Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #7,802 of 7,883
Hi All!

I'm now convinced that this headphone will be my next purchase after seeing all the reviews and having a chance to listen to them at Canjam. However, I'm somewhat confused as to how the transformer box works so I can use my tube amplifier. I know the headphone comes with a cable that terminated in XLR and another 2 sets of RCA cables?

Do I plug the XLR headphone cable straight into the amplifier and then do RCA from the transformer box to the amplifier?

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #7,803 of 7,883
Hi All!

I'm now convinced that this headphone will be my next purchase after seeing all the reviews and having a chance to listen to them at Canjam. However, I'm somewhat confused as to how the transformer box works so I can use my tube amplifier. I know the headphone comes with a cable that terminated in XLR and another 2 sets of RCA cables?

Do I plug the XLR headphone cable straight into the amplifier and then do RCA from the transformer box to the amplifier?
Headphone connects to transformer box, transformer box connects to headphone output of your tube amp. Transformer box just presents a more acceptable load for your amplifier.

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #7,804 of 7,883
Headphone connects to transformer box, transformer box connects to headphone output of your tube amp.
Ah I see so what cables does the transformer come with? For example, if I wanted to use the XLR, 1/4 jack outputs on the amp

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #7,805 of 7,883
Wrong thread, post deleted

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #7,807 of 7,883
Yes, with TI-1b. 16 and 32 ohms are about the same levels. I bought also a JotR, which is in service now and haven't had a chance to test the cable with it yet.
Well, the headphone cable for the TI-1b should have the resistance of about 0.25 Ohms.
If it's about 15dB quieter, then it's probably triple that.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #7,808 of 7,883
Well, the headphone cable for the TI-1b should have the resistance of about 0.25 Ohms.
If it's about 15dB quieter, then it's probably triple that.
So if the cable's resistance is so high, it might be a deliberate compensation for Jot R's power reserve's i guess. I'll be propably able to test the cable with Ca-1a and Jot R soon. Thanks!

Apr 10, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #7,809 of 7,883
So if the cable's resistance is so high, it might be a deliberate compensation for Jot R's power reserve's i guess. I'll be propably able to test the cable with Ca-1a and Jot R soon. Thanks!
Or it might be nothing at all. Ask the cable designer what was the goal, I really have no idea what are we talking about.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #7,810 of 7,883
Or it might be nothing at all. Ask the cable designer what was the goal, I really have no idea what are we talking about.
Thanks. We must surely end this ghost discussion. Possibly this remains a mystery for ever, I haven't been able to figure out the designer or contacting the main seller either. I can anyhow return the cable to the private seller during next couple of weeks.

Apr 11, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #7,811 of 7,883
Sorry one last query.

Does it work well with transformer based tube headphone amplifiers such as the Cayin HA-3A?

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #7,812 of 7,883
Sorry one last query.

Does it work well with transformer based tube headphone amplifiers such as the Cayin HA-3A?
Do you mean Raal SR-1a with Cayin HA-3a? CA-1a works just fine with Cayin Ha-3a and TI-1b although it gives only 850mW per channel. SR-1a sounds about 4 db quieter , if I've understood right, but I tend to remember that in a headfonia review the reviewer was astonished how well the "underpowered" Ha-3a worked with Raal SR-1.
With CA-1a the 12 o'clock vol pot position is usually enough. With SR-1a perhaps 14 if you have more gain from DAC's balanced output's.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #7,813 of 7,883
Thanks. We must surely end this ghost discussion. Possibly this remains a mystery for ever, I haven't been able to figure out the designer or contacting the main seller either. I can anyhow return the cable to the private seller during next couple of weeks.
If I may try to contribute based on earlier entries deep in other threads by @Aleksandar R.

Because of the extremely low impedance of the ribbons, all of them, the cable becomes a critical part of the chain. Raal designs the cables specifically for each different headphone to give a full frequency response. Conventional headphones do not have this requirement and so exotic cables and designs can simply have the right terminations applied and they can be marketed as better (and maybe they in fact are).

With the ribbons, simply applying the right pinouts and terminations to what may otherwise be an astonishing cable for conventional headphones may not work well with the very specific demands of the ribbons.

Unless a cable maker has consulted with and/or already knows the targeted impedance for the cable, or knows how to calculate it for the impedance of the ribbons as Aleks does, then everything is just a roll of the dice.

For this reason, the Raal cables are not simply a fancy "upsell" to the headphones, but more or less part of the headphone. Speaking for myself, I'd be fine if they soldered them strait into the headphone as is done with the Valkyria for example.

I may be stating something you already know, but I'd be wary buying a 3rd party cable simply terminated and pinned correctly not to blow up with the ribbons unless it is verified the cable's impedance was well considered for the Raal headphone. In fact, early in my ribbon adventure I spend $$$ on a famous Japanese cable and it was not successful with the SR1a, to my ears.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #7,814 of 7,883
In addition to the great explanation of the headphone cable above that connects the transformer interface to the headphones and has critical specifications, I might add that a little experimentation with the umbilical cable that connects the transformer interface to a headphone amp is also productive. And the good news is that cable impedance is less critical for this cable. I found an inexpensive Pine Tree Audio cable made a worthwhile improvement in sound quality.

Apr 11, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #7,815 of 7,883
Speaking for myself, I'd be fine if they soldered them strait into the headphone as is done with the Valkyria for example.
I completely understand why you say that, but just to throw out another opinion: I hope RAAL continues to make the cable detachable because I really don't want to have to send the entire headphone in for repair if just the cable gets damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back