and hyperdetailed sound.

I know RAAL has entertained the idea of a higher value umbilical cable but probably hasn't due to being busy with their new headphone rollout. In the meantime, for those of us who love the SR-1b, I highly recommend getting an aftermarket cable for what is really a reasonable price.
Hi @rlawry

FYI, when the Magna and Immanis were sent to me recently, they were sent with a new Star8 cable and a Star8 cable "umbilical" cord as well. It was longer than the stock version that used to come with the Ti1a, and appeared to be made form the same material as the new thicker Star8 for the Magna. It was also longer (I was stupid and didn't measure it, I'd guess 3 feet?). I do not know if there will be a similar one made for the new Immanis Star8 also, there is a different one for each new headphone now. Maybe @Aleksandar R. can clarify. I did not do any listening tests between them so cannot speak to that but wanted to let you know they may in fact already be in production.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #7,751 of 7,847
So, do we have an official release date on the Immanis?

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #7,753 of 7,847
About supply timeline, nothing is firmly known yet.
The last remaining parts will be delivered to us while I'm at CanJam SG.
Then those parts need to be polished, plated or anodized and go into assembly, if they are dimensionally correct in the first place.
If they are all OK, we will order more...

Things are moving, but I can't promise the dates, just a rough timeline.
We are currently finishing the Show-demos for CanJam SG and we will need to do the same, but in double quantity for Munich Shows.
And there are scheduled reviews that are long-overdue, so that has to be taken care of between SG and Munich.

So, once the Munich is over, we will breathe much easier and get a chance to work on pieces that so many people are waiting for to be delivered.

As we go, we will send small shipments out, so people that are waiting for longest, will be supplied as soon as possible, and then down the waiting list...

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 30, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #7,754 of 7,847
Hello @yellowblue:

I attached a photo of the stock RAAL umbilical cable which is on the left, along with my Pine Tree Audio umbilical on the right. It is slightly longer but works the same. I did confirm with PTA that the cable wire is silver-plated OFC copper, so it is not pure silver like the Star 8 cable sold by RAAL. I am guessing RAAL never developed an upgraded umbilical as they indicate its effect less than the cable from the Ti-1a/b to the SR-1b which must be of a very low impedance so as not to change the spectral balance of the phones.
Yes, the cable that goes between amp and Inteface is not critical for specs, so there really was no need to use STAR-8 topology for that position.

During the course of development, I haven't heard meaningful differences between several types of wires and cable topologies at those lengths and terminating impedances (4-32 Ohms), so never offered any upgrades as they would be superficial in my view.

I'm not saying that nobody can hear a difference and that it is insignificant to everyone, of course.
It's just that I don't see it as worth pursuing on my part, as it is an item with broad and generic specs that will all function properly, so it's not one of the primary tasks in pioneering the new headphone tech to the market among all other problems that had to be solved.

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Mar 31, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #7,755 of 7,847

Some more findings after you had more time to listen? How is the bass comparing the two cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back