Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #7,786 of 7,888
I'm not sure why the people who make this sort of filter don't also sell it as a standalone product through which a user can process a whole library of music files and then play those files back using whatever digital system they choose. I think their potential client base would be significantly expanded.

But they don't seem to. 🤔
Steve, does this work in practice for someone who owns several different headphones that each have 2 or 3 different filters e.g. neutral, neutral with bass, neutral with bass and treble? You’re saying process each music file for every combination of headphone and filters? So if I have 1000 CD,s, 5 headphones and 3 filters for each, I would end up with 15,000 versions of my CD’s, plus the 1000 file versions without the filters engaged? And then there’s my daily dose of streamed files from Qobuz that I can’t pre-process and store before I listen, or are you saying that’s how it would work? Seems somewhat easier to me to store the filters on a PC or a Mac and ‘point’ the music playback software to where they’re stored as a one-off at set-up and then select whatever filter I need each time I listen with a different headphone. That’s my counter 🤔

Apr 4, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #7,787 of 7,888
Steve, does this work in practice for someone who owns several different headphones that each have 2 or 3 different filters e.g. neutral, neutral with bass, neutral with bass and treble? You’re saying process each music file for every combination of headphone and filters? So if I have 1000 CD,s, 5 headphones and 3 filters for each, I would end up with 15,000 versions of my CD’s, plus the 1000 file versions without the filters engaged? And then there’s my daily dose of streamed files from Qobuz that I can’t pre-process and store before I listen, or are you saying that’s how it would work? Seems somewhat easier to me to store the filters on a PC or a Mac and ‘point’ the music playback software to where they’re stored as a one-off at set-up and then select whatever filter I need each time I listen with a different headphone. That’s my counter 🤔
Well would you really want all different filters on each of your tracks?

Personally buying a Filter would be only of interest to me if it's a simple file that I can load into Roon or any Convolution DSP Software of my desire. This would also work with Software Steve mentioned, to convolve files with the Filter to have it active on any device (even DAPs that can't use convolution filters)

I can see why he did it the way he did. You could easily share such a File and he wouldn't sell anymore, but without the ability to use them without PC they are useless to me personally

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #7,788 of 7,888
Well would you really want all different filters on each of your tracks?

Personally buying a Filter would be only of interest to me if it's a simple file that I can load into Roon or any Convolution DSP Software of my desire. This would also work with Software Steve mentioned, to convolve files with the Filter to have it active on any device (even DAPs that can't use convolution filters)

I can see why he did it the way he did. You could easily share such a File and he wouldn't sell anymore, but without the ability to use them without PC they are useless to me personally
Maybe I haven’t got my head around what this ‘product’ actually looks like or what it does. Is it a piece of hardware, like the Roon Nucleus, that has an operating system and the application to run the convolution filters? Or is it like an App that is operating system agnostic?

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #7,789 of 7,888
Maybe I haven’t got my head around what this ‘product’ actually looks like or what it does. Is it a piece of hardware, like the Roon Nucleus, that has an operating system and the application to run the convolution filters? Or is it like an App that is operating system agnostic?
To explain what Software we're talking about I checked accurate sounds Website again.

And in fact he does sell the convolution filters as files that you can just load into Roon or use to convolve your files with. (Which classified as stand alone to me)

It seems only the "trial of a convolution filter" is tied to the Software Hang Loose Convolver. The actual filters also work with Roon etc

I'm not sure why the people who make this sort of filter don't also sell it as a standalone product through which a user can process a whole library of music files and then play those files back using whatever digital system they choose. I think their potential client base would be significantly expanded.

But they don't seem to. 🤔
To me it seems like the convolution filters are sold as stand alone files bundled in a zip (a filterset for each sample rate)

The convolution filters can then be convolved with your music files to store them in altered Form on a DAP.

Or did I missunderstand as "stand alone product" in this context?

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #7,790 of 7,888
By all means run the filter software in real time on your pc or mac. They're is no reason not to do that.

I think I would say that that doesn't work for people like me who use a purpose-built music file server, such as Innuous Zen. Those devices cannot run filter software as part of their design is to pare their own "operating system" down to the bare necessities so as to reduce electrical noise associated with their own processing.

What such servers need is to be loaded with pre-processed files.

Furthermore, people who want to use personal systems while out and about would also be customers for such software as they can load their DAPs (or equivalent) with processed files appropriate for the DAP and headphones of their choice.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #7,791 of 7,888
@MokhaMark Great writeup.

Today I received an XLR cable from Kitsune for the Holo Serene KTE preamp. It connects to the RAAL headphone output cable and that takes it into the TI-1b. I was not expecting this to work too well with the CA-1a because the preamp's headphone XLR only outputs 3 watts. However, it does work rather nicely, though the volume on the preamp must be set around 80% for a comfortable volume level. The sound is very nice. A slightly warmer Benchmark HPA4.

This Friday, I will finally have time to drive down to RAAL-Requisite in Ventura. I will take the Serene preamp and this new cable to hear the new 1995 phones. I will also take my VM-1a amp if Danny does not have a VM-1a at the shop. The Serene could be great with the Immanis.

On a side note. I started using a neck brace 2 days ago while I work. I listen most of the day to 2-channel. I moved some gear around and put all of it back together over the weekend. The last 2 days as I was listening, I was getting a tiny bit of fatigue, and I thought it was the neck brace messing with my ears. When I went to plug in the new Serene headphone XLR cable today I noticed that I had mistakenly connected XLR1 and XLR2 to my 2-channel amp. The headphone XLR is much lower in power than the 2-channel XLR. After resetting to proper connections, the fatigue is gone.
Have fun tomorrow in Ventura. Bring Danny a good cigar if you can. He loves a good cigar.

We all look forward to your impressions of the new headphones. If the Serene works at all well with the CA1a i suspect it may be brilliant with the new headphones.

Sounds like Danny is sold out of the VM1a so bring yours if you can safely get it there.

I have a Schiit Kara coming Saturday. I want to see if the active pre-amp will give DNA Stratus enough juice for the ribbons. It have been listening to the SR1a at low levels with the Stratus and it is amazing for acoustic music. The VM1a is more powerful, for sure, but for piano music, not better.

I feel like we are entering a golden era for ribbons. It is all exciting.

Have fun tomorrow and keep us informed. You are about to have your mind blown!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #7,792 of 7,888
Could anyone tell me if the Accurate Sound filters work in JRiver Media Centre? (I'm a noob with filters, but apparently JRiver does seem to be able to use filters, just not sure if these particular ones though.......)

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #7,793 of 7,888
To explain what Software we're talking about I checked accurate sounds Website again.

And in fact he does sell the convolution filters as files that you can just load into Roon or use to convolve your files with. (Which classified as stand alone to me)

It seems only the "trial of a convolution filter" is tied to the Software Hang Loose Convolver. The actual filters also work with Roon etc

To me it seems like the convolution filters are sold as stand alone files bundled in a zip (a filterset for each sample rate)

The convolution filters can then be convolved with your music files to store them in altered Form on a DAP.

By all means run the filter software in real time on your pc or mac. They're is no reason not to do that.

I think I would say that that doesn't work for people like me who use a purpose-built music file server, such as Innuous Zen. Those devices cannot run filter software as part of their design is to pare their own "operating system" down to the bare necessities so as to reduce electrical noise associated with their own processing.

What such servers need is to be loaded with pre-processed files.

Furthermore, people who want to use personal systems while out and about would also be customers for such software as they can load their DAPs (or equivalent) with processed files appropriate for the DAP and headphones of their choice.
I’ve got the filters installed on a MacBook Pro in a “Filters Folder” and then it’s easy to point Roon at the Folder to ‘install’ them. This only needs to be done once. I don’t need the MacBook to be running once I’ve done the set-up. I can also use my DAP as a Roon endpoint when I’m at home and the filters work fine with this, but I lose this capability once I’m away from home. The filters can also be set-up in HQPlayer but they must be mono files for this to work. Mitch explains how to do this when you buy the filters from him.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #7,798 of 7,888
A loosely related topic. For Sr-1a or b meant cable is different? from the cable meant for CA-1a. I bought by accident the former cable for CA-1a. Might this SR1 cable work decently well with CA1a and JotunheimR or other direct ribbon headphone amps?
When R-r introduced the TI-1 interface, the cables belonged to it, not to the headphones.
In other words, we were shipping a set of headphones with the TI-1 with same cables for either SR or CA.

The upgrade Silver cable is also good for both.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #7,799 of 7,888
When R-r introduced the TI-1 interface, the cables belonged to it, not to the headphones.
In other words, we were shipping a set of headphones with the TI-1 with same cables for either SR or CA.

The upgrade Silver cable is also good for both.
Thanks! I wondered this as I bought a third party Litz cable for Raal, it's used with SR1-a and the odd thing is that it sounds at least -15db under the SC2-cable level. So perhaps it is a somehow faulty or injured cable. This big level differences ain't normal I guess.

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #7,800 of 7,888
Thanks! I wondered this as I bought a third party Litz cable for Raal, it's used with SR1-a and the odd thing is that it sounds at least -15db under the SC2-cable level. So perhaps it is a somehow faulty or injured cable. This big level differences ain't normal I guess.
You are talking about using that cable with TI-1 Interface, right?

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back